Finding your story

2»

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2012
    Jiraishin said:

Alternately, you can go with the flow and let your character naturally diverge from yourself as she gains experience and you get a feel for the world.

This is exactly how I ended up. Considering I started when I was 16 and had my fair share of snugglebunny for a couple years, I'm happy how much Melodie has deviated from me the player, and often continues to do so more and more as I keep playing. Comparing my roleplay from the last year, to before my dormancy a few years ago, is SUCH an amazing difference.

Don't be afraid to have fun, make mistakes, and always keep growing and changing!

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Perhaps the most challenging and satisfying of roleplaying is how you can roleplay a character different from yourself. Arlanda is no-nonsense, relatively quiet and hates being in the spotlight while the real me is constantly talking non-stop and probably also often in the spotlight.
  • Jiraishin said:
    Alternately, you can go with the flow and let your character naturally diverge from yourself as she gains experience and you get a feel for the world.
    Or just go with the flow and play an insect version of yourself.

Actually Eld is way more responsible than me.
  • @Arlanda I'm the exact opposite IRL (introverted) and I'm finding it a real challenge to force Sybilla to go and say hello to people and bring up topics if it goes quiet! It will be interesting to observe and participate in more drunken Occultist revelries!
  • @Sybilla It gets easier, I promise. I'm fairly introverted IRL even to the point of being painfully shy at times, but Morro tends to be a bit less so. Once you warm up to everyone and get into the game it won't be such a challenge.
  • @Sybilla it really depends on how you want to develop your RP. I would recommend just having a basic framework and slowly develop things from there. Setting your characters RP in stone at the start will become painful if you find that you cannot maintain it. Things can develop along the way from hating a previous organisation you were in or still having feelings for a past organisation or sorts.
  • @Morro Good to hear, glad to know I'm not the only one.

@Arlanda No, nothing set in stone of course, just encouraging myself to get out of my comfort zone to wield the best results, both for my own enjoyment and hopefully that of others I interact with (or at least, without causing annoyance!)
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    Unfortunately, I had to prune this discussion in order to remove some inappropriate and off-topic material. Remember, ladies, gentlemen, and those who subscribe to another newsletter entirely, this is the Scarlattan Theatre. Big kid hats on, please!

• This is a great thread for a newbie aspiring RPer like myself. So, I have no useful knowledge, just a question that I hope won't be TOO big a hijack:

At roughly what IC age did you lot really start getting into the meat of your roleplaying?  'Cause I've been trying to lay some groundwork for my character with solid interactions in my city and House, but I'm taking it very slowly. I don't want Maethros to be that annoying twerp who tries to get in with the established players three seconds after joining, all "move over, suckas, I'm about to school you, and win me some Achaea!"  

Also, have any of you had (or are open to having) any particularly awesome RP interactions with younger characters?  Or are you, for the most part, more guarded among novices?  I can only imagine that the turnover rate for characters is astronomical, so I can see the hesitation in getting too invested in interactions with characters who may not be around for longer than a day.
  • I played at 15-16, and completely skipped over the roleplay... briefly did another stint a few years later, and still didn't really get it. Started Katzchen when I got back into it last year around my 23rd birthday. The first character with an actual identity and personality that wasn't just 'me'.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• @Maethros - laying groundwork is perfect.. I think personally, I start taking a new character seriously around 20, 21, when they've been playing for a full month already. But you can RP a lot of small things from 18 on and little things build a character to me far more than a defined role that someone wants me to inquire about, if that makes sense.

And my best experience with younger characters, which I was thinking about at work today, was when I was new myself, almost a true newbie (as my first main didn't stick too long) and had a group of other newbies, all within a year or two of Ephram's age. They were all Mojushai, and we had this vibe going of new recruits to the House who kept pushing the boundaries of Mojushaine behaviour, but as such, learned a lot from those experiences and grew from them. Or at least, Eph did. I really can't think of another example in the last few years, to be honest, but that's not to say it didn't happen.

And to the original topic, hell... Eph is 226 years old and still finding his story. I've made changes out of boredom or whatnot, but the best stories I've found are the ones that happened more organically... He joined Lady Melantha's preorder in his 20s, was inducted relatively quickly... and then left after she went dormant, only to return when a denizen from the temple sought him out, shortly before her return. Now, with her death, his story has completely changed and I have no idea where it's going next. I'm trying to see what happens if I just let it develop on its own, though I'm trying to be conscious to expand his circle of contacts to range beyond what he knows, just for the sake of opening possibilities.

