IRE M.U.D.S

Comments

• Ah yes. I will admit aetolia does provide more customizable "options" for its players, but i do still feel achaea's system is smoother overall.
  • I play Achaea, Imperian and Lusternia regularly these days (sometimes all three logged in at once). I just hit demigod on Lusternia and lemme tell you... our 99-100 ain't got shit on titan to Demi. Slow methodical torture. 

That said, Imperian has a super small pop (~35 at my login times), but it leads to some fun fights that are smaller. Lusternia is the most different of all the games and I like that about it. 

• Asmodron said:
    Daeir said:
    Aetolia's just.. mechanically better in a lot of ways. Achaea's catching up pretty fast, though, but Aetolia as a whole seems far more robust as an actual game compared to Achaea outside of the combat system.

Do you perhaps recall the issue of endless sentinel traps over there being utilized to make catapulting/bleeding someone from one side of the continent to the other? Something like that would be squashed out or non-existent in Achaea pretty damn quickly, but over there...it got enabled and disabled several times. why..

That was a problem in Achaea for years, so...

• I tried three of them. Never tried MKO. It wasn't the fact that I didn't like this or that but more of I am too used to Achaea's Mechanics. Everything feels too weird! Like one thing I remember...one MUD didn't have landmarks and either the same or another didn't automatically pick up corpses. What? I have to pick it up and bury it to get any benefit? No thanks! Trying to learn and keep one game memorized is difficult enough. They are all text and have various ways of doing the same thing. It is difficult for me to remember it all.

• Cooper said:
    Asmodron said:
    Daeir said:
    Aetolia's just.. mechanically better in a lot of ways. Achaea's catching up pretty fast, though, but Aetolia as a whole seems far more robust as an actual game compared to Achaea outside of the combat system.

Do you perhaps recall the issue of endless sentinel traps over there being utilized to make catapulting/bleeding someone from one side of the continent to the other? Something like that would be squashed out or non-existent in Achaea pretty damn quickly, but over there...it got enabled and disabled several times. why..

Or occultists being able to force you to toggle hypersight on/off to keep you off EQ forever. Or blademasters being able to perma-prone someone from Arash stance. Or old sentinel trip. Or game-wide dopplegangers that could chaosray. Or dragon monks. Bard triplejab? I mean, there's no IRE game that doesn't have a history of some really wtf combat balance stuff kicking around.
  • @Siena That's probably Lusternia! You need an enchantment (acquisitio) to automatically pick up corpses (at that point, just script it in...), and landmarks weren't a thing because 2/3 of the game world was all on different planes, anyway (landmarks are a thing now, but still mostly under-used).
     <3 
  • Dunn said:
    I play Achaea, Imperian and Lusternia regularly these days (sometimes all three logged in at once). I just hit demigod on Lusternia and lemme tell you... our 99-100 ain't got shit on titan to Demi. Slow methodical torture. 

That said, Imperian has a super small pop (~35 at my login times), but it leads to some fun fights that are smaller. Lusternia is the most different of all the games and I like that about it. 

How do you find the time...

Also im surprised you found titan to Demi a chore. Lusternia has so many avenues for xp bonuses, as well as hunting/influencing bonuses, that it becomes quite a quick experience. I recall someone attempting to time how long it would take them to go from start level to demi in lusternia...and the time was staggeringly low. Being able to just stand at guard stacks and influence for easy xp, in a full safe environment, is definitely a boon to have.

A lot (at least used to when the playerbase was bigger) would simply get to Demi by aetherhunting, with them sitting at a turret and gaining experience pretty effortlessly.
  • I think the discrepancy may lie in the fact that Achaea's endgame is essentially level 99, dragon, while Lusternia's level 99, titan, is just a speedbump into the endgame level 100, demigod. The experience values required per level across all of IRE is the same; the different games, however, have varying thresholds of where the 'end' is.
     <3 
  • Dunn said:
    I play Achaea, Imperian and Lusternia regularly these days (sometimes all three logged in at once). I just hit demigod on Lusternia and lemme tell you... our 99-100 ain't got shit on titan to Demi. Slow methodical torture. 

lol what are you doing? hop on an aethership for 2 hours.. bam, lv 100.
  • edited February 2017
    Aegoth said:
    Dunn said:

lol what are you doing? hop on an aethership for 2 hours.. bam, lv 100.

