What have you designed today?

Comments

• Krypton said:
    Cataleya said:
    Possessed by an ethereal luminescence beneath the night sky, the 
    crystal lotus reflects the silvery light of the stars.
    Should be "possessed of."
    Disagree. Both could be appropriate here, depending on where the luminescence originated.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    No.

Only the phrase "possessed of" correctly means "possessing"/"having" (an ethereal luminescence).

"Possessed by" means "controlled by"/"overwhelmingly driven by," neither of which can describe what "ethereal luminescence" can do.
  • Krypton said:
    No.

Only the phrase "possessed of" correctly means "possessing"/"having" (an ethereal luminescence).

"Possessed by" means "controlled by"/"overwhelmingly driven by," neither of which can describe what "ethereal luminescence" can do.
    Bitch you don't know the life of that luminescence.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    The luminescence is actually the visual manifestation of a thousand hellish demons sent by Sartan who are continuously attempting to corrupt her grove and assaulting the surrounding plantlife with an eerie, toxic glow.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Atalkez said:
    Completed customization on my scythe and dagger! Shoutout to @Kresslack for the designs!

Dagger:

Appearance: a dagger of red stalactite

Dropped: Cast aside in a hurry, a dagger of red glass lies here, gleaming softly.

Examined: Opaque red stalactite has been moulded through a precise and lengthy reduction
    process to craft a remarkable blade of four keen edges that taper to a single point. Carefully
    polished to a light gleam, the surfaces of each blade bear meticulous runic carvings. Skilfully
    drawn out and forged from bronze, the crossguard rises around the base of the blade resembling a set
    of talons poised to close around the blade. Smoothly sanded and lacquered ebonwood has been fitted
    around the blade tang securely, while the pommel has been masterfully hammered into the resemblance
    of a phoenix's head, a trail of feathered bronze fittings wrapping around the handle like flames.
    Firmly clutched within the beak is a small, teardrop-shaped glass sphere, swirling languidly with
    shifting grains of red sand. Stamped into the crossguard is a minuscule wolf paw print.

Scythe:

Appearance: a scythe of shifting red sand

Dropped: Reverberating with warm energy, a red glass scythe lies abandoned here.

Examined: Rays of light are refracted from the surface of the scythe head, formed of
    translucent, hardened glass which has been skillfully moulded into the resemblance of a phoenix's
    wing, the hollowed interior of which dances with motes of fiery red sand drifting on sinuous clouds
    of yellow smoke. Each feathered tip has been drawn out and brought to a finely honed edge and point.
    Set to a lengthy haft of sanded and lacquered ebonwood, the blade has been firmly secured by finely
    hammered fixture of feathered bronze. Along the length of the haft wrap thinly hammered sheets of
    bronze formed into the semblance of flames, each one twisting around the wood tightly, offering both
    contrast and a sure grip. Capping the end of the haft, another ingot of bronze has been masterfully
    beaten and shaped into the form of a closed talon, within which is clutched a small, delicate
    looking hourglass that spins freely on a narrow, metal axis with each swing of the scythe. Stamped
    into the side of the haft cap is a minuscule wolf paw print.
    My only gripes are the use of "has been" and the fact that stalactite is a rock formation, not a material.

My gripe, glass stalactite? Or am I just misinterpreting that dropped appearance?
    Huh. Neat.
    Trey said:
    stalactite is a rock formation, not a material.
    This.

"Stalactite" is not a mineral/substance, but it is being treated as such in the description.

I.e., it says "opaque red stalactite" and "a dagger of red stalactite." I would think "an opaque, red stalactite" and "a red stalactite dagger" are more appropriate.
  • Looking at those descriptions, I keep getting images of Fulgurite. Which is what happens when lightning strikes sand and turns into glass-like.

Perhaps thats a better term than Stalactite, of course I'm probably way off.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited January 2017
    Stalactites are not rock formations, they're calciated salt and mineral deposits. Many of the cores are made of crystalized mineral deposits, much like geodes, which can through material reduction remove the rough outer edge and allow for cutting and polishing.

As he requested the theme involve fire and use red, I took inspiration from rhodochrosite stalactites, which can be very large and when the core is polished, presents various warm hues.

It would have been easy to just do 'red glass'. I wanted to give him something unique (and not out of the realm of possibility within Achaea), and I'm glad he is satisfied with the result.

• Exactly. Stalactites is a type of formation and not a material. The material in your example would be rhodochrosite.

Its like saying this princess cut. Princess cut is the form it takes not a material because you still have yo ask  a princess cut what ?
    edited January 2017
    I can see the point being made, but I think it's an overclassification. The material could have been called rhodochrosite, but I was aiming for a more easily recognizable alternative in regard to terminology.

I don't understand the princess cut reference, because you can still simply call a diamond a diamond, regardless of cut, and it wouldn't be false.

• Glad I'm not a design prude, I like them.

Thanks though :)

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Diamond is a material though so that makes sense. If i said i have a princess cut you still need to ask 'of what?'. You roughly know the shape of it but is it ruby? Sapphire? Emerald? 

Stalctite is a firmation type, the material is what its made out of and vastly alters perception of the end product.
    Haha, it's not a design issue, it's just jarring to read that one word "stalactite" trying to be used with a definition it doesn't have.

For example, replace the word "stalactite" with "icicle" (an icicle is just a stalactite made of ice).