Not sure if that makes sense. Long night at work tonight.
  • XerXer Langley
    I pretty much did nothing until I was around 21 ~ 23 years of age, because I literally didn't know anything but how to bash. I slept and meditated to save health and mana sips, kicked pixies until I learned I could bleed, and read a lot of house scrolls. I eventually progressed to HR3 status sometime during that time, but Xer didn't really start to have a personality until Jurixe came along with some cultural stuff, specifically a renovation of our execution grounds. I thought it would be something interesting to work on instead of constantly bashing, and I gave it some thought. Then came a torture showcase that got me in touch with more people, Vrah, Xinna, Jurixe, Carmain, etc. Things pretty much exploded from there and I'm not really sure how I got through it all, but there's still a lot more I know I could work on for my own personal story. I've been caught up in combat these days though, and it's being incorporated into my character as well. I definitely think you can start developing who you are at an early age, but it also never ceases to evolve. I think. I'm only 37 IG/since I first started but Achaea gives the feeling that there's always something to do, always some potential in it to be unlocked >.>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited December 2012
    Maethros said:

At roughly what IC age did you lot really start getting into the meat of your roleplaying?  'Cause I've been trying to lay some groundwork for my character with solid interactions in my city and House, but I'm taking it very slowly. I don't want Maethros to be that annoying twerp who tries to get in with the established players three seconds after joining, all "move over, suckas, I'm about to school you, and win me some Achaea!"  

Also, have any of you had (or are open to having) any particularly awesome RP interactions with younger characters?  Or are you, for the most part, more guarded among novices?  I can only imagine that the turnover rate for characters is astronomical, so I can see the hesitation in getting too invested in interactions with characters who may not be around for longer than a day.
    Just continue to build your framework. Do smaller RP things to show the older players that you are serious about roleplaying, but do it in a way that doesn't make you seem like the "I'm a special snowflake, pay attention to me" type. If you're not sure whether you can or not, it's probably better if you don't. 

Before you fully invest yourself in a specific type of roleplay, talk to other characters from other cities ICly about their beliefs and such. It's a good way to be introduced to different methods of roleplay and you can adjust your current roleplay to fit your vision of your character. 

I will interact with any person that interacts with me, regardless of age. I don't go out of my way, however, for the exact reasons you posted.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I don't think I could pinpoint an age, but Morro was well out of novicehood before I was comfortable with the grasp I had of her RP in general. Ever since, I've done a couple of things that I think have been important in her life and a whole lot of groundwork kind of things. Even the very casual things can be lots of fun and can contribute to a players idea of just who their character is, and how to convey that character to other players.

I love interacting with younger characters, but tend to not seek them out unless I'm offer aide for various reason. First, not many of them will have an idea yet about where they want the character to go, or who they want this character to be. That's fine, of course. I scrapped the entire history I wrote for Morro until I had a better feel of the game and the culture in the Occultists and Ashtan. Second, a really new person will already have a lot to deal with between learning the game and House requirements. Even if the character is an alt, being immersed into a new culture can be overwhelming, and I tend feel that adding onto that can do more harm than good.

That said, I've had some pretty good interactions with young characters in the past, though I couldn't think of any in particular. They usually tend to have something to do with discussions of Chaos or the Occultist House.

And there have been some very, very bad ones, too. It's a mixed bag.
  • edited December 2012
    With all of my characters, I simply gave them a personality and some basic things.  Like Ide grew up in the Tsol'aa village, and they are a peaceful people so she's a pacifist and always has been.   The rest I add on based on experiences.  

For example her personality would have very much made her a child of Selene but Ide never heard of her until she'd died, but because she feels like a rogue at heart, she ended up offering to Hermes (ties back to her being abandoned by her rogue father).

Everything just builds.  She developed her distaste for Oakstone because of @Anatral, her mentor and now husband.

Then, meeting @Mishgul / Carmain compounded on that. 

Later some additional details were added - Anatral's grove is right near Tsol'aa, so they attribute their closeness to him having known and basically dated her (except for the 2 years after the flame), her entire life, essentially.

Now she's struggling with being pressured to fight for Nature which is entirely against her morals, so this is going to change her personality and her story a bit... and how that goes will depend on her interactions.  

