Combat newb and class selection

After years of being a total noncom in IRE games, I now have the desire to learn at least basics and be somewhat helpful. Given that I've never been a combatant, though, I don't know what I'm getting myself into with various classes in terms of learning curve and artefacts. Classes I'm considering are Apostate, Depthswalker, Infernal and Occultist. I've played each to level 50 so I've basic understanding of each (in theory).

From what I can tell, and I could be completely wrong, Occultist seems like it might be the easiest to learn (no reliance on venoms/limb breaks) while Infernal seems the opposite (because both). I'm not looking for an easy-button, one attack class, but I don't want to invest a lot of time into a character and realize I'm in over my head. Also, it's going to be a long time before artefacts become a possibility, so extreme reliance on them is a deal-breaker.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• Regarding Infernal, my current Infernal is using two-handed because its thematically appealing. This is the first time I've ever played a warrior-type character in an IRE game (I always go caster or rogue, here or in single-player RPGs). But I'm liking it from an RP perspective, so I'm gonna keep going with that. Thanks!
  • What about artefact considerations? Ignore Occultist, if I change from Infernal it'll be either Apostate or Depthswalker. Obviously, being inexperienced with combat, I'm not expecting to be top-tier, but knowing if there's a significant disparity in investment would be nice.
  • @Puxi I'm still not dead set on Infernal, but if I stick with it, I'd want to remain two-handed. Being a roleplayer/basher only for so long, thematics is still a big thing for me. Along the same lines, Runewarden isn't flavour I'm wanting at all. And as far as credits go, they're largely an eventuality. Which is to say I know how to make decent gold for house/city credits, but OOC purchases arent on the table right now.

All this is to say, I'm more than likely going to switch to my Apostate alt. Getting to the same point on her will be FAR less work than trying to make Simaera an Apostate, with no reincarnate/trait reset and losing 50% lessons. I like the RP of both classes a lot and I've been really enjoying Mhaldor. Lower artefact necessity on Apostate is a huge plus, but also I've read just about everything I can find on both classes combat strategies and Apostate seems more enjoyable, if more difficult.

Loads and loads of thanks to everyone for the invaluable advice. I'm far more informed and confident in class selection now.
  • sad when a person asks a ton of questions and you help them out and then they suicide, all that help gone completely to waste. Then you wonder why no one wants to help you
  • edited November 2016
    Exxia said:
    sad when a person asks a ton of questions and you help them out and then they suicide, all that help gone completely to waste. Then you wonder why no one wants to help you
    That's a super negative attitude to have. If you don't want to help, don't help. However, just because you gave someone all the help in the world doesn't mean they're having fun or feeling fulfilled with they're choice of city/house/class. It also doesn't mean their not grateful for your help. There's no reason to be nasty about it, which it what it feels like seeing as how if it wasn't directed to OP, it would have been in rants.

All your post has done is show other newer players who may be perusing such a thread for similar choice advice that you may be an asshole and steer them away.

eta: grammar
  • edited November 2016
    It's also possible that he took that information and just rolled a new character. Definitely not the attitude to take. I've had many proteges go dormant or suicide and I treated every single one the same, it's not what you should take into consideration when helping someone out. Many different possibilities, from rolling a new character to just not enjoying the game. No fault in anyone.
  • Ugh. First time I've ever outed myself as one of my alts intentionally but a) I want to address the most recent posts and b) if I'm going to do that, it makes more sense (to me, at least) to continue with relevant questions here rather than start another thread.

@Exxia - Yes, I suicided Simaera. I'm genuinely sorry if you feel your advice and time spent went to waste. It didn't, though. It helped me gain a more thorough understanding of combat in general and knight combat specifically - and realize that's not really my thing. Especially with the necessary artifact investment.

I'd have just quit class and eaten the lesson loss (detrimental as it would have been) but I'd already burned through reincarnate/trait reset and it was easier to reroll. Also, it was a somewhat drunk and impulsive decision. I've got a serious problem with impulsivity. It's embarassing to me, and a joke to people who know me, how I reroll constantly on impulse. Not just MUDs, TES is the same way. If I can get in a comfortable place with a character, it sticks, but getting there is the problem.

