Tips for RPing as a newbie in Mhaldor.

Hi, I recently started playing again after a hiatus. I never played much before hand, but I did buy some lessons and my toon was never deleted. Anyways, I'm enjoying my time back. Exploring the lore and talking to people is pretty fun. The only problem I have is that well I don't know how to act to be honest. Mostly I ask questions or talk about my progress. I really want to get deeper into it, but I'm having troubles getting passed a kind of wall.

I made a kind of back story for my character. She always has grown up poor and envied the rich. After hearing about stories of Mhaldor on about the kind of power superiors had over slaves, she made her way over there. Arryne's goals are more personal. Her true end goal is to have major power, doing anything she can to rise up. I might change this depending on what you guys suggest. 

Comments

• Silence, slave.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited June 2016
    Best tips I have are: 

Treat every punishment as a challenge to work through it and show your best side. Often they are, so if it seems unfair and you rebel at that it's not going to end well. Even if they aren't, well you're not going to lose any points taking the high ground and following it through.

Know that while people may be criticising, belittling or insulting you IC, they probably don't even think badly of you OOC, it's RP, an act.

Get out there, do stuff. If you get told off, listen to what's said, apologise, and try something different next time. If you get punished, take it. The worst thing you can do is argue or fight against superiors.

If a Troni or similar 'not much above slave' rank tries to punish you and you think it's unfair, take it to their superiors. Odds are they're acting out of turn.

• Mhaldor right now has an incredibly small population. It can feel extremely difficult to meet people and have any interaction when the city at large doesn't speak much on CT, and slaves aren't allowed to. But don't shy away from using the clan made for slaves to use, or your House, if you have questions.

Having made a (somewhat) recent move to Mhaldor I can empathize with being unsure of how to go about things, but really most people have been super willing to help at least OOC if I've needed help with anything, and none have been overly rude IC (maybe a little stuffy, but that's kind of par for the