It's fun to leave things open ended and see where things take you.

Also, don't be afraid to CHANGE your character as they grow.  I see a lot of people that are 60 years old that still act like a 6 year old, or exactly like they did when they started, because "that's my RP."  But people change, they evolve, they grow.  Idelisa used to be touchy feely when she was younger, but now as she approaches 40 if anyone but her family touches her she will politely smile and inch away.  Needless to say she doesn't hang out in Cyrene much.  

While my alt, on the other hand lives in Cyrene and has always hated being touched/hugged/etc but is starting to try to adapt socially to be more tolerant because of her family.
  • Excellent feedback, thank you!  For many of the reasons you guys have mentioned, I have a very general idea where I'd like to see Maethros go and where he's come from, but nothing's set in stone. I don't want to ignore good opportunities and paint myself into an RP corner by stubbornly sticking to something that doesn't work -- or comes off as snowflakey.  God help me, if I ever snowflake it up, you have my permission to kill me once.

I haven't had a ton of interaction with other orgs or cities, but I hope to remedy that once I get out of novicehood and really begin exploring the world.  And I promise I'll do my best not to be a twerp while doing so. 

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Please, for the love of God, don't walk into my room and say "I've just gone through the trial and now I'm trying to find my friends/family" or any variation thereof. I will happily give you the finger and tell you to go away.

(The only reason I mention this is because some novice came and asked to help find his/her family.)
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Jonathin Yeeeeah, sorry about that. I just really miss them, and it's been SO LONG since I've had a proper hug. 

If that ever happens again, tell the kid "you JUST missed them!  Follow me!" and drop your victim off in the Underworld.  They'll either learn a little subtlety or start RPing that their parents are Ur'Vamps.  So...win-win!

• Tell that one to come to me. I'll help him/her to try find family and friends. It looks like something fun to do.
  • @Maethros: I think the best advice I can give you, if you want to become a master of RP here, is don't view and treat Achaea as a game! Treat it as a real world. An understanding of game mechanics is important, obviously, but it shouldn't be the backdrop to how you imagine life within Achaea to be. Game mechanics are there to enable you to exist in a living breathing world - not to lolgriefsnuggle in a text-based button bashing 'computer-game'.  This subtle difference in your imagination-paradigm will be what sets you above lesser adventures in terms of immersive RP.
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

Maethros said:
    This is a great thread for a newbie aspiring RPer like myself. So, I have no useful knowledge, just a question that I hope won't be TOO big a hijack:

I actually didn't start understanding and roleplaying seriously until Aerek was in his 40's or 60's, but a lot of that was because I was introduced to this by a friend of mine, and I went OOC to him for everything I needed instead of my house and city in the beginning. I think you already have much more of an idea and foundation for what you're doing than I did back then, though, and that's not a bad thing. The best advice, I think, is to be open and eager so you do attract some attention, but while being malleable and not dumping your RP "baggage" at the slightest provocation.

Personally, I love working with incoming newbies, and I think it's a lot easier for both me and them when it comes to roleplaying because we are in such a military house. For me, playing drill sergeant is easy and doesn't take hours to introduce like the complex ideologies of some other Houses, so I don't feel the fatigue of newbie attrition as bad. For them, even if they're completely new to MUD'ing or roleplaying, when the guy titled "Sir" starts bellowing like R. Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket, it quickly sets the tone and gives them an idea of how to act and react in this new story they've started. Because of this natural, easy dynamic, I can't think of many "bad" experiences with newbies. It's usually about 50/50 between being quiet and subdued, (Either they're still too new to RP back much, or they're kept from trying to be all "special snowflake" by the cold, military treatment. Both of those are fine by me.) or they immediately latch onto the soldier role and start saluting, using titles, and so forth.

I'll also say, @Maethros, that you picked a fantastic time to show up. Achaea, itself has been a blast, lately, and the Wardens currently have a great batch of Novitaites like @Kardal, @Sykes, @Taurnil, @Keiden, and a few others I can't recall currently that can help give you a group of "brothers" to play with. Plus, we have a nice assortment of active Wardens at various stages from @Nellaundra, @Arkailus, and @Tasleus; (Ranking above you but still learning about combat and the Ethos) to @Prydwyn, @Wessux, and @Garrus; (Higher-ranking Pages and Squires to use as role models and mentors) and of course Knights like @Zinka, @Tarkor, and @Friztic; (Who are class acts and obviously enjoy their roles) so you have a great view of what life is at every stage of Warden advancement.

