Monk Combat help

Hi,

First off, I should start by saying I'm a completely beginner in combat. I know the very basics and have svof loaded, but that's pretty much it.
I was really hoping to learn combat without ever needing to post on forums... but there doesn't seem to be many monks around, especially in Mhaldor (there is like one other active monk and the population is very small). Help has been scarce, but I'm absolutely set on staying in the city of Evil because the future roleplay potential there is <3<3 Strength in suffering, indeed.

But the problem remains: where do I start? How do I go about setting up my aliases/ macros and organising all those kicks and punches a monk possesses so that it's not too complicated in the heat of a fight?

One other thing to note is that I only have up to whirlwind in tekura and clotting in kaido right now. I can't buy credits because money and life, so yes, it will take time until I can trans anything. But I want to learn what I can and understand the ways a monk can kill. Especially since I've already been conscripted into the Mhaldorian army and I don't have a single clue what to do XDD

Any help in game or here would be much much appreciated. I have been looking around the forums, but alot of the posts seem quite old, and I had trouble comprehending the bits and pieces. As a beginner, I think I need something more structured so I can figure out the ground basics of monk combat and build up from there. Am I even allowed to get combat help from another citizen in game as a Mhaldorian?!

Thank you!

Comments

• You can get combat help wherever you want. However, It's worth noting that @Cooper and @Proficy are pretty much some of the best PvP monks the game has had, and are your fellow citizens. Even though they're not monk class -now- doesn't mean you cannot pick their brains for advice. We also have a clan for such things as giving combat help/advice, and I'll get you an invite as soon as I can!
  • Also, despite what some people say, that @Jhui guy isn't half as mean as people say he is and will probably help if asked (and he's not busy).

Welcome to Achaea!
  • @Kenway@Aegoth@Puxi

Thanks all for your replies! I'll heed your advice Kenway and Puxi. I would absolutely love an invite to that clan Aegoth. I suppose, now that I think about it, I've been quite intimated by the high-ranked combatants in Mhaldor and felt hesitant to ask them beginner questions. I hadn't realised those people had been previous monks either.

• Multiclass has made it really hard to see who really knows which class, so CLASSWHO isn't as accurate as it used to be. However, Jhui/Proficy are both great resources for monk information, and I didn't know Cooper was a monk but if he was I'm sure he knows a bit.
    I know a little about monk, but I haven't actually used monk in quite awhile, so if you have any basic questions you can feel free to ask me and I'll probably know the answer.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • I'd suggest learning about limb breaks(the different levels), limb counting, how an opponent cures and how these tie into the killing paths/finishers available to you. These are the basics before moving into intricacies like forced applies, tumble cancels etc.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I suggest learning out to survive all the other classes setups first. Then worry about offense. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • I'm with @Exelethril- I always considered 'mid tier' being like, 'I know how to kill you with my class eventually, but I didn't realize I was locked until I died'. Once you know what you're doing, and you have the mechanics to do it down, you can start fighting other classes and start working your offense around theirs. Spending a month+ going into every FFA everywhere just to try to run away from people to learn to survive sounds super boring, but if you hop into the arena with a vague idea of what you're doing on offense THEN lose, you can review the fight and figure out how you lost and improve from there.
  • Driden said:
    I suggest learning out to survive all the other classes setups first. Then worry about offense. 
    This doesn't help much because it is way easier to survive most setups when you aren't trying to simultaneously push an offense. 

Get an idea of how your kill method works, practice until you can execute it reliably on somebody who is playing target dummy, then go die a lot. Pay attention to what killed you, try to think up ways to not die to that the next time.
  • edited January 2017
    <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdh6rpt8kjhowrx/Monk%20Combos%20(consolidated).xml?dl=0" title="Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdh6rpt8kjhowrx/Monk%20Combos%20(consolidated).xml?dl=0">Here's a link to a simplified version of my combo alias</a>&nbsp; It uses one letter each for kick/punch/punch, with t/f/g/h/v/b corresponding to the different body parts (they're vaguely body shaped on the keyboard). Feel free to take a look at/use/change up if you like, maybe it can give you some idea of where to start on that side of things.

I'd hardly call myself a good combatant, but I'm pretty proficient in monk basics and some of the not-basics, so feel free to ask for help if you ever need it! Keorin isn't much of a fan of Mhaldorians, but she'll usually help anyways, and if you don't mind out of character help, just mark a tell/message as out of character and I'd be happy to help with whatever.

(and I have no idea why the link is yellow, forums are hard)
  • Thanks all for your responses. I guess there are many different ways to approach combat, and I made my first step in game today by going through some of the attacks I already had. From what I gathered, limb damage and break is something I need to get under my belt first. To those of you who offered personal help, I will most likely take you up on that offer at some point! Thanks :)