E3 2016!

So, E3's been going on, and I haven't seen any discussions about it yet!

EA felt mostly like a bust. Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer, the only thing I was really interested in, was okay but we learned literally nothing new from it. Maybe got a view of the female version of the protagonist, maybe. 

Mostly excited about Bethesda's stuff. Dishonoured 2 trailer, with more gameplay shown! Looks fantastic, and I really hope we get a deeper look at the Outsider this time.

Also, the new Skyrim Special Edition looks really amazing. I thought it looked pretty, but was kind of 'eh' until I found out that people who own the Legendary Edition on Steam, or have the base game and all 3 DLC owned on Steam, will get a copy of it for free! The new engine should hopefully allow more than 256 mods and remove the memory limitations, so we don't have to worry about patching those ourselves and leading to builds that crash easily. Some people are worried that it'll break mods, but anything that's limited to game assets, such as textures, meshes, light maps, sounds, quests, scripts, etc. should all work fine. Things like SKSE might need to be fixed, but otherwise it should be a smooth migration. From the look of things, though, a lot of those mods might not even be necessary any more.

Dishonoured 2:

Skyrim: Special Edition:

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited June 2016
    I haven't done a full review of rumours of what's expected, I just know there better be some really tasty Zelda things in Nintendo's Zelda booth or I'mma be super pissed.

Really hope Sony Playstation might tease a Last of Us 2 thing too, though. Or Ubisoft and Child of Light 2. Or some other things. Research will be done when I am a bit more awake.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Sure hope they fix the infamous long-standing speech-sync bug in Skyrim.  The bug appeared in the final official patch, and because it was an engine bug, modders couldn't really fix it.
  • Mmmmm, the new Resident Evil actually looks a little too scary for me to play. I don't do well with horror games (quit Amnesia: The Dark Descent like, two minutes into it), but the original series wasn't too horror-ish for me, even the originals. A 20 minute demo that apparently is available for PS subscription peoples can be watched here. NSFWish, and not for people who don't like horrors. I was tensed up for nearly all of it just watching. Very claustrophobic. The trailer is pretty good too.

On a happier note, looks like God of War is getting a sort of reboot, in Kratos' son/grandson likely taking over as the new hero, and actually doing Norse mythology now. Looks pretty awesome, very different look than usual for GoW. Hopefully the series will be decent again.

Worse part of all these nice reveals is actually having to wait for the games to come out (or a Let's Play of RE7 being done, so I can watch it without actually having to play it... not happening).
  • Also, Christopher Judge as the voice of Kratos is pretty sweet.

Hnnnnnnnnnnggggggg 2017 cannot get here soon enough for so many reasons, but the above especially. :grin:
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    No pokemon go??

• Maybe it's an age thing... but is anyone slowly becoming less impressed by sequels and remakes? :/

That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • edited June 2016
    Speaking in terms of Zelda, every game has had its quirks but they have always been amazing quality and enough to make me buy a system to play them.

Though I am a Zelda freak
    edited June 2016
    Aesi said:
    Speaking in terms of Zelda, every game has had its quirks but they have always been amazing quality and enough to make me buy a system to play them.

This, plus nostalgia. Zelda OoT was my initiation into fantasy (I had only owned a Sega Genesis before then - my older brothers hoarded the super nintendo, those buggers), period, as well as any sort of roleplaying anything. My first roleplaying ever done was in a Nintendo chat room with two friends, and we often acted out Zelda-type things. It's how I met friends, I grew up with the series, and most of all, it was one of the couple of games that have sparked my career choice. So the Zelda series will always have a very special place for me.

Beyond that though, open world plus lots of exploration plus a crafting system and the ability to choose (beyond the very opening area) where to go, plus atmosphere, are just all big draws. Add in a great story you love and lore you enjoy exploring and it's just a great recipe. I'll agree each Zelda has its own little quirks, but from all signs, this one looks to be really getting back to its roots (many parts of the game are apparently inspired from the original Zelda) while also exploring a new style of gameplay. It's a fun mix.

@Szanthax I did actually see them cover some pokemon stuff earlier today during E3. I've been watching via  (which only covers Nintendo-related stuff obviously) and while a great majority is Zelda, there was definitely some coverage on pokemon-related stuff (of which, while I adored the series as a child, I've rather grown out of unfortunately - it doesn't keep my attention very much as an adult).

