New to the game, roleplaying and the city of Targossas.

Hey everyone. - Feel free to jump to the 3rd paragraph -

Name's Arthedric and as mentioned in the title, I'm pretty much new to all this concept revolving Achaea as a game and universe, and the whole roleplaying aspect in games. If I were to point out my experience regarding RP in a simplistic way, it would be 1 out of 10, to be honest. I tried to do it in the past for a very short amount of time and I've been very observant to players over the course of the years in many games on this matter, so at least I have a general basic idea on what to expect in the future when I begin getting into it myself.

Here's the rundown. I'm currently playing as a Human Paladin in Targossas. I'm taking my time getting to know how everything works gameplay-wise to ensure I get the hang of it as soon as possible, and as of right now, everything is going at a good pace. Another thing I'm doing is enjoying in the preparations of my character in terms of early development in both gameplay (stats, skills and gear) and role base, and this is something I don't intend to rush for these early days. Aside from that, I'm also taking time processing all the information I can inside the city through exploration, reading from sources and parallel to the info I'm getting in-game I'm reading the mythos on the main website to get to know the base concept of the game. I'm doing all of this while maintaining a low profile for the time being until I gain enough "material" to work upon.

I'm not having trouble in these previous aspects. What I'm here for is RP, specifically, the general RP encompassing the player base and what it has to offer. I want to know about the general jargon used by players (if there's any) in the roleplaying that originated here. Related to this on a more specific way, what do citizens of Targossas tend to normally use as a way of referring to others, greetings, farewells, formalities, common exclamations (for every aspect) and such. Any other jargon used on/when visiting other cities? Regarding the world, Is there any major adventurer situation going on as of this date that you think a character should be aware of? Things like a small conflict, a war, peace (IF they are common known/exposed information of course, I'm not gonna ask for news that should be discovered by oneself)... What about a particularly stand out event in the history of Achaea (not covered on the mythos nor the scriptures in the city, since I'm already reading those)? I'm asking for these two with a RP approach because I intend for my character to be aware of the world around him for his role base so I can start building upon it.

That's it for now. If you have anything else you think should be nice to know for RP purposes, I'd be glad to read it. Tips for a novice roleplayer, any encouragement, experiences to share... I'd appreciate it. <- This part is not quite required, since I'm sure the other recent posts may have this info, so I'll check them. Just one last thing, I'm well aware that maybe some of these questions can be answered in-game by consulting other adventurers. Thing is, I read that you could talk to them OOC through TELL IF the person is ok with it. On top of that I don't really want to take their RP time in-game or disrupt their activities, out of politeness. So I'll play it safe for everyone and ask here, I hope it's understandable. But if I see someone is ok to use TELL in that way, I'll make sure to contact that person.

Thanks for the attention.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    The best advice I can give is used for any character you may make or use: Interact with people as much as possible. Citizens, enemies, rogues, randoms while bashing, heck, send tells to some of us IC and strike up conversation! Send tells and stuff just using your best language, and make your backstory vague and flesh it out as you meet more people, you may meet an -awesome- Hashani who you love interacting with, maybe they were an old mentor, or friend, or maybe they will take you in as family or gladly create an RP that you can extend with your character itself.

I've found my Roleplay for Minifie evolves, expands and reflects those around me, the more people I meet the more I expand her character. I can speak high english, be an evil Messiah or a traveling minstrel, but if you set up loose ideas and flesh them out with interactions you'll find your character evolves in amazing ways. 

However, if you have an amazing RP idea you think would be amazing fun to play out as, I recommend speaking to players like @Quisse, @Aerek, @Jurixe (there are many others but I am only aware of these personally flat off the top of my head!)

Also note I'm pretty placid* RPer, I find my character reflects me a fair bit, and I try to simply make sure I don't blow the character completely out, or at least have IC reasoning for anything I do.

*Synonym for awful
  • Don't worry about greetings so much in Targossas!  It's a sort of show-don't-tell thing, but more-or-less.  Whenever you enter the realms, "Hail the Dawn." over CT works.  And when leaving, "Light and Fire guide." works perfectly fine.

