Class Tier List

Comments

• I don't know if I'd actually put any classes as S based on the rating descriptions tbh. It depends if "consistently wins every matchup" means if sufficiently skilled/artied or anyone (is the class ez or just really good when mastered?). A nub shaman/monk isn't going to get anywhere, but a good one I'd say can win every matchup. Though, there's also the word "consistently" because how can two classes both consistently win every matchup.

Also like A+ says "most people can pick it up and do decently well," but I've kinda ignored that because a lot of the best classes cannot easily be picked up by most people imo. The best classes for nubs are different from the best classes for top tier. I'd have to make two completely different lists because some classes will get you really far (but not top) without you having a clue, but then even if you do have a clue there are some people you just can't beat, period (DW and Alchemist are the most notable). Whereas monk, I agree with Jinsun a nub isn't going to pick it up and do really well like a DW nub can, but monk is much more solid than DW at the "highly skilled" level, across all matchups.
  • edited February 2017
    Jester absolutely fits into the S-tier if the definition is that it can consistently win every matchup. Puppetry prep is slow, but unstoppable. Tarot alone is strong enough to hold every momentum class at bay, while somersault + peels/rubble and an inconveniently timed bomb or two makes it far easier to survive almost any prep setup as Jester than most other classes. The executions themselves are among the most difficult to survive, too, if done well. The class is, however, very difficult to play
  • edited February 2017
    Non-com 1v1 tier list! A view from the ground floor, assuming these classes are all artied and played well:

S
    Druid - They can go a number of different routes fairly quickly (and can preserve a spot cause prep), and they can transition between them. Low number of combatants = harder to know/practice, so they're probably sleeper strong too
    Sentinel - Similar to druid, and coming from Lusty, traps are a miserable experience to play against. I've seen how fast they can get to a kill, and they also have some prep
    Monk - Unartied/low artie monks already hurt, crazy amount of versatility for both defense/offence. Feels like they can basically do anything.
    Shaman - Massive aff selection, and can be fine-tuned speed wise because of swiftcurse. Dolls for prep that gets built up during normal momentum strat - unstoppable supposedly? Even if not, so many options there.
    Jester - Feels like they have a 'No' button for everything. Puppets are supposedly unstoppable?

I'm mostly not sure about puppet/dolls because I haven't looked into them enough, but I feel importantly, all these classes have a wide number of options to kill you that aren't difficult to switch between. They all prep in some manner in case you can get away from the momentum side, so if they ever get ahead, seems like you're just boned (because if you're momentum you're behind and won't recover/they get to try and kill first, if you're prep they're further along in their prep, if you run they're prep so they can resume part of the way)

A+
    RW DWC - as a trash RW I can still kill some people, so I'm sure good ones are monsters. Difference between L3 vs. forged is also massive and changes things - forged pith doesn't drain any mana very much even on a standing target, and you'll work hard to get to maintain 3 affs, L3s has no problem with either thing.
    RW/Pally SnB - SnB is so versatile, and just needs to live a bit longer to go off. Both these versions have better abilities to survive than Infernal, Paladin gets extra kill route
    Infernal DWC - have an alternate route in case they count torso well
    Magi - multiple routes, has prep, can do good damage, a number of cool vibe tricks
    Bard - prep, aff momentum, high damage, breaks fast, many things to combo together. I think timings can just be a bit awkward or this would be in S.
    DW - They feel like easier, slightly less versatile, and slightly less scary monks. But they're still scary and can do just about anything :(
    Blademaster - there's probably a way to fight them properly. I just don't know what it is, yet.

A
    Pally DWC - Still great because DWC, but I'm not sure how it gets around torso counting without runes to try and push damage with a pansy DSB.
    Infernal SnB - Still great because SnB, but just not quite as many survival tools as RW/Pally
    Serpent - If you can manage to get away and have prep, I think you'll eventually win against it, but have different routes that go off fast and can dodge a lot of things.
    Alchemist - Same as serpent, but has slightly less tricks/slightly more difficulty getting away while being really harsh in room.

B+
    RW 2H - the longer the fight goes, the more likely you'll randomly get cheesed! Really, really fast breaks when artied, fractures + damage get out of control.

B
    Any DWB - I suspect at full artie levels, the different specs have roughly equivalent advantages due to heavier momentum needs, and not as much weighting on defensive tools.
    Other 2H - Similar to DWB, but hugalaz synergizes better with it.