(Summon the Wardens!)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Absolutely! The Wardens have certainly been very active right now and one of the things I noticed that may help you out a bit, is that your roleplay will really begin to establish itself as you progress through the house and become more comfortable with how achaea works. The game will surprise you at how absolutely HUGE it is, but it'll force you to mold your character into who you want him to be!
  • @Lodi Great advice!  I agree: treating it only as a computer game does it a bit of a disservice, I think.  Not in the "I believe I'm ACTUALLY a Runic Knight" sense, obviously, but in the way you end up interacting with the text-world and everyone in it.  Instead of seeing everyone and everything as just words on a screen that only exists to serve you, you can interact with the unique characters that people have fleshed out with their own motivations and goals that may not always align with yours.  That really does allow for some great experiences, I imagine.

@Aerek Heh, you've actually put your finger on another great reason I chose the Class and House that I did.  Not only did it make for a great RP reason in and of itself with the Bal'met shenanigans, it was simultaneously a character who's going to be pretty different from myself -- which'll be fun to RP -- AND something I can still relate to.  I may be closer to a peacenik hippie than a general in real life, but I've seen Full Metal Jacket, dammit.  The House has been perfect both for that clear, defined RP (great for someone who's learning the world, because it still offers interesting opportunities) AND the camaraderie you mentioned.  It's great to see, at any given time, people at all different levels in the house, learn from those great players you mentioned, AND be able to bond with people who are in my boat.  All in all, it's been a great experience, so far.
  • Maethros said:
    @Lodi Great advice!  I agree: treating it only as a computer game does it a bit of a disservice, I think.  Not in the "I believe I'm ACTUALLY a Runic Knight" sense, obviously, but in the way you end up interacting with the text-world and everyone in it.  Instead of seeing everyone and everything as just words on a screen that only exists to serve you, you can interact with the unique characters that people have fleshed out with their own motivations and goals that may not always align with yours.  That really does allow for some great experiences, I imagine.

@Aerek Heh, you've actually put your finger on another great reason I chose the Class and House that I did.  Not only did it make for a great RP reason in and of itself with the Bal'met shenanigans, it was simultaneously a character who's going to be pretty different from myself -- which'll be fun to RP -- AND something I can still relate to.  I may be closer to a peacenik hippie than a general in real life, but I've seen Full Metal Jacket, dammit.  The House has been perfect both for that clear, defined RP (great for someone who's learning the world, because it still offers interesting opportunities) AND the camaraderie you mentioned.  It's great to see, at any given time, people at all different levels in the house, learn from those great players you mentioned, AND be able to bond with people who are in my boat.  All in all, it's been a great experience, so far.
    I'm just going to beam at this a million times and try not to metagame by hanging out with you a whole lot more.
  • Aerek said:

I'll also say, @Maethros, that you picked a fantastic time to show up. Achaea, itself has been a blast, lately, and the Wardens currently have a great batch of Novitaites like @Kardal, @Sykes, @Taurnil, @Keiden, and a few others I can't recall currently that can help give you a group of "brothers" to play with. Plus, we have a nice assortment of active Wardens at various stages from @Nellaundra, @Arkailus, and @Tasleus; (Ranking above you but still learning about combat and the Ethos) to @Prydwyn, @Wessux, and @Garrus; (Higher-ranking Pages and Squires to use as role models and mentors) and of course Knights like @Zinka, @Tarkor, and @Friztic; (Who are class acts and obviously enjoy their roles) so you have a great view of what life is at every stage of Warden advancement.

(Summon the Wardens!)
    I'll have to agree with that. We are currently very active, which is probably due to the fact that there is no real alternative if you are looking for a Good or Neutral knight house. From what I've seen so far, you are doing a good job, so keep at it.

I don't see working with newbies as a particular strain, but then I'm HoN for the Wardens (again). I like working with the young ones, and the fact that a good deal of them disappear every now and then is sad, but part of the job. I'm going a bit of a different route from @Aerek, as you might have noticed. As for my own background, it mostly evolved out of questions and discussions with my knight during my own time as Page and Squire. I didn't really have it all laid out at the beginning, but always added bits and pieces to it as I went along.