Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
edited April 2017 in The Universal Membrane
Just curious what the general opinion amongst Achaean is.

Comments

• Anyone who votes "no" doesn't know the true meaning of christmas:

Bruce Willis and explosions.
  • I wouldn't say "Absolutely not" but... It depends on your definition of the word 'Christmas Movie'...

In the traditional sense of the definition, no, it's not a Christmas Movie...
    ...In the sense that it's a movie, that occurs on/around the time of Christmas, then yes it is.
  • It's a great Christmas movie, along with other 80s mainstays like Gremlins and Lethal Weapon.
  • edited April 2017
    I have a tradition of watching Charlie Brown Christmas followed by Die Hard. Very much a Christmas movie 
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    stuff
    Well, that settles it.  =)

/thread
    Click here for Nexus packages
    Currently available: Abs, Cnote, Keepalive, Lootpet, Mapmod
  • Never seen it.. Yup
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    I voted but then Bluji changed my mind.

Nothing beats Elf, though.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited April 2017
    Elf is an abomination to the world and should be quickly sacrificed and slaughtered, lest we all fall to Oblivion irl.

(I have no opinion of Die Hard - I am among the "not actually seen it" camp.)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I think the main things I considered regarding this was the fact that Christmas is not a staple of the plot. The movie can play out easily enough on Thanksgiving, or any day really. 

That the story takes place around Christmas, and has some Christmas decorations doesn't make it a Christmas movie. I think it's a really good action movie.

Essentially a man is visiting his wife and daughter, which happens to be during Christmas. The office party is hosted by a Japanese company to, primarily, celebrate the closure of a recent deal. Due to the timing, they essentially decide to merge the celebrations in respect of the location and culture. 

Not to mention it was released in July. If you take away the setting of Christmas Eve, it's simply an action film on par with Con Air.

• Not only is it a Christmas movie, it is the best Christmas movie.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Not only Die Hard, but also Lethal Weapon: What says Christmas better than a coked up prostitute jumping off a balcony to the tune of Jingle Bell Rock?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Christmas movies in my house have been defined by the BBC over the years, they include Jurassic Park, Batteries Not Included, Flight of the Navigator, Ferngully, Muppet Treasure Island, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks (to name a few.)

Nothing featuring Bruce Willis will ever be permitted on my TV at any time of the year.
  • No Pulp Fiction, Die Hard, or The Fifth Element? :(:(:(
  • Not many people know this, but "yippie ki-yay motherfucker" was actually a traditional Christmas greeting long before Roy Rogers misappropriated it in the 1950s.   The Lethal Weapon franchise was an attempt to restore Christmas values by instilling new generations with traditional festive language.
  • Image result for the grinch

Photo circa 2012 of Nicola when finding Die Hard in her house.
  • Minifie said:
    Image result for the grinch

Photo circa 2012 of Nicola when finding Die Hard in her house, colourised.
    FTFY

• I just really hate Bruce Willis. :(
  • It is not only the best christmas movie (and one me and my friends watch religiously every christmas eve) it is the best date movie too. 

• Nicola said:
    I just really hate Bruce Willis. :(
    Any particular reason, or just a 6th sense about these things?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sobriquet said:
    Nicola said:
    Any particular reason, or just a 6th sense about these things?
    There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion. (OK, that was Brad Pitt's character, but 12 Monkeys is still a Bruce Willis movie)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm on the Bruce Willis love-train right now since there's a chance that they might do an actual Unbreakable sequel after Split's success. <3 

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    yes   

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    It is on the telly at Christmas, thus it must be a Christmas movie.
  • It occurs during Christmas, it has Christmas decorations, it has Christmas carols... it's totally a Christmas movie.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • I don't understand why so many people want to limit themselves to watching Die Hard only at Christmas.
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    OMG, the quarterback is toast!

Nicola said:
    You may not like Bruce, @Nicola, but you have to at least give Argyle a chance. And of course, Hans Gruber will always have a warm spot in my heart.
    Skye said:
    ...Unbreakable sequel...
    I hope so -- this would be an amazing thing. :open_mouth:

• I like Olive the Other Reindeer!