Magic: The Gathering?

I used to play this (mediocrely) in high school/uni, and our company's having a little mini tournament between teams, one of the games being MtG - I agreed to play it for my team but I haven't played in a while! There's also a con coming up and I like collecting the playmats (because they're pretty and I use them as big mousepads).

The last time I played was U/R scissors, but I'm not very familiar with the current Kaladesh block. Tournaments are probably going to be limited, either draft or sealed. Anyone knowledgeable want to give me a quick rundown on the limited format :D? Big draft bombs or colour strengths?

Comments

• Blue-black control mill OP
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I miss maze's end. 5 color control w/ gatekeepers was fun as fuck (for me, at least. I can't say the same for my opponents), especially with the kiora infinite wombo combo.
    Huh. Neat.
  • someone say wumbo combo?

Tolarian Academy
  • I could have swore I posted in this thread earlier today. U/G, R/G is stupid good in sealed right now, but it's super commonly drafted because of that. Even W/G works amazingly with a slightly different play style. I haven't played in a few months, I only really do sealed events nowadays because standard is expensive.

In terms of major picks, I can't really think of anything off-hand except for Chief of the Foundry, Snare Thopter, or Filigree Familiar, just way too much value for them being uncommons to not first-pick.

Also, if you see a Welding Sparks with good R support, G/R, do it. It's crazy good removal. Renegade Freighter's a good pickup too, for a 3 drop. Same with Nature's Way, same with Servant of the Conduit, they brought back mana elves, basically.
  • Smuggler's copter just got banned in Standard so pick up any of those in limited as you can if you want to play with them. 
  • I still have my old decks - but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay long ago. I had a black deck I loved and a green meanie that picked you to bit with little things.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I don't even keep up with what's "Standard" these days. I don't play competitively or even enough to bother with all of that. I play recreational with friends when the stars align on a rare occasion that we can all be assembled in one place, usually once a year. That's good enough and enjoyable enough for me, and I find the cards pretty fascinating.

• edited March 2017
    I don't know...well, anything really about Magic, but my boyfriend is actually opening up a card shop for anyone that's interested in taking a look when it's up. From what I've heard the pricing is actually fantastic.

EDIT: Went and grabbed a screenshot from the in-progress site.

Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh hurty, duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh fighty, hurty, fighty, hurty, fighty, slicey, slicey, facey, kickey -

art stream / twitter / ko-fi
    Let me know when it's fully up and running, I'll be glad to check it out.

• Absolutely will! ^^
    Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh hurty, duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh fighty, hurty, fighty, hurty, fighty, slicey, slicey, facey, kickey -

art stream / twitter / ko-fi
  • I like blisterpod, I can see it being a fun as heck card in overrun decks :D.
  • Going to be playing tomorrow/next few days~ Borrowing a Maelstrom Wanderer EDH deck and my girlfriend has a Ezuri, Renegade leader deck, and we're going to join a few tables together. I think I'll try an AER/KAL draft, I practiced a few and seems like I do pretty decently.
  • I'm going to go crack out my slide deck for a bit of fun on saturday in open. I have so much fun sliding things in and out and watching newer players go "the heck was that combo?".

Wish I had the cards to do green/white slide, but red/white slide is still good too.
  • Didn't play as much as I hoped to over the weekend, buuuuut I picked up a copy of Planechase:Anthology for <90$! Excited to add more weird things to EDH~
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    I miss playing so much. I still have about a thousand cards in some shoeboxes in my closet and my favorite red/blue deck in its own little box. Don't know anyone who plays anymore unfortunately.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • edited March 2017
    @Kenway try looking around for a local game store? They all tend to have at least one Magic night. It also turned out I had a lot more friends who played than I had thought, some of whom I'd never have guessed! Since I also had some cards laying around, I just put them together in semi-functional decks and we've sorta started up a game night together. You should query your particular chosen social media outlet or whatever!
    Vallie said:
    @Kenway try looking around for a local game store? They all tend to have at least one Magic night. It also turned out I had a lot more friends who played than I had thought, some of whom I'd never have guessed! Since I also had some cards laying around, I just put them together in semi-functional decks and we've sorta started up a game night together. You should query your particular chosen social media outlet or whatever!
    I've thought about doing this, but my concern (aside from general introvertedness) is that I don't know the different core types, and most places seem to like to stick to Standard.

I have a lot of cards and need to go through them all, but I basically just play casually the instances myself and a few friends spread out manage to converge into one location.

Hell, we've played in a Whataburger at 2am on a Tuesday once when some of them were passing through during a move.

• Store-wise I've found most of them tend to devote different nights to different things. Most of the cities I've been to I've poked my head into a LGS just to see what they do (and because we have a thing about collecting pretty playmats and using them for mousepads >.>), and that seems to be the trend. Plus, while there's usually a competitive core, there's always a bunch of people who don't have the funds/time to get into that, and just want to play with what cards they've gotten over the years :)