PS4 Game Purchases

edited December 2016 in The Universal Membrane
Hey all!

It's been a few years since I bought a new game for my Playstation 4, and I noticed Amazon has quite a few newer games on sale at the moment.

I thus far have decided on CoD Infinite Warfare, Final Fantasy XV, and Skyrim (original).

My questions are as follows:

1.  I have played Skyrim quite a bit, but never actually finished it. Would I enjoy Elder Scrolls online more than the original? Did you?

2. Never played the Final Fantasies but Zerda was raving, so figured I'd pick up XV while it was on sale. Would you agree with this choice?

3. Any recommendations over the games I have currently selected? Don't know much about Infinite Warfare but I enjoyed MW 3, and Ghosts online multiplayer quite a bit.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome! I have a hard time getting into PS4 games, but wanted to give it another try. My standards are high.. else I'll find myself logging back into Achaea :)

Comments

• @Antidas Halp me monkey
  • I really like ESO, the overarching story is great and the zones are fairly interesting (though super linear compared to Skyrim), and I love MMOs with "small toolbars" (so you don't have a bunch of dumb super situational buttons you rarely use clogging up your UI *Cough* Old School WoW Hunter *Cough*).

That being said, the fact that end game was PvP focused was a bit of a turnoff for me.
  • IW has a fun campaign, but I'm not really a fan of the multiplayer. It plays basically the same as Ghosts or BO3, and I guess if you LIKE that style of FPS... you'd enjoy it...

Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 are also very fine choices for FPS's, and I think they both have campaigns that standout as well as IW's and have more fun multiplayer (imo).

People have said good things about FF15. Fine game. Good choice. Very photo-realistic depictions of food. 
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    GTA V, come join the Iron Crew!
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    God of War (whatever 2017)

All the rest, dunno; I loved the Borderlands games, but time is a premium. Cannot imagine how badly I'd be sucked away from reality with FF15.

• The only major complaint I've heard about FF15 is the story being somewhat unclear in parts. I'm told that can be somewhat remedied by watching the Kingsglaive movie beforehand. I saw the flash sale the other day and it almost got me too as that game is definitely on my radar. I've just purchased so many ps4 games so far that I haven't played I'm starting to feel like a collector rather than a gamer.

When you ask if you would enjoy TESO more than the original I'm not sure what you mean. TESO is not a sequel to anything it is just an elder scrolls themed mmorpg. Admittedly, I didn't spend more than 30 hours playing it but it seemed pretty standard issue mmo gameplay to me (kill 6 of these, gather 7 of those, click this, click that). I wasn't really able to get into much myself but that was probably because I was still burnt out from a six month WoW session. Skyrim on the other hand is a great one player game and I spent hundreds of hours exploring the world.
  • I preferred Skyrim over ESO by a long shot. I did like ESO, but I was never able to really get into it, although I think if I had a group of friends who played it I may have had more success. I actually just picked up Skyrim again since I never played through all the DLC, and since I got the special edition for free on PC due to already owning all DLC packages for the original on it, and so far its been great to play again. Always felt Skyrim is one of those games you can play repeatedly and still have fun with it, since there's so many ways to build your character.

I can't say much about final fantasy, as I've never been a big fan of the series. Other than that, can fully recommend Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3, Titanfall 2. All are excellent games, although I think the first two surpass the last by a fair margin.

• edited December 2016
    If you play FF XV, you should really, really watch Kingsglaive first. It takes place over the course of the first chapter of the game, and from what I've seen from some early Let's Plays, you might not get everything that's going on. Honestly, it's a good movie that stands on its own anyway, so it's not like you're going to suffer watching through it. Plus, Nyx Ulric is pretty damn hot.

Also going to recommend Bloodborne for PS4. Had the opportunity to play it on a friend's PS4 (still need one myself... -weep-) and it's incredibly good. Not sure how you feel about the Souls series, though. Favours aggression over patience more than the standard souls games, making combat a little more risky and fast-paced. Great story, too.