The usual, proper, way to greet someone over CT if you don't know them is by the prefix.  So, for say.. Frederich.  It would be, "Hail, Ensign."  For Xaden, it would be, "Hail, Guardian."

Things like that.  I'm still new to Targossas too, and a lot of the stuff just comes naturally.  However the RP is really rich if you look a bit for it, namely in the Harbingers.  There's so much damn RP there.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    edited February 2017
    I don't play in Targ anymore, but I did for several RL years.

For your faction, the go-to greeting is (was?) "Hail the Dawn." Your goodbye is "May the Light and Fire lead," to which others may (or may not?) respond with "and we shall never fail to follow." "Light and Fire guide" is another popular one, as @Frederich noted.

Your city is currently rolling around Sapience like a bunch of drunk hillbillies bent on doing nothing but off-roading and detonating tanks in other cities. Targ is in a period of relative strength, having benefitted from active patrons and a change in leadership. After many years of watching Dawnlords go out for cigarettes and never come back, Farrah's continued activity also seems to be helping make the environment better.

If you're looking for Good-related lore, then the Mythos is basically your bible; particularly the parts that focus on the War of Humanity and the genesis of the races, as that really contains most of the philosophical foundations of Achaean Good.

As far as tips: Talk to people. Ask questions, even if you think they might sound dumb - the people who play Achaea are generally super cool and super helpful.

Optional tip: Mark yourself as open to spontaneous RP via RPWHO, because I'm tired of being the only person on RPWHO.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • There are currently no people on the list of those looking for spontaneous RP.

Aodfionn.
    Plus another 30 whose presence you cannot fully sense (114 total).

Aodfionn even avoids RPWHO
  • I just stick with "Hello" and "Goodbye" and nobody's ever given me shit about it.

Ever since the ancient days of the Runewardens guild and Cyrene, I have hated all factional greetings indiscriminately. "Good Jera, sir!"
  • Aodfionn said:
    I don't play in Targ anymore, but I did for several RL years.

For your faction, the go-to greeting is (was?) "Hail the Dawn." Your goodbye is "May the Light and Fire lead," to which others may (or may not?) respond with "and we shall never fail to follow." "Light and Fire guide" is another popular one, as @Frederich noted.

Your city is currently rolling around Sapience like a bunch of drunk hillbillies bent on doing nothing but off-roading and detonating tanks in other cities. Targ is in a period of relative strength, having benefitted from active patrons and a change in leadership. After many years of watching Dawnlords go out for cigarettes and never come back, Farrah's continued activity also seems to be helping make the environment better.

If you're looking for Good-related lore, then the Mythos is basically your bible; particularly the parts that focus on the War of Humanity and the genesis of the races, as that really contains most of the philosophical foundations of Achaean Good.

As far as tips: Talk to people. Ask questions, even if you think they might sound dumb - the people who play Achaea are generally super cool and super helpful.

Optional tip: Mark yourself as open to spontaneous RP via RPWHO, because I'm tired of being the only person on RPWHO.

You got a purdy mouth.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Squeal like a slave for me, boy.
  • Frederich said:
    The usual, proper, way to greet someone over CT if you don't know them is by the prefix.  So, for say.. Frederich.  It would be, "Hail, Ensign."  For Xaden, it would be, "Hail, Guardian."
    I don't say "hail" on CT in Eleusis. Artemis takes it as a request if she sees it. =)

(I don't generally say hello on Eleusis CT at all, just on OT.)

As far as tips go, I would echo Minifie on the "speaking with everybody you can" part. Some people will be AFKing, but others might be paying attention and you could get some stellar RP opportunities out of it.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Jurixe said:
    try to remember that it is a game
    Of everything that @Jurixe said (which is all quite correct), I think this phrase is the most important. Achaea is a game. We play it for fun. If it stops being fun, you log off. Go read a book, play another game, go outside, whatever. If you die, embrace death, get up, get a drink, walk around, loosen up. If something just isn't going right, don't beat your head against a wall and get frustrated at it, I guarantee it won't help. Don't get tied up in what I will term "hiding in a corner and chewing on your own liver" either, it just isn't healthy.