B-
    Dragon - only because it doesn't really scale up as much with full arties, and kill routes are a bit more obvious. Really enjoy fighting in it.

Unsure
    Apostate
    Occultist
    - I'd guess both of these are in the B+/A area. I'm in love with both classes, but without a prep route on them, I'm not sure how they fare. Artied looks like it'd make a big difference for Occie.
    Sylvan
    - Just don't know a ton about these other than heartseed route has to be cured in a specific way, and watch out for shockwave + stormhammers.

• Amranu's tier list.

S
    Shaman

D
    Every class that isn't S-tier
  • edited February 2017
    I thought shaman was D and everything else is S.
  • edited February 2017
    Vallie said:
    Unsure
    Apostate
    Occultist
    - but without a prep route on them, I'm not sure how they fare. Depends entirely upon how good you are at chasing. See: Seragorn/Medi. Though like I said, Occ still has some tricks that don't get used.
    Sylvan
    - Just don't know a ton about these other than heartseed route has to be cured in a specific way, and watch out for shockwave + stormhammers. If you're going zerg and not running, probably the worst class to stay in the room against. Running kinda stops them in their tracks, because of clouds. Arcane power is a nuisance; it's useless if target leaves the room. At the same time, fighting against an artied Sylvan it feels like it maxes out considerably faster than anything else, making their kill windows come rapidly fast.

• edited February 2017
    I propose starting a class tear list, based on forum complaints from members of that class.

I'll get us started...    

S+++++:  Serpents.

• Farrah said:
    I thought shaman was D and everything else is S.
    Shaman uses paraconsistent logic, allowing it to be both S and D at the same time.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    This thread is getting dangerously close to crude humour.
    Huh. Neat.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I have an old video which summarizes my feelings on the point

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Kythra said:
         +Though feel free to add a tier list for group combat if you want! 
    As someone who does combat almost exclusively in groups, I'd love to see someone's group combat tier list (or even spin it off into it's own thread)
  • edited February 2017
    I think SnB runewarden is a B, halfway in between a prep/momentum class.

The lack of kill options beyond DSB vs smart opponents who know how to defend against focus locks makes the class pretty boring/predictable.

Add one of the longest prep times vs the extremes of either end (occie/monk) then well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Liyane said:
    Kythra said:
    As someone who does combat almost exclusively in groups, I'd love to see someone's group combat tier list (or even spin it off into it's own thread)
    2v2: blademaster + anything. Literally every class synergises extremely well with it.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Liyane said:
    Kythra said:
    If I got to hand pick classes for a group I was leading it'd be 90% DwC runies. Delphinium epseth and epteth dsls that keep your target perma-fucked while doing good damage and draining mana and causing bleed. Whomever else tags along can do whatever they want I don't care.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • I think SnB runewarden is a B, halfway in between a prep/momentum class.

The lack of kill options beyond DSB vs smart opponents who know how to defend against focus locks makes the class pretty boring/predictable.

Add one of the longest prep times vs the extremes of either end (occie/monk) then well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But it's  100% guaranteed when its setup.. and with there ability to bypass para make it the ->strongest <- momentum class. 
  • edited February 2017
    If you think SnB runie is B grade, you're trash tier
  • edited February 2017
    Don't get me wrong, SnB runie is probably an S or A+ against certain classes/player tiers but against occies/monks/top tiers that really know how to fight, there are better/more interesting classes

@Proficy : pretty sure the tumble window is the same with Intimidate (- shieldstrike high stun), given the torso precondition.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Any class with hunger attacks > classes without hunger attacks.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Just throwing out there that SnB isn't 100%. It's -either- 100% dsb or 100% torso damage. If you break torso after leg, on point tumbles will still get away and if you do torso then leg, on point torso applies will stop you. That said, you've still got blackout to get around that as well as four different parry bypasses that can all be worked toward simultaneously as well as a 50/50 shot to get your lock every three balances without sacrificing pretty much optimal hindering affs. And yeah, dedication exists. RIP.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Runie SnB is A+ or S all around.

The "simple" insta setup isn't unstoppable (or always an insta, depending on resist alls), but runie has plenty of tools to make it deadly. Granted, whether the long prep is worth being SnB is debatable as runie. I'd rate DWC S or A+ tier too.