EDIT: Also Dark Souls 3. I just prefer PC for that, and Bloodborne is PS4-exclusive, so I don't really think of PS4 and Dark Souls together. If you don't have it (is Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin PS4 too? Also a good choice). :/
  • P.S:

Looking to change my PSN names. I -suck- at coming up with a good one.

50 credits to whoever suggests the best one to me. Would like to include Aesgar or an Achaean twist of some kind.

:)
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aesguardian.

xXSomatikanSlayer1337Xx

Tehluwhatm8.

Bob.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Lmao. Tehluwhatm8 is awesome. I might have to use that...

If I do, 50 credits your way Ahmet. Gotta wait for some more suggestions
  • edited January 2017
    I'll let you steal my moniker: HolocaustKing666

nothing bad can happen at all
  • Unless Sony changed it recently there isn't a way to change your psn account name. 

But in case I'm wrong:

Shadow_Centurion

QuisalisAssassin

BopalopianRabbit

• m8sgar

hashanabeer

2violas1horse
  • Aesgarbunkle
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • WhoseSobriquetIsItAnyway

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Skyrim nostalgia and this thread sparked some interest for me to look again at the Elder scrolls online. I hadn't really played it much since launch but it looks like it has had lots of improvements. The Thieves guild and Dark brotherhood expansions are live and the one Tamriel update removed a lot of unnecessary red tape for exploring and whatnot. 

I went ahead and fired up an eso plus sub, I guess I'll be hitting the pause button on Achaea for a minute.
  • 2k17 :).   

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I love the Borderlands games I still play them semi-regularly.

And I can only speak from my first impression with ESO- I hated it. I got it when it released, played it for ~2 hours, put it down and never went back. Skyrim, on the other hand, I just got the special edition and started downloading mods and the game's never been better. I've got different characters with different mod settings for difficulty changes. One of the most fun times I've had is with my my Frostfall/Campfires/Survival/Ranger character. Skyrim has never been so terrifying. "Was that a bear? I can't fight a bear right now, if I don't find wood I'm going to die of hypothermia! Oh shit, it wasn't a bear. It's a dragon."

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Borran said:
    I love the Borderlands games I still play them semi-regularly.

Wubwubwubwub

• MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    TESO is where I've been for the past year and a half. It's true that at launch the game was oh so very messed up and full of bugs. Unfortunately that turned a lot of people off to the game that ZOS has been desperately trying to lure back in. The upside is that they have made some serious improvements to the game and continue to release more and more content (including player housing as of this month). I disagree that the end game content is strictly PVP based. Anyone that has tried veteran hard mode trials can attest to that. That's what I find appealing is that you can focus on PVP or PVE and be challenged both ways (much like Achaea is).

I loved Skyrim and TESO is completely different as it is a MMORPG. Many people hated TESO because they thought it would be ES VI. People are right that it helps greatly to know people that play so that you can fully experience all the content. Yet, most people are very friendly on the game and are willing to help. The game will continue to eat up a lot of my time over the next year as the Morrowind expansion is set for June *drools*...

P.S.- Anyone can let me know if they are looking for an end game content guild to join ;)

• The mods you can get for Skyrim on PS4 are mostly pretty boring. The awesome stuff(Macho Man Randy Savage Dragons, Exploding Chickens) is limited to PC and XBone versions. That said, it's always going to be a good game.

Never played ESO much, but I had a friend that constantly tried to convince me to get it. Morrowind expansion is presumably going to be awesome, because Vvardenfell is an amazing place to get to explore. I have very strongly considered getting ESO just to experience Morrowind again.

Two other PS4 games that you would do well to play:
    * Bloodborne - One of the best games I've ever played. The Lovecraft inspired horror elements of the game are amazing. The gameplay is super smooth and fast-paced(quicker than other Souls games for sure). The soundtrack is also just phenomenal.
    * Doom(2016) - This game surprised me with its depth. The stages are massive and full of secrets, the combat is quick and satisfying, the multiplayer is more enjoyable to me than really any other kind of shooter game, and SnapMap enables you to make a lot of cool shit. The size of the environments and the exploration they encourage in the game feel reminiscent of Metroid Prime.