I get the impression he perhaps did not know that lusternians dont go by the "bash to 100" concept, but rather "stand and gain xp to 100" concept.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Lmao, I just learned that aetherships have an attack called the "Jinsun Jolt".
  • edited February 2017
    Asmodron said:
    Dunn said:

How do you find the time...

Also im surprised you found titan to Demi a chore. Lusternia has so many avenues for xp bonuses, as well as hunting/influencing bonuses, that it becomes quite a quick experience. I recall someone attempting to time how long it would take them to go from start level to demi in lusternia...and the time was staggeringly low. Being able to just stand at guard stacks and influence for easy xp, in a full safe environment, is definitely a boon to have.

A lot (at least used to when the playerbase was bigger) would simply get to Demi by aetherhunting, with them sitting at a turret and gaining experience pretty effortlessly.
    I had tonics, harmony, cookie, ikon constantly and it was -awful-. I influenced the entire way in Kephera hives on a loop tho. 

• Goldentonic (100%), legendary ikon (200%), harmony (10%), cookie (+100%). Influence dwarves in the Chancel of Clangoran Mysteries and krokani in Lirangsha. Level 5 -> 100 in 2 weeks, not even kidding.
     <3 
  • don't forget the kissable lips
  • edited February 2017
    Oh, I had kissable and wax lips too sry. Whatever I made it and now I'm max level on two IREs and 95 on a third fml.

I focused primarily on Kephera because I could literally loop the same route over and over and over and over without worrying about respawn.

• I've level 100 on Lusternia, Imperian, and Achaea, and Lusternia is by far far far the easiest. Kephera are easy loopable; by the time you finish all the hives, the first would already have respawned. 10/10 a viable tactic.

Influencing chancel/lirangsha is better, though. It is only beaten by artied-out Astral bashing.
     <3 
  • edited February 2017
    Well, I disagree! We're all varying degrees of PVE inclined, of course. 

• Kissable lips = 30 credits for 100% XP boost. 

AKA Jhui ;)

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Kissable lips - double XP for 24hrs
    Wax lips - 25% XP boost for 1hr
  • I didn't want an explanation 
  • Jhui said:
    Dunn said:
    Oh, I had kissable and wax lips too sry.
    Wtf
    Welcome to lusternia.

You've only just scratched the surface of wierd :) 
  • Stuff like that's why I always hated Lusternia. It's like some sort of weird, furry, free love tyranny.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Cooper said:
    Asmodron said:
    Daeir said:

I was waiting for page 2 to load to see if this was addressed.  

Yeah, I used to do it from time to time to people who were complete dicks.   Moghedu to Shallam guards in 5...1..dead.  Traps at Approaching Shallam for raiding groups that tossed into guards, etc.   While it was possible for a very long time, I only did it a few times.  Others, notsomuch.

• Ismay said:
    Stuff like that's why I always hated Lusternia. It's like some sort of weird, furry, free love tyranny.
    Bolded is why Lusternians love Lusternia, so there is that. 
  • Lusternia

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Aetolia

I have played IRE MUDs for a bit over 10 years, starting with Aetolia. The one I played the least is actually Achaea and I am pretty new here but am finally starting to enjoy it.

My opinion on each IRE MUD from my experience excluding MKO..

Achaea - Can't say too much yet since I have only played less than a week now after numerous attempts to get into the game over the years, this time around I have joined Hashan and the Merchant House and the players are all very helpful and nice. The similarities in major landmarks and geography with Aetolia has made things a bit easier on me as well so I don't need to spend hours trying to figure out the lay of the land. I really love the flavor of the classes and the mechanics of houses.

Lusternia - I have played 2 characters on Lusternia, the first one just to test it out and a few years later a second to get into it. Unfortunately I find that Lusternia is a massive game with so much potential but not enough of a player base to capitalize on a lot of things, but that is my opinion as a total noob in that game. It can be frustrating to log on and only see a two or three people from your city around and it is often that no one will respond if you need any direction. But the lore, multiple planes, and focus on elemental flavor there is amazing. And I love the concept of Aetherships.