It can definitely beat both good occie's and monks, too. I'm actually curious which classes you think  are both better vs occie and monk but also still as good against everyone else as runie SnB.
  • Mishgul said:
    Any class with hunger attacks > classes without hunger attacks.
    That's what Shaman's missing. Since hunger attacks are clearly greater than anything else, clearly Shaman deserves to get besot back, since Apostate has hunger.
  • edited February 2017
    Farrah said:
    Runie SnB is A+ or S all around.

The "simple" insta setup isn't unstoppable (or always an insta, depending on resist alls), but runie has plenty of tools to make it deadly. Granted, whether the long prep is worth being SnB is debatable as runie. I'd rate DWC S or A+ tier too.

It can definitely beat both good occie's and monks, too. I'm actually curious which classes you think  are both better vs occie and monk but also still as good against everyone else as runie SnB.
    I'm familiar with all of SnB runie's tools, it's just such a boring bag of tools. The extra long prep is what gets to me vs high hp players (vs DWC) but Dedication makes up for it vs certain classes, hence the "certain classes".

Bard/Blademaster for occie/monk.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• Boring shouldn't come into the discussion for a tier list, though. Jester historically has always been both the strongest class while being the most boring class. Long prep doesn't necessarily make a class bad either if the class has the tools to stall long enough and the execution is powerful enough. Knight, Monk and Jester have always been on the top running for best 1v1 class because of their combination of powerful execution with the ability to survive momentum. Fuck knows if that's still the case, it's never been more true that I'm speaking entirely hypothetically/logic-based while not really knowing how the classes work (anymore).
  • Daeir said:

C - Monk (every other spec)

Monk sucks, plainly put.

Umm.... what.

• Naw dude, try fighting an auto-following occie indoors without room hinder and see what happens.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• Don't run from occie indoors. Hinder instead. Snb is fantastic at it.

Here's my attempt at this, but I'm not necessarily set on where I placed a lot of classes due to lack of seeing them at top potency:

1v1

S

monk
    runie dwc
    runie snb
    pally snb
    shaman
    infernal dwb

A+

bard (would be S if had better prone defense)
    infernal dwc (probably S with, say, lvl 3 gauntlets)
    serpent
    blademaster (might be S, but never seen someone dominate all classes as it yet)
    sylvan
    sentinel
    magi (basically only weakness is opponents tumbling into nairat/etc)

A

priest
    occultist
    druid (don't really know, nobody plays it well)
    jester (don't actually know where I rate jester these days because no one plays it well, probably because it's super boring)

B

apostate
    depthswalker
    2-hander (any class)
    alchemist

C

pally/runie dwb
    pally dwc (probably higher, but snb is so much better for pally)
    infernal snb (probably higher if gauntlets, but dwc is so much better for infernal)

Group (though honestly, which is best in group depends in part on what else is in the group and what the situation is)

S

depthswalker
    magi
    monk
    occultist
    apostate
    sylvan
    sentinel
    druid
    runewarden

A+

priest

A

bard
    infernal
    paladin

B

jester
    shaman
    blademaster

C

serpent
    alchemist

• i dunno why monk is at the top of everyone's list.  I'd prefer most knight classes/specs, bard, sentinel, sylvan, shaman and bm over it in 1v1 (hint all of these classes have prep and affs), especially if i put the time into those classes that I've put into monk.  Plus monk is super reliant on blissful/stupidity not proccing on forces :(

• Is everyone making their list assuming no artifacts or a minimum baseline when it comes to artifacts? I find dwb runie particularly strong against people who aren't heavily artied. It melts anything sub 6k health that doesn't do an insane amount of hindering within a few balances. Isaz helps quite a bit with this. Past that it does get tricky with timing rebounding and your breaks. If dwb could have 2 more momentum before it hit its cap it would be insane. Its well balanced around the current amount of maximum momentum. Would trade half my damage for 2 more max momentum 10/10 times.
  • Don't get me wrong, SnB runie is probably an S or A+ against certain classes/player tiers but against occies/monks/top tiers that really know how to fight, there are better/more interesting classes

@Proficy : pretty sure the tumble window is the same with Intimidate (- shieldstrike high stun), given the torso precondition.
    Intimidate does nothing if you tumble before the second leg break... so auto tumblers like yourself get by it every time.. so no its not the same at all