Edit: Also horse riding. Did I mention horse riding? Seriously, yes, hello, more please. It was the thing I missed most in Skyward Sword. I'm easy to please in that aspect.
  • edited June 2016
    A lot the same for me, @Melodie except my first foray into Zelda was when I got my Super Nintendo for my fourth birthday. A Link to the Past. Still is my favourite Zelda to this day.

It also got me into Roleplay, I found this game called Graal Online (which basically had the ALttP tile set) where I played on a few servers. One of them was primarily Role Play.

Career choice? Do you rule Hyrule? 

Ocarina of time was my first foray into 3D Zelda and also loved it.

I grew up with the series too, especially with the dawn of the Internet / www and going to zelda.com (before Nintendo bought it up) and seeing naked ladies in the middle of a school classroom rofl

lots of happy moments came out of the franchise.
  • Miyamoto said he wants to go back to something more like the original NES Zelda format: exploration without the incredibly linear storyline. About how he made Zelda based off of exploring and finding these caves as he was growing up. If that's actually what's happening, it'll be a pretty big departure from the current series formula,which is a good thing IMO. We've basically been replaying A Link to the Past's formula for ages, and while the games have generally been enjoyable, it's gotten boring. This game promises to be different.

And it looks amazing for a Zelda game, different armours you can choose between, different weapons, nice physics interactions likes this... Add in the openness of NES Zelda, and it's enough for me to buy a Wii U. Maybe after the reviews come out.
  • edited June 2016
    Tydas said:
    Miyamoto said he wants to go back to something more like the original NES Zelda format: exploration without the incredibly linear storyline. About how he made Zelda based off of exploring and finding these caves as he was growing up. If that's actually what's happening, it'll be a pretty big departure from the current series formula,which is a good thing IMO. We've basically been replaying A Link to the Past's formula for ages, and while the games have generally been enjoyable, it's gotten boring. This game promises to be different.

And it looks amazing for a Zelda game, different armours you can choose between, different weapons, nice physics interactions likes this... Add in the openness of NES Zelda, and it's enough for me to buy a Wii U. Maybe after the reviews come out.
    Yeah Skyward Sword took "collect three" to new levels. I enjoyed the hell out of the game but found myself wondering when I would stop collecting sets

In addendum to my above post, my right thumb has scars from analog stick cuts haha
    Melodie said:
    Aesi said:

This, plus nostalgia. Zelda OoT was my initiation into fantasy (I had only owned a Sega Genesis before then - my older brothers hoarded the super nintendo, those buggers), period, as well as any sort of roleplaying anything. My first roleplaying ever done was in a Nintendo chat room with two friends, and we often acted out Zelda-type things. It's how I met friends, I grew up with the series, and most of all, it was one of the couple of games that have sparked my career choice. So the Zelda series will always have a very special place for me.

Beyond that though, open world plus lots of exploration plus a crafting system and the ability to choose (beyond the very opening area) where to go, plus atmosphere, are just all big draws. Add in a great story you love and lore you enjoy exploring and it's just a great recipe. I'll agree each Zelda has its own little quirks, but from all signs, this one looks to be really getting back to its roots (many parts of the game are apparently inspired from the original Zelda) while also exploring a new style of gameplay. It's a fun mix.

@Szanthax I did actually see them cover some pokemon stuff earlier today during E3. I've been watching via  (which only covers Nintendo-related stuff obviously) and while a great majority is Zelda, there was definitely some coverage on pokemon-related stuff (of which, while I adored the series as a child, I've rather grown out of unfortunately - it doesn't keep my attention very much as an adult).

Edit: Also horse riding. Did I mention horse riding? Seriously, yes, hello, more please. It was the thing I missed most in Skyward Sword. I'm easy to please in that aspect.
    <3@Melodie I havent really played since red and blue and yellow or whatever.... but I feel like new stuff will be awesome :)

Aesi said:
    A lot the same for me, @Melodie except my first foray into Zelda was when I got my Super Nintendo for my fourth birthday. A Link to the Past. Still is my favourite Zelda to this day.

It also got me into Roleplay, I found this game called Graal Online (which basically had the ALttP tile set) where I played on a few servers. One of them was primarily Role Play.

