Because by popular demand

Hey all,

So, there's been some requests for me to make more improvements to the website via Tampermonkey scripts. I know @Tecton said he's got some plans to improve things, but until then I've created an entire repository of the (for now) four scripts I've made! You can find them here! I'm going to take some time when I can find it to update the ReadMe, and probably clean these scripts up more if possible. However, these are tools everyone can make use of, and it's only fair I make everyone's lives easier.

HOW TO INSTALL

1. Go to the repository, and find the script(s) that you want.
  2. Click on the script you want to install.
  3. Click the RAW link. In most cases it should just automatically let you install. I have one or two that don't, so follow step 4.
  4. Right click the raw button > Copy Link Address
  5. Open Tampermonkey > Utilities
  6. Paste the link into the URL textbox and click the button.
If you have any questions/comments/concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. These scripts do take time to develop, so if you find yourself making regular use of them, a kudos is appreciated!

Comments

• I'm a dumb. Can you explain what Tampermonkey is? Did some Googling and see it is a chrome extension, but don't understand the application.
  • Puxi said:
    I'm a dumb. Can you explain what Tampermonkey is? Did some Googling and see it is a chrome extension, but don't understand the application.
    Tampermonkey is an extension (not just Chrome, I believe he has a FF version as well) that will inject javascript into a website. This can allow you to change the behavior of a website. For example, one script takes the textbox that only shows something like 18 characters, and turns it into a resizeable text area, so you can see your whole message at once.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited October 2016

Huh. Neat.
  • edited October 2016
    Ahmet said:
    Puxi said:
    I'm a dumb. Can you explain what Tampermonkey is? Did some Googling and see it is a chrome extension, but don't understand the application.
    It basically allows you to install scripts that change certain elements of a webpage whenever you visit it. In this case, every time you visit the nexus client, the Tampermonkey scripts change the client accordingly to make the input area easier to use, or make message timestamps change to your local time when you receive them, etc etc.
    These aren't for the nexus client actually. That would be borderline impossible with the design of that. You'd have to do some scripting with their triggers. This is strictly for the IRE website logs, messages,  and the like. Nor would I feel comfortable without @Makarios signing off on manipulating live text like that. The idea here for people like myself who can't access the game at work, can still communicate and stay up to date on logs, and know what time they were sent locally, versus having to math out the GMT every time.
  • I wasn't even aware you could read log or messages from the website!
  • Puxi said:
    I wasn't even aware you could read log or messages from the website!
    IRE has a chrome extension for that too. You log into it, and it'll let you know when you have new messages (to which you can respond) or news posts to read. I do 99% of my reading on the website because there's too much chatter in the game.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I like to read news on the website because I can keep it open if I'm responding to it rather than scrolling up and hoping that Mudlet doesn't crash on me or c/p into notepad.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.