If it eventually isn't feeling fun when you log in and you just feel like it's work (and this does happen to everybody, sooner or later), then also consider changing things up, maybe making a complete faction shift for some new experiences, or simply don't log in until it feels fun again.
    One great way to do that is by utilising the emote etc tools I mentioned above. Use them to create mannerisms and 'build' some different aspects into your character that remind you that you aren't them. Jurixe, for example, talks far more convolutedly than I would in real life, and that is by design. (although I won't pretend some of it hasn't bled over a bit) And before you react to something, try and consider: is this consistent with how my character would act?
    I also agree with this. I have a couple of custom emotes I use, and I find that they help quite a bit. They're generally minor, but mostly play around either me in dragonform (e.g. I change my "soft smile" to be "soft smile that reveals many very sharp teeth" and apparently I terrified a novice with it last week to the point because they thought I'd eat them), or fiddling with stuff in Druid (e.g. idly spinning or holding my staff in various ways while it reacts to my touch, which it does with various reactions and such).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Very well. Thank you all for the input. I'll give a general response.

First, yeah, I’ll be sure to interact often when I see the opportunity, since one thing is theory and the other is practice, so I’ll work on that sense as soon as I can. Indeed I agree that is the key to the whole, say, “feeling” of the game as personal RP. I may have been a little bit misguided in that sense now that I look closely, but I asked some certain things because I thought my character should’ve known some of them beforehand considering, well, that he starts as a young man and that he seemed to have lived there for a while (I got that conclusion since that class starts in that city by default concept).

Thanks for the basic info I was after, that was enough. Now for early RP and the tips… I’ll start with something small and let my character develop along with the things I discover, since I won’t go with something ambitious this early in the game. I decided this based on what I said about my experience, which is almost non-existant. This will essentially make me see this whole matter as a “getting used to it” approach. For now, I’ll wrap up my character in customization, polish his description in the future (since the one he currently has is very simple) and I’ll give him an objective to follow, to act as a guiding sort-of-thing as adventurer.

I’m gonna finish the readings I’m doing (I’ve been enjoying them so far) and I’ll have my character discover the news/events mentioned here. I’ll check the other discussions and those exṕressive commands right away: that’s exactly what I wanted to know about for communication when I first got into the game. I’m very happy to have received that recommendation.

Lastly, I’ll make sure to treat the character as what he is: a character. So, no worries on that topic of getting too worked up about what might happen in-game. In fact, I find that to be the most interesting thing about all this: all the types of situations he might face. I believe the best development can come out of that, so Im looking forward to it. I’ll keep the expand the experience advice in mind, too.

From now on, I’ll address any new doubt about all present here in-game properly. Thank you everyone again, I really appreciate it. I’m satisfied right now, but if there are gonna be more comments after this one, they are just as welcome.
  • @Arthedric

Just because you start out as a class does not mean that you have been it your entire life, nor does it mean that you've always been a member of that city.  You could be some guy from one of the random villages around Sapience who played around with a sword, but whenever shit-hit the fan during the Blackwave (which is perfectly timed up for a new person) you had to take arms to help defend your village folk.

After that (since Paladin is a knightly class), it's pretty good!  You could feel a distinct... calling for something more that drives you to Targossas.  You don't have to know how to do that stuff whenever you start playing.  Hell, playing a super-novitiate in the class who needs to be taught the class and how to do it.. yeah.
  • @Frederich Mhm, you're right. That was just a simple first impression while I was learning the mechanics in the tutorial. Now that that thought is out of the way, looks like I have a world of ideas for a little backstory.
  • Arthedric said:
    @Frederich Mhm, you're right. That was just a simple first impression while I was learning the mechanics in the tutorial. Now that that thought is out of the way, looks like I have a world of ideas for a little backstory.

I love a good backstory! Also, it's the best way to give your character a pillar to build personality around. Looking forward to crossing paths. :)
  • edited February 2017
    General Targ RP constitutes of:

Chaos destroys Creation
    Evil hurts Creation
    Darkness manipulates Creation

Purge it all

Light and Fire guide

Add the phrase of "Burn it" now and then to your lingo

You'll be fine :)