Messages and Concerns

Comments

• The old problem with loyalties could have been fixed far more easily then by complete redefining what houses were. Mhaldor's houses felt distinct from the city, but no one ever thought the house came first.

And redistribution can certainly be an issue, particularly when the house then tries very hard to avoid being what the old houses were. The Virtuosi is basically what Ty Beirdd always tried to be, were it not for admin limitations, and while the house isn't perfect by any means, most of its problems stem more from the city then from any issue of identity.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Fresh start better than trying to rework and get people interested in dead houses.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Vesios said:
    The more I read about Targ's houses in this thread the more I think of how cool it'd be for the Luminai to be like a secret society type of deal, like the Illuminati of Good or maybe just literally the Knight's Templar. Work in the shadows to save the light. Very exclusive, very hard to get into, but very prestigious, the very upper echelon of Targossas society, the ones who run the show.
    But the Assassins are the ones who do that, not the Templars. </pedantichumour>
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Jonathin said:
    Fresh start better than trying to rework and get people interested in dead houses.
    One of the few Houses that successfully reworked themselves during the transition was the Merchants who were originally the Hashani Sorcerer's Guild. I always give mad props to them for that. 

I don't think any other House has managed to dynamically transform themselves like that. I feel like any other organisation could've taken something, even like Seafaring and work the entire House around it if they'd been willing to step outside their comfort zone. But they did not. 

• Mishgul said:
    it would be nice if the legates vs insidium was more like the maldaathi vs naga but there is a lot of resistance to that idea.
    To be honest.. i'm not even sure there is much of a significant difference. They both do the same things, only one does it "sneakily" or something to that effect.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Mirek said:
    Mishgul said:
    it would be nice if the legates vs insidium was more like the maldaathi vs naga but there is a lot of resistance to that idea.
    To be honest.. i'm not even sure there is much of a significant difference. They both do the same things, only one does it "sneakily" or something to that effect.
    I mean, thats pretty much it. Exploring the differences in approach between the two mindsets.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I don't get it.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• join house <x>

You cannot join house <x>. You suffer from insufficient gravitas, mien and comportment.
  • I was kidding :(

• I understand your sentiments, too, but as you explained already, it has to do with the new factional orientation of the cities. You distinguish yourself through citizenship (which, ironically, is something many new players choose right at the beginning without learning anything about the philosophies first), and as with us in Targossas, House membership isn't even mandatory any more. The meaning and importance of Houses have significantly been reduced, and they are there now more for individual flavour than for meaningful roleplaying. Ashtan and Targ have the SAME Houses. One for fighting, one for preaching, one for support. The only difference is the end-game/goal. 
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    So since no one raids Cyrene anymore let's make the Shield the house o paperwork and all the other houses can contract out their house advancement record keeping to them and make it as pleasant for the house and complex for the the recorder as they want! Everybody wins. (Pls someone raid Cyrene again so the shield can stop dying)

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Kenway said:
    So since no one raids Cyrene anymore let's make the Shield the house o paperwork and all the other houses can contract out their house advancement record keeping to them and make it as pleasant for the house and complex for the the recorder as they want! Everybody wins. (Pls someone raid Cyrene again so the shield can stop dying)
    Don't think we're supposed to :(

Plus you guys are the only city I'm not enemied to :(

Xaden said:
    Kenway said:
    Don't think we're supposed to :(

Plus you guys are the only city I'm not enemied to :(
    I'm Hashani now. see: aforementioned lack of raids and slow painful death of young and initially flourishing combatant community

• Yes! You are! I forgot that!

Also @Dochitha is back. The shield lives again?

• We actively raid Hashan/Ashtan/Mhaldor and we'd also raid Eleusis if they ever had numbers that made that feasible.

I need to be unenemied to Cyrene so that I have someplace to buy inks and plants.
  • We don't raid Eleusis I'm 98% sure
    Xaden said:
    Yes! You are! I forgot that!

Also @Dochitha is back. The shield lives again?
    If there's any hope, I'd place it in @Hosko @Dochitha and @Keorin. People like them were the entire point of the house, if anyone gets it, they do.

• Until they all bail/get kicked from Cyrene and join up with Hashan.
  • Cailan said:
    We don't raid Eleusis I'm 98% sure
    We have a few times in the past RL year.

But not often my any stretch of the imagination.

Recently defiled a shrine or two in response to Rangor raiding - but didn't have the numbers (30) for an actual follow up raid 

• I thought we didn't because of Divine decree
  • Cailan said:
    I thought we didn't because of Divine decree
    We've been told in the past to ignore them, apparently. Even if we hadn't, Eleusis always has ridiculous numbers, so raiding them generally isn't feasible anyway.
  • Antonius said:
    Cailan said:
    I thought we didn't because of Divine decree
    We've been told in the past to ignore them, apparently. Even if we hadn't, Eleusis always has ridiculous numbers, so raiding them generally isn't feasible anyway.
    Might of the many! (just do like @Jhui and move 2 rooms away and set kai deliverance. We all fall for it every time. Sometimes I think we just do it to make him feel special)
  • random dumb idea alert, feel free to skip this if you want

I know the topic's changed a bit, but regarding the Shield situation: I think it'd be neat if Cyrene fully embraced the idea of being a neutral place of higher learning, like the super-university of Achaea or something. 

Cyrene's always been interested in learning and the arts, and combat could easily be considered an art form, so what if the Shield provided a way for third party militaries to practice things that don't really get much practice outside of live combat scenarios? Group stuff like compositions, synergies between classes, mock combat. Could be a good way for cities to get more people involved in raid defense as well since there'd be less pressure, especially if you could get entire raid groups into Cyrene's arena (I'm not sure if you can, actually). 

An added bonus would be if the Shield stored all this information away in like a massive combat library or something. Class synergies, group curing priorities, etc. Want to test out a new multi-class wombo combo but nobody's raiding? Give the Shield a call. Can't figure out how to deal annoying afflictions in a group setting? Ask the Shield. 

Would hopefully breathe some life back into the house, give them uniqueness on top of what they already have (this wouldn't necessarily conflict with their "protect Cyrene" identity) and establish them as a major center for learning combat, all in one fell swoop.

I don't think it would even affect the big "don't bring conflict to Cyrene" ruling, because what raid group would want to destroy testing grounds they use and piss off the guys with the keys to a ton of knowledge?
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Honestly, the idea of opening things to people from other cities fits the Virtuosi and the Outriders far more than the Shield. I would definitely love it for those, just not so much for the Shield. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    @Shirszae Ive asked around and its pretty much guaranteed not to happen any time in the near future :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    @Shirszae Ive asked around and its pretty much guaranteed not to happen any time in the near future :(
    This will never stop making me sad
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    High Clan it?