Which brings me to the 'now' thing.  I like where I'm going with Abellene. Insidium is a better fit than Dread Legates by leagues (nothing wrong with the Legates, but it's not my style). And I REALLY SUPER DO NOT WANT to put myself in a situation where impulsive suicide seems a tempting character choice again. Right now I'm a monk. IFL monk bashing, no lie. I decided against Apostate even though their combat looks to be my dream, because knight spoiled me and Apostate hunting is atrocious in comparison. Monk problems, though: One is that I'd prefer to learn combat as an affliction class rather than limb damage. Two is that monk looks like it requires too many artefacts (like knight) just to be viable in PvP. Again, I'm not aiming for top tier, just viable.

So, I'm feeling like my main options, in no order are:
    1) Stay monk, bash enough credits to multiclass Apostate.
    2) Eat the 50% lesson hit, switch to Serpent.
    3) Eat the 50% lesson hit, switch to Apostate and deal with shit PvE.

I've got a free reincarnation/trait reset, so those are covered. I'm pretty much reliant on IC credits for the forseeable future and 'smacking someone with my wallet' will never be an option. I mentioned Serpent because it's RP I could align Abellene with, affliction based and (if I read correctly) not hugely artefact dependent to be viable. Help me, wizened ones, you've been delightfully helpful so far.
  • edited November 2016
    I don't think monk is altogether that artifact dependent. Though I'm hardly anything approaching a good (or even mid-tier) combatant myself, I find myself much more limited by my health (I barely hunt)/race (-str race for rp reasons) then by offensive artifact set.  It does get a lot better with a diadem, admittedly, but quick-witted + a level one should open up about every scythe strategy (that I know of), and quick witted alone would be sufficient for most of them.

Either way, it's at least on par with serpent in that regard, probably better, since serpent really wants those artie dirks to achieve higher speeds. Neither will beat apostate/alchie/jester in that regard, but I think monk can be viable with no/low lesson investment more so then serpent.

That said, I think the most important part of learning combat is to find a class that you -want- to learn it with. I struggled a long time with classes that didn't match up with my tastes well, until I gave monk a try. If you aren't hot on prep classes in general or monk specifically, then class change/multiclass might be the best option regardless.
  • Thanks, @Keorin. I'm gonna drink more, sleep, drink more and think about it. If I do anything, it'll be switch to Apostate. Limb damage route just doesn't seem to be my thing (and Infernal looked too linear). I would love to learn Apostate combat, I can deal with the squishy hunting and lesson loss if I do it. I'm level 65 right now so I can dump into Evileye for Deadeyes and bash up gold for credits for tri-trans. I dunno, we'll see.
  • For the record, I believe Monk is still considered one of the lowest tiers of bashers. Sub-level75 bashing is a poor indicator as to how bashing goes, if you're aiming for anything higher than just Logosan (80).

But, my recommendation is similar to Keorin's last paragraph. Find a class you like, then learn combat with it. Don't pick a class just for the combat.

Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Where do you get that apostate is "squishy"? It's one of the tankiest classes in the game.

I'm not sure about bashing DPS, but I heard monk was awful for bashing.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Farrah said:
    Where do you get that apostate is "squishy"? It's one of the tankiest classes in the game.

I'm not sure about bashing DPS, but I heard monk was awful for bashing.
    Those bashing changes a while back brought it closer to in line with other classes, so it's much more tolerable, but it's still on the lower end iirc.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited November 2016
    okay...'

@Ankhareoutef all your post has shown is that you have nothing to offer in this thread except needless judgement. gfy
  • I've not gotten anything in Achaea past 65 yet, so obviously that's all the experience I've got to work with. That being said, I can handle much stronger things in Monk than Apostate at the same level. Siroccian (sp?) dwarves and orcs, Shala'jen monks, both were comfortable a full 10 levels earlier on monk. A good deal of that is due to matters of attrition. Monk is doing roughly 50% more damage per attack compared to Apostate, on a slightly faster balance. Having played 2H/DWB, Monk, Apostate and Occultist all to 60isv, I'd put their speed in that order.
  • It's kinda hard to judge bashing until you've bashed pretty high, honestly. The experience curve is exponential, so the higher you get the more experience needed, and therefore the more bashing you do. Usually bashing is rated something like
    Knight classes > most classes > Monk > Blademaster. Poor Blademasters.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • edited November 2016
    Artied occultist doesn't feel as glass cannony as I feared. Super Artied bard is the best. Speed and some tankiness. 
  • Occultist being a glass cannon is a complete myth. With simulacrum and orb, it is by far the most resilient class vs. every non-physical damage type, including untyped damage