Imperian - I invested a good chunk of time in Imperian while taking a break from Aetolia due to stagnancy over there. It was a simpler IRE game for me and there were a lot of helpful players at the time. The idea that the Gods were all dead and you had a different thing called 'entities' was neat but after just getting used to the game my laptop died and I couldn't play anything for about a year. When I came back, all the players I knew stopped playing and the game seemed to also have the problem of a low playerbase.

Aetolia - I have played this game on the same character (plus a few alts) for about ten years and I found that when I first started playing MUDs it was the easiest to get into. A lot of people join that game for the werewolves and Vampires. And while the Vampires can be neat, they are not really what they used to be. Werewolves are a whole different thing from years back with the emerging of Shapeshifting, allowing any player to take on any of four Shapeshifter classes. I think that destroyed the whole werewolf thing but some players still use it for roleplay and have well organized packs. I think the main appeal to Aetolia is the Roleplay, definitely, but there is a large community of active PKers and while the player base is no where near as large as Achaea, it all still works. Some guilds in each city are more popular or less popular and the current administration is working hard to fix the imbalance that has been going on for years now. A lot of your experience in Aetolia will be very much based on what guild and city you choose. Some guilds are still long due for an overhaul while others have more recently become extremely active with very active leadership and novice aides. Since the refocusing from living vs undead to spirit vs shadow, the game has become a bit more balanced and is becoming more and more balanced for each city since the admins are restricting guilds to one city each. When playing, I'd personally recommend joining on shadow tether Bloodloch/Teradrim guild since its membership has been quite active recently. Their lore is pretty awesome and they are an undead-only guild (vampires count as undead). And with multiclassing, if you stick to the game you can choose whatever shadow or neutral tethered class you want later on, each player gets one free extra class slot and Shapeshifter class does not count in that so you can essentially have three classes without paying a fee. Not sure about vampirism though. Spinesreach/Syssin also have a HUGE playerbase (relatively) and are really active and have great lore and utility skills. Enorian/Templars are my personal choice for the spirit tether but I don't play spirit tether much. And I can't say anything about Duiran since I haven't played a character there in over five years.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!!!
  • I think what I loved most about MKO was that it really felt like a different game with different mechanics, and not a reflavored version of what you were already used to.

Combat there completely different, the way you hunt was different, the way you even got around the land was different (you couldnt just walk from the west coast to the east coast, you actually needed a mount or you'd plop over from exhaustion). I loved how races there really meant something to your character's RP. It wasnt just "pick a random race for fun and go out in the world". No, picking your race had implication of where you could join and how you'd be treated.

I think most of all of what I loved about MKO was the feel of the land. From how traveling work, it really did feel like you were in a 'far off remote' place if you traveled far to get there. With little villages and towns here and there, it was very fun for exploration purposes.

(also I adored the Shadoweaving skillset. Was beautiful. Please resurrect it T.T).
  • @Asmodron My biggest MKO regret was not multi-classing shadowpriest. My char, Yamani, was a thief in Banath's order, but I put off multi-classing because priests got extra requirements to advance and who wants that? At the end of the world, everyone got all skills, but I retired pretty fast when it became clear everyone was just running round the world talking OOC, so I never tried it out.
    Melaina Naftis - Spectral Arbiter of the Krymenian Academy
  • Melaina said:
    Asmodron My biggest MKO regret was not multi-classing shadowpriest. My char, Yamani, was a thief in Banath's order, but I put off multi-classing because priests got extra requirements to advance and who wants that? At the end of the world, everyone got all skills, but I retired pretty fast when it became clear everyone was just running round the world talking OOC, so I never tried it out.

I can say, hands down, that shadowpriest in MKO was one of my most favorite classes I have played in all my years of IRE.

Priest in MKO in general was an amazing concept. It's abilities being literally based on the God you choose to follow, made it really feel like a Priest experience.

I shall definitely miss it.