IRE M.U.D.S

13»

Comments

• I hit Aspect on Imperian yesterday... that was the easiest one out of dragon and demigod IMO. 

• Fully agree with the Lusternia analysis.

I lost a lot of hope for this game over the years, and even touching it again makes me cringe. At this point a Shallam may be the only solution.

I definitely still stand by the amazing if not best mythos and lore I have read. Robert French is a creative writer and naturally this is where he would shine....sadly not so much in othet aspects.
  • edited February 2017
    Asmodron said:
    Melaina said:
    Asmodron My biggest MKO regret was not multi-classing shadowpriest. My char, Yamani, was a thief in Banath's order, but I put off multi-classing because priests got extra requirements to advance and who wants that? At the end of the world, everyone got all skills, but I retired pretty fast when it became clear everyone was just running round the world talking OOC, so I never tried it out.

I can say, hands down, that shadowpriest in MKO was one of my most favorite classes I have played in all my years of IRE.

Priest in MKO in general was an amazing concept. It's abilities being literally based on the God you choose to follow, made it really feel like a Priest experience.

I shall definitely miss it.
    I started out as a Priest in SSG when MkO first started out. My friends and I picked different classes because we wanted to be able to complement each other's skillset if we ever took to PK and stuff. I quickly fell in love with Banath's realm as well. That they personalised the priest skillset to match the god you serve is pretty enjoyable, but it made for a very tough experience when Radakail (then CL) went on a witch hunt in SSG against Banath priests when he got kicked from the order for stuff. Because I never bought credits on the character, she got deleted over time even though she was an elder, because I invested more time in achaea and didn't log in for a while.

Along the same vein, I tried the Earthsingers in Imperian, which I found really interesting (they serve as the voices of nature) and also a good reason why I love Eleusis here on Achaea. There's so much potential left to be established and explored here, since Nature in Achaea is more than just the woods. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of people playing on Imperian when I usually log in. I think my character might have been deleted. Achaea is still the best MUD for me. Not only have I found people who login around the same time as I do, I have a bunch of people whom I am enthused to log in and play with!

• Yep definitely remember said witch-hunt

I find it humorous how darkness/shadow faiths gain the most suspicion and paranoia ^^
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Predator class in Imperian is pretty damn amazing, love it.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Predator class in Imperian is legitimately broken, or at least it was when I quit. Zero viable kill methods, zero team contributions, zero worthwhile utility. I had an L2 class weapon and an artifact darthsheath with L3 strength and my literal best option in teamfights was "wield artifact claymore and SLASH @TARGET".

It was a literal newbie trap. People would start playing, go "So how do I fight with this class?" and then find that the answer is "It's impossible. The best fighters in the game with L3 everything have looked over it extensively and their collective opinion is that this class is literal garbage, they should remove it from the intro, you never should have been allowed to choose it, pick a new class while you still have 90% lesson return, you seriously cannot PvP in this class even if you buy every artifact in the game", and then they quit.

By the time I quit the game Predator had been in that state for, oh, at least a few RL years. It's one of my major complaints about the production team there and one of the reasons I decided to retire. They did several full class revamps of viable professions over that time period, all while Predator sat as a completely non-viable newbie trap.
  • Predator my favorite IRE class. AB Predation is literally the coolest skill set in all games. 

Unfortunately, I am a PKer.  Can we just steel that class?
  • Mizik said:
    Predator my favorite IRE class. AB Predation is literally the coolest skill set in all games. 

Unfortunately, I am a PKer.  Can we just steel that class?
    It does sound rather metal.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • With that said, here's my thoughts:

Aetolia: 
    • Combatwise, the big thing here is that curing orders are static. That is to say, herbs always cure afflictions in the same order. If you have clumsiness and asthma and eat kelp, it will cure clumsiness first every time. This means that it is stupidly easy to get affliction tracking working with 100% accuracy and that means that combat is incredibly automated. Has a very mechanical feel. I'm really not a fan. 
    • Storywise, also not really a fan. I feel like Vampires lose something when they're brought down to the level of a player class that has to exist in a balanced PK environment, because it's hard to get that vampire terror-of-the-night thing going when they're balanced around 1v1's with everybody else. That's true for both the vampires and the non-vampires; vamps don't get to feel badass, regulars miss out on the feeling of having that horrifically powerful antagonist. Since Aetolia's billed as "the vampire IRE" it automatically fell short for me there.
    • Playerwise, the feeling I get from their RP playerbase is they seem like the kind of people who enjoy the smell of their own farts. Very smug, very into five line emotes about how difficult is is to be a hero when the truth is that the 'evil' side has the same try-hard edgelord motif as Nazi Cthulhu Cultist Skeletor and 'being a hero' requires nothing more than "try not to be absolute chaotic kitten-slaying evil".
    Imperian: 
    • Combatwise: A bit overbalanced. I feel like the game's made most of the classes so complex that the average player isn't going to get real use out of them. It's like giving a soccer mom a supercar, only to have her never take it above 55 and complain about the lack of trunk space. Sure, the car is sweet as hell, but they're never gonna use 99% of the features and they'd almost certainly be happier with a decent hatchback that gets good gas mileage. They don't have static curing orders, but their classes still require a large amount of affliction tracking, at a pace that's so fast that it basically has to be automated. What happened here is that they have a small playerbase and their combat environment was dominated for so long by a small handful of A-list fighters that the game basically balanced around the A-list and neglected to leave reasonable kill paths for casual players.
    • Storywise: It started out pretty good, but a decade of mediocre events has made it, well, mediocre. Huge potential here but they always managed to just fall short of it. The city of the gods rejecting magic on religious grounds could have been awesome, except they gave all the other cities gods who liked magic. Should have just given the other factions a Demonic Court and Elemental Spirits or whatever. Killed off all of the gods, which was awesome. Completely neglected to address the fact that they had an entire fucking city based on the gods, which was less awesome. Let Antioch ally with the Blood not-quite-a-God of the Orcish Horde, which was awesome. Realized that this meant that the Orcs had a chance to win events and canceled the alliance with a one line public post from the Blood God, who's been silent ever since. Designed a three-faction world specifically to avoid having one side be Chaotic Evil, only ever run events whose only two sides are things like "Release potentially world-ending hellplagues for no fucking reason at all" and "that's a horrid idea we should avoid that".
    • Playerwise: I like most of the playerbase, but there's not enough of them to maintain a healthy game. 
    Lusternia:
    Haven't really played much Lusternia. Retired my Aetolian, made a character there to play with friends, got too fed up with the lack of server-side curing and the absolutely fucking stupid planar system that results in "cwho" having 2 names on it along with a tag that reads something like "Oh and 12 other people you're not allowed to see or hear, if you want to talk to people you can either trans planar or go fuck yourself".

Achaea:
    It's the best of them all, largely due to a large playerbase giving it an active feeling and a living world. Also has, by far, the best production team of any of the games, in large part due to the fact that the person who does combat balance in Achaea actually knows how to fight, which doesn't really seem to be the case anywhere else, judging by the kind of stuff that gets approved/released over there.
  • Predator got something changed recently... but I saw people getting cirisosis kills pretty easily just using one sitara combo to aff it then twinshot at like 1.3s. I'm about to pick up outrider next week, but currently rocking Templar. I love Templar. 

• edited February 2017
    Predator was getting Cirisosis kills easily if they had an artifact dart pouch or it was in groups. Otherwise, Predator was indeed in a state where it was pretty bluh for years up until they got Beastmastery and Quarter. Class is decent otherwise. Templar is definitely good as Septus has consistently demonstrated. Outrider is a fantastic class, however, with a lot of versatility and flavor. I will always be partial to Warden because it has Incendiary Arrows as a finisher which blow people up like old Puppetry Obliterate. Collect limb trophies.

@Nazihk Our RP'ers aren't really all that smug. Some have their cliques, sure, but we're not so self-absorbed that we won't take the time to interact with folks. The five line emotes can be definitely be common, however, depending on who is RP'ing. Combat wise, we do have static curing orders. In my experience though, people who completely automate their combat generally end up losing against some folks. The exception might be Syssin (Serpent on steroids) in its current state because... well, it's Syssin. Can make you fail on your herb eats via an affliction that operates off a separate shadow balance, hypnosis can have the same affliction repeatedly in your hypnostack, they can knock you off herb bal with the shadow balance, and just all kinds of other crazy things. Additionally, our guy who handles combat balance still maintains a system as far as I know and gets down into the trenches to test things. I'd actually go as far to say that Aetolia's combat balance is in one of the better shapes it has been in a long time with a few outliers. The game was horrendous back when the liaison system was in place because liaisons just became a massive partisan battle.
  • @Mizik had Warden down to a science at one point. Was fun to watch people explode 

• edited February 2017
    Dunn said:
    @Mizik had Warden down to a science at one point. Was fun to watch people explode 
    Yep! Very straight forward class. Prep both legs or prep one leg and 1-2 other limbs. Hit with butisol (salve bal extend) on the non-leg break, double sleep on leg break to prone, swap to bow, quickshot incendiary, bashimpale person, withdraw blade, pinshot (impale shot) with deaf strip and then battlecry. They die when incendiary goes boom.