Prios, running, aff classes... Stuff.

edited November 2016 in The Matsuhama Arena
So, I'm starting to build my offensive system finally since if I die I don't lose a billion experience, but I'm having a couple problems with some things.

First off, learning priorities has been a huge pain point and it seems like there isn't much offered out there in terms of help with it. (Since I'm not in any pkers clans or whatnot to discuss these things.) So I've struggled a lot against classes like serpent, shaman, and occie recently. Tried swapping around priorities in svof and haven't quite found a sweet spot to really start gaining ground with it. My offensive system works fairly well, still some tweaks I -really- need to add but it's actually something now at least.

Secondly, running as a mechanic and HOW to handle when your opponent runs. Recently sparred Patroklos and though the first time I fought him I was able to preempt and get the kill, the second time around, constantly flying and trying to prevent flying and just all sorts of wonkiness I failed to really gain ground against him. So that brings up the next question, if your opponent runs and you don't get a preempt or a distortion to smack them, do you assume the fight automatically resets or how would you handle the situation? As an addition to this class, how do you know when to run? What alert signs do you look for?

Looking forward to actually burying time into this finally and not being just another tard out there flailing on the battlefield.

Appreciate all input and thanks for your time!

Comments

• edited November 2016
    The need for a large number of priority swaps is highly overstated. Serpent and Shaman are a bit of an exception to this, since failing to cure ginseng against them will lead to death, but in those cases swapping to prioritize ginseng over paralysis or lock afflictions will also lead to death against a competent opponent. A more useful skill would be to learn when you're at risk and what active actions you can take to mitigate that risk, such as fleeing or hindering.

As for handling running, there are a few ways for Depthswalker to do that, and you'll need to make use of all of them. The first is to make use of the anti-flight tools in the kit. Heila is extremely potent in duels for its ability to give you periodic tentacle that doesn't hurt your affliction or damage output much at all, and I think it's absolutely worth investing in. The strength of preempt allows Depthswalkers to chase into the air without risking your opponent simply flying away, like other movement hinders would risk, and this option makes defending against Depthswalkers more difficult than simply spamming 'queue add eqbal fly' over and over. Lastly, you should see what ways you can make your own offence as efficient as possible with running in mind. If you were to steal their shadow, then you've made meaningful progress even if they do run and reset your damage and affliction pressure, and having a shadow makes your other kill routes significantly faster.
  • Disagree about the need for prio swaps being overstated. Nearly every class you fight you will need some sort of smarter curing than cure paralysis. There are instances where salve curing priorities need to be managed efficiently as well.

Other than that, spot on.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Personally, I don't mess around with priority swaps very much. Instead, I use the thingy where it tells serverside curing to eat a thing first. But, then, I'm very old-fashioned about things like that. 

Definitely want a few priority swaps for certain classes, specially for salves, though. Going in without good swaps for magi will for sure get you murdered, for instance. Situational ones like if you're fighting a Paladin and might get damned, or need to avoid a sleeplock vs. Apostate, or dealing with concussions and Jester bullshit can be a lifesaver, though, if you're disciplined enough to code for specific curing scenarios like that!
  • edited December 2016
    The main prio swaps you need are impatience/para, ginseng/para, ginger/para swaps. For magi, good salve prios and parrying (but after a certain point ur pretty fcked). Infernal = restore on 4 broken limbs and prio mending > restoration when off EQ bal.

FYI If you ever prio switch hypersomnia you will most probs lose against a decent apostate. Better to just leave it then activate metawake before the second sleep/sleep stare then curseward/cure stuff then turn it off after you've cured it and put up insomnia again.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • In terms of chasing, since you use svof, I'll add that GOTOP is pretty invaluable. You can even chrono divine boost for balanceless sense and then instantly GOTOP (autowalks to your target) with Blur to make your autowalk speed 3 moves per second instead of the standard 2. This is assuming they ran away rather than flying.

In terms of when to run and what prios to have, it varies so widely based on both your class and your opponent's class, that it's hard to summarize. I'd suggest taking it piece by piece in the sense that you fight a serpent and lose, you stop and determine how you can survive against serpent and, specifically what you died to, but bearing in mind other things that could go wrong.

It's hard to try to figure out defense against every single class at once imo. Particularly hard for people to help you, because there's too much information for them to just throw it all at you at once. It's easier to attack it one class at a time.

Serpent, for example, you always want to prioritise impatience and hypochondria because they can only give them once before they have to rehypnotise you. Put hypochondria above impatience because otherwise you'll end up in an infinite impatience loop when it starts giving it. So I'd basically do hypochondria > impatience > paralysis > asthma for your typical prios.

Then, there's just darkshade, which you can handle by basically just swapping darkshade to top prio, say, 12 seconds after receiving it. Even if you don't know how to code that, though, I agree with Calira that it's practically not very important. Usually you want to prevent the serpent from ever getting darkshade buried on you for that long, through active defense, so it doesn't become very relevant.

In terms of active defense, watch svo's prompt afflictions. If you see yourself with three or more afflictions, you're probably in danger zone. Highlight the serpent snapping you. If you see that, there's potential danger. When you're in danger, as DW, I'd say use images and accelerate largely.

• GOTOP and QWHO <area> are the two things I miss the absolute most about Svo :( 
  • Senoske said:
    So, I'm starting to build my offensive system finally since if I die I don't lose a billion experience, but I'm having a couple problems with some things.

First off, learning priorities has been a huge pain point and it seems like there isn't much offered out there in terms of help with it. (Since I'm not in any pkers clans or whatnot to discuss these things.) So I've struggled a lot against classes like serpent, shaman, and occie recently. Tried swapping around priorities in svof and haven't quite found a sweet spot to really start gaining ground with it. My offensive system works fairly well, still some tweaks I -really- need to add but it's actually something now at least.

Secondly, running as a mechanic and HOW to handle when your opponent runs. Recently sparred Patroklos and though the first time I fought him I was able to preempt and get the kill, the second time around, constantly flying and trying to prevent flying and just all sorts of wonkiness I failed to really gain ground against him. So that brings up the next question, if your opponent runs and you don't get a preempt or a distortion to smack them, do you assume the fight automatically resets or how would you handle the situation? As an addition to this class, how do you know when to run? What alert signs do you look for?

Looking forward to actually burying time into this finally and not being just another tard out there flailing on the battlefield.

Appreciate all input and thanks for your time!

Re: running

As Depthswalker you're kind of in the gap between limb damage profs and standard aff classes. You'll lose offense when they run, but you can fairly reasonably just keep going if you catch up to them quickly, because your important aff will hit with the right thing for you regardless. Assuming they cured your venom specific affliction(s?), you'll probably be all set to keep on swinging away, unless you're doing something requiring a good bit of precision (just to prove you can, or for whatever other reason).

• Thank you all for the information. Lot of work to be done, but I appreciate you all taking the time to break a lot of the things down for me.