Returning after a long time

Hello all! I was thinking about coming back to Achaea after... 12 years I think it's been. I'm not really sure what to do class-wise (and with anything else, really, but class seems like a good place to start). I'd like to start over with a new character.

Back in the day, I was a Sentaari monk in Shallam (RIP) for quite a while, then a Dawnstrider serpent. Only ever got to roughly bi-trans, +40-50% in the third, with a touch of weaponry and survival thrown in. I loved both of these classes for different reasons - monk seemed to bash really well, had decent defenses, and if I was bored, I could always start axe kicking rats. As a serpent, I loved exploring the continent, phasing if I suspected danger, and even some things that had more of a roleplay vibe to them - rattling at serpents, running through treetops, secretly putting silly items onto someone's person. And of course, all of us aspiring PVPers biting each other with Loki to teach ourselves about curing.

I also spent time on alts as a magi, druid and apostate. Did a little bit of everything with them, though not to the extent as I did with monk and serpent (serpent was easily the most fun I've had, though apostate may be a close second). ANYWAY, I say all this to help with the opinions on what I should return as. I've been lurking on these forums for a few days - seems denizens are more challenging but yield better rewards, apparently there's a multiclass system, and dragons are around every corner. I doubt I'll have the RL funds for artefacts, or the time to spend earning them in-game, which I'm completely okay with.

I was thinking of trying out a blademaster. I've read quite a bit about how they're sub-par in terms of bashing, but that doesn't overly bother me, especially since it's been over a decade since I've played, so I have no real basis for comparison. I don't plan on much PVP, but I was never one to turn down a spar (even if I knew I'd be decimated, because at the least I'd learn something about the other class), and as I said, I don't need to be the greatest basher of all time, so long as I can tune out the world and hunt a bit when I get bored. I don't know, reading about blademasters just made them sound like an interesting choice. Never tried out any classes other than the ones listed above - although I can say I've never had any interest in the knight classes, however good they may be :P

Any recommendations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• I guess to give you an accurate breakdown, we'd have to know what your interests are. You say you don't mind bad bashing, and you want to dabble in PVP but not commit to it, but what kind of roleplay are you interested in? Do you want to be the bad guy this go round, or are you interested in sticking with Team Blue? 

Which style of PVP did you like better, the limb-setup and execution or the subtle affliction lock that left them incapacitated? 

I love Serpent's utility and I love the idea of serpent's combat, but when it comes to practice, I was quite frustrated and ended up using a script for all my dstabs. If you don't want to be serpent again, I'd suggest jester. It's one of those classes that the more creative you are, the more rewarding it is. The utility and roleplay allow you to get caught up in the role and lead to great things. Occultist is cool too, but with the Occie House gone, I feel like the class lost a lot of roleplay. Typically your affliction-based classes are going to require fewer artefacts than the damage-based ones. 

Not sure what faction you're wanting to play, but I'd really love to see jesters in Eleusis. Bomb-monkeys are awesome and I hate seeing raid groups come in and kick our butt with some bombs.

• @Borran, after my short time as an apostate, I saw how unbelievably helpful Mhaldorians are (and shoving me through totems to teach curing was just... the coolest thing ever). I met awesome people on both ends of the spectrum, so really, good or evil doesn't matter to me. How I roleplay is usually something I develop in the moment, and then it snowballs from there.

I enjoyed setting up that perfect affliction lock much more than limb setup, but to be fair, the monk was my first ever class. Back then I was still trying to understand the mechanics of the game in ADDITION to the monk mechanics. So while I enjoyed afflictions a great deal, I feel like I haven't properly given any other method enough attention, which is part of the reason blademaster appealed to me. I always enjoy trying new things.

I never knew any jesters, and I never tried the class myself. Can you elaborate on "the more creative you are..."? I never knew any occultists either, but I did fight a few of them, and they always seemed interesting (eliciting many "holy what THATWASAWESOME!!!"s out of me). I don't even remember if houses existed yet the last time I really played.

I guess I'm not giving a lot of specifics here, as it's been so long since I've played. So I guess in summary... I enjoyed afflictions very much, but never gave anything else much of a try. I've met awesome people from every city, so I have no preference. I'll probably bash more than PVP, but I play to have fun, not to min/max. Again, sorry, when you're gone for so long, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what it is you're looking for.
  • I haven't had a lot of experience as a Jester, only what I've heard from other people. It's a very strong PVP class with extreme potential in groups. Their use of tarot gives them access to roped, aeon, mental afflictions. Pranks give you bombs that stun, web, and blackout. You also get the ability to juggle, which allows you to throw envenomed daggers. Puppets give you all sorts of combinations of limb-breaking, concussions, afflictions, as well as utilities. Finding ways to combine these abilities can lead to sticky situations that can give you just enough time to get a jack-in-the-box off, or complete a lock, or stack rapid damage. But it's all about finding your own unique ways to accomplish it and finding out which gimmick you can fool them with.

• That sounds like a lot of very unique mechanics, and I'd be lying if I said that back in the day I never wondered just WHO actually used daggers. Tarot always seemed like it had a lot of interesting mechanics as well. Do you happen to know how well they fare in bashing? (Or a quick rundown of blademasters? Or shamans, who caught my interest back when I tried out apostate?)
  • @sena Can you give us some numbers on Jester bashing?

• With all the recent changes, I don't really have any useful details.