Clockwork/Mechanical Stuff

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
So it's generally known that in regards to custumisation, anything mechanical or clockwork is very firmly told no. Is there any clarification as to why? For instance, I had a shield design a long time ago that was going to be mechanical based, starting out as a banded bracelet with a large disc and when activated whirred and spun/folded out into a buckler sized shield.

Ended up having to go with an elemental them to give the same effect.

Why is it that in a world where golems can be artificed, with magic and elementalism and craftsmanship in general, that mechanical items as a result of tinkering and engineering seem to get shunned? Is it a genre clash?

Just curious as it's always been understood that such things aren't permitted, but never heard why.

Comments

• Isn't there an entire Isle of clockwork contraptions?

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Alaskar said:
    Isn't there an entire Isle of clockwork contraptions?
    There is but it's not a technology that we have access to, which is why we're generally not able to use steampunk designs in customisations.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Yep, no idea why it's not allowed but it's one of the big design prohibitions even though it exists on Clockwork Isle. The oddity is up there with the word champagne now being banned in designs even though you can buy it in Targ. I'm guessing in this case it's a genre thing.
  • It's totally a genre thing.

Achaea is a swords and sorcery setting. No guns, no cannons, no steampunk/technological gadgetry. People running around with clockwork shields and such sort of steampunks up the atmosphere, and that's a thing to avoid.
  • I'm actually pretty sure I've seen someone with clockwork-esque wings forever ago... Allinoe maybe? That could have been before the guidelines were tightened though.
  • Probably the same reason why shadow as a material is a no-go: The technology is there - hello, Clockwork Island - but nobody here knows how it came to be. A Civilization equivalent is probably like having a nuclear reactor in your capital city but not having researched Pottery in your tech tree(or whatever is the starting tech to reach Nuclear Fission). The knowledge is lost or carefully hidden away, so it is impossible to 'replicate' by any known mortal craftsman.

• Synbios said:
    Probably the same reason why shadow as a material is a no-go: The technology is there - hello, Clockwork Island - but nobody here knows how it came to be. A Civilization equivalent is probably like having a nuclear reactor in your capital city but not having researched Pottery in your tech tree(or whatever is the starting tech to reach Nuclear Fission). The knowledge is lost or carefully hidden away, so it is impossible to 'replicate' by any known mortal craftsman.
    Great point.

play more
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Synbios said:
    Probably the same reason why shadow as a material is a no-go: The technology is there - hello, Clockwork Island - but nobody here knows how it came to be. A Civilization equivalent is probably like having a nuclear reactor in your capital city but not having researched Pottery in your tech tree(or whatever is the starting tech to reach Nuclear Fission). The knowledge is lost or carefully hidden away, so it is impossible to 'replicate' by any known mortal craftsman.
    I've seen instances of shadow being used as a material....I think. I think someone has a bow that forms out of it when they draw it I

• Coiling tendrils of shadow coalesce around Karai, limning her skin as the atramentous wings adhere.

Karai is swiftly carried into the skies and out of sight by caliginous wings of viscous shadow.
    Shadow stuff is indeed allowed.
  • Shadow stuff is only allowed (currently) with intervention from Twilight or the Tsol'teth, per the customisation guidelines.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• With the coming of Depthswalker, though, doesn't that technically mean...everyone?
     <3 
  • Mathilda said:
    With the coming of Depthswalker, though, doesn't that technically mean...everyone?
    No, the Tsol'teth still have greater mastery and understanding of their arts, since they invented them.

Case in point, Depthswalker needs to drop mana down to a certain point before they Dictate. Tsol'teth can throw it around like candy.
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• Mathilda said:
    With the coming of Depthswalker, though, doesn't that technically mean...everyone?
    Think of it like cavemen being taught how to use guns: they know how to reload, maintain a clean barrel, aim down the sights, and shoot the brains off a charging mammoth from a thousand paces, but their understanding of the workings of a gun would be something like this:

"Me am feed lightning-spear shiny bugs, lightning-spear am happy and serve me. Me am clean lightning-spear mouth, make lightning-spear voice clear. Me am point lightning-spear at thing need dead. Me am pull lightning-spear tiny leg, boom boom, clan no go hungry many moons."

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Sarathai said:
    Shadow stuff is only allowed (currently) with intervention from Twilight or the Tsol'teth, per the customisation guidelines.
    Isis had shadow stuff about three years ago or so. Other have had items made from shadow long before this event.

• Kresslack said:
    Sarathai said:
    Shadow stuff is only allowed (currently) with intervention from Twilight or the Tsol'teth, per the customisation guidelines.
    Isis had shadow stuff about three years ago or so. Other have had items made from shadow long before this event.
    That's why I said currently! It's a more recent change.

• Goddamn it, I had my bow way before any of you scrubs had your cool things made from shadows :( gtfo