Career choice? Do you rule Hyrule? 

Ocarina of time was my first foray into 3D Zelda and also loved it.

I grew up with the series too, especially with the dawn of the Internet / www and going to zelda.com (before Nintendo bought it up) and seeing naked ladies in the middle of a school classroom rofl

lots of happy moments came out of the franchise.
    I am definitely going to professionally be the next Princess Zelda, yessir.

But in reality, it's my hope to get a bachelor's in Interactive Media and get myself involved in the story-making elements of video games, and all of the little details involved with that. Considering a minor in animation to help supplement that. Still figuring out the details, but I want to help create interactive emotional experiences in various settings, but especially in anything based in myth and fairy tales. 

Beyond Nintendo stuff, one of those Nintendo chat friends was who actually introduced me to MUDs and that's really where I began doing much more roleplay, lightly at first in simple Diku and ROM-based muds before meeting boyfriend on another MUD and he showing me Achaea. The rest is history!

And @Tydas, there's a ton of good youtube videos up of today's E3 coverage if you want to take a look, but yeah, the whole title is basically named for the world, and is meant to be "open air" and you get to control what you're doing and where you're going basically from the very beginning. You do have objectives, of course, but it's a huge departure from the formula, and definitely very needed and looks to be amazing.
  • Neat! Pretty amazing how these games can affect/change lives.

As it probably was for many of you, I grew up when it wasn't cool to be a geek. Got bullied a lot. Role playing got made fun of as "faggot plays" and I was teased to no end.

These escapes helped me get through middle and high school.

And that, is pretty amazing.
    edited June 2016
    If anyone was curious, this video shows day 1 at E3 for Nintendo (complete coverage so it's almost eight hours long, so depending how much of a Zelda freak you are, you may want to just skim through, or you can be like me and watch the whole thing) without showing the trailer I posted above. They do some live play of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, and then the rest of it is dedicated to all sorts of Zelda coverage. Day 2 only did two Zelda segments (neither of which were anything new/different), and the rest covered a variety of 3DS games and Wii U games (started with Pokemon Go Q&A, moved on to a bunch of smaller titles - though the new Paper Mario looks pretty cool).

Seems Breath of the Wild was the most talked about game from E3 on social media too, by apparently a very big landslide! No surprise there though. Enjoy. :)

Edit: Just realized the livestream doesn't start right away. The actual beginning of anything other than music/the waiting screen is at 23 minutes exactly. I tried to change the link to go to that time directly, but it doesn't want to embed properly. Sorry about that!
  • The Zelda map is absolutely huge, too. This gifv starts out with something somewhat reasonable, then zooms out to show a MASSIVE map to explore. Some rumors say it's 360 square kilometers, but given Fallout 4 was 111, that seems a tad big. Still, it's much, much bigger than any Zelda game before now.
    To get a feel of the world and atmosphere, here's a timelapse gif of watching the world from a peak near the very beginning go from day, to night, to day again (this Zelda will have time, weather, and temp changes):

As for world size, something I take from one of the various websites online (Zelda Informer):

Loyal fans have crunched some numbers to see just how big Breath of the Wild's world could be. Keep in mind these are in no way official numbers, and are just fan interpretations and should be taken with a grain of salt.

• each square on the map translates to roughly 1 square kilometer (0.4 square miles) 
    • the E3 demo is in a section that appears to be about 2 km by roughly 1.5 km 
    • entire map appears to be roughly 360 square kilometers, or roughly 140 square miles 
    • this makes the map just slightly smaller than that of Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Pretty interesting stuff. Waiting six months or longer though... :(
  • Man Xenoblade Chronicles X had a massive + amazing world I hope BotW is as good :open_mouth:
    no mention of the Kanye game?

No idea what you're talking about, unfortunately. However, this has a pretty comprehensive list of everything covered at E3 (at all booths), including videos, articles, etc: http://www.ign.com/events/e3

About the best I can suggest to dig through.
    oh its here....

• Not going to lie, it looks gorgeous. However.... I have no idea what kind of game it is.
  • Szanthax said:
    oh its here....

well... I dunno if it is good or bad. There no gameplay to see atm.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
    I thought the little angel zooming was gameplay

• No battlefield 5 hype? Sheesh. 
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."