You cannot say "a dagger of red icicle," nor can you say "Opaque red icicle has been moulded...".

Neither "stalactite" nor "icicle" are materials that you use to build other things. "Rock," or "ice," or "glass," or "rhodochrosite," are materials.
    edited January 2017
    The cut doesn't make the material, it just further distinguishes. So the cut is irrelevant in your example. A diamond is a diamond, that's the material. Anything else such as colour or cut are classifications to distinguish it from other types of the same.

It's no different with how I used stalactite. Rhodochrosite is simply the classification to distinguish it based on the colour composition, which I opted not to use as I consider it 'jargon'.

Material is matter, so it can literally be anything. In a game where someone can have a shield made out of sea spray, the sea spray is the material.

If you make a staff you can describe it as 'dark wood' without specifically calling it walnut or oak. It's still wood.

At the end of the day, the person who requested it is happy with it, and that's always my goal. So I suppose I'll agree to disagree.

Edit: The way Krypton explained it, I see the point being made and will store it for future consideration.

• edited January 2017
    The stalactite issue aside (which I agree with Krypton on, it's like saying "made from tree" instead of "made from wood"; "a stalactite" instead of just "stalactite" would have been fine), the dropped description refers to it as glass. The rest of the description doesn't directly contradict that, but it sounds like (and your posts about Rhodochrosite confirm it) the intention was something mineral/crystalline (what people typically think of from the word "stalactite").

I could see it being red volcanic glass from a lava stalactite, but it still sounds a bit off or at least unclear, even if there's nothing strictly contradictory or inaccurate.

Edit: Those two issues aside, I really like the designs.
  • edited January 2017
    Alright, putting aside the fact that stalactite as the dominate descriptor makes me think that some forze the bloopy parts of a lava lamp and said 'that'll do'

You cant have a tear drop shaped glass sphere. 
    One of my personal favourites that I've had for a while but never posted for some reason.

a carved wooden armband

A carved wooden armband lies here, discarded.

The outer surface of this broad, rectangular armband is stained with a myriad of earthy colours, marking the various environments of the map etched into the cuff's surface. An intricate compass rose of alabaster bone is embedded, motionless, in the lower corner of the band, indicating cardinal direction relative to the edges of the band. A stretch of carved peaks marks the centre of the piece, tinted scarlet by the jarrah wood incorporated into the design. Two large patches of emerald green are stained just beside the peaks, to the west as denoted by the compass rose. Between the two splotches of green is the largest of seventeen small, iron-grey stones that adorn the design. Etched lines intersect at various points on the deep red band. Streaks of indigo pigment segment the map, each making its way between the large blue stains on either end of the cuff, save one which originates from one of two blue stains entrenched in the central portion of the map. The rest of the map is decorated with various shallow archways and tufts of grass, giving detail to the surrounding landscape. The interior of the armband is a deep red colour, unmarred by carving or natural pigment.

I don't think it's my best work by any means, but given its inspiration and what it means to Ahmet personally, definitely one of my favourites.
    Huh. Neat.
    Tahquil said:
    Alright, putting aside the fact that stalactite as the dominate descriptor makes me think that some forze the bloopy parts of a lava lamp and said 'that'll do'

You cant have a tear drop shaped glass sphere. 
    According to the customisations team, one can, and does. Again, I designed them for one person in particular, and they're happy with it, and that's good enough for me.

• edited January 2017
    nah, a bit to sharp.
    Tahquil said:
    I'd suggest the design team take more care.
    That's rather presumptuous of you. Then again, it would imply the design team valued your unsolicited opinions even more than I do.

We're all on the same side here, folks. I'm sure the admin team has a lot to do, and they're much more lenient with customisations than they are with designs. On the other hand, things that aren't physically possible should be avoided at all costs (on both sides of the aisle).
    Huh. Neat.
  • Well,  I can realise when I'm being a cunt and rectify it befor the 15min cut off. At least I have that going for me.
  • Ahmet said:
    aren't physically possible
    Lol

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    edited January 2017
    One can only hope, because I'm finding this a little reminiscent of the last time you put this much effort into baiting me into an argument, and that's a moment best left in the past.

So, once again, I motion to just move past it all entirely, as none of this is very important to begin with, and doesn't warrant such attention.

Edit: As an aside, as I mentioned I do see the point people are making, and will keep it in mind for future reference.

• I already backed off 2 posts ago. Chiiiiiillllll. I just have to point out that im not trying to bait you into an arguement and this jimmy rustling affect i seem to have on you is 100% ef-fort-less. So i have that going for me as well.
    edited January 2017
    Oh well, nvm.

edited January 2017
    In hopes that you both stop posting to grind each others gears, have another design you can rip into:

Appearance (short_desc)
    a crude stone ring
    Dropped (long_desc)
    Simple and unrefined, a stone ring lies here.
    Examined (extended_desc)
    Of seemingly crude design, this ring is composed of speckled stone so frequently varied that the 
    base material it was hewn from is nigh indistinguishable. The exterior of this simple band is rough 
    and jagged, chiseled in large chunks from the original stone. The inner band, however, has been 
    smoothed and worked to a polished, glossy sheen, contrasting the rough outer band with a well-kept 
    and carefully prepared touch.
    Huh. Neat.
  • 'chiseled in large chunks' gives me the impression the ring is made up of different sections stuck together. 'Chiseled in large strikes' or something similiar would make more sense (to me) if you mean the whole ring to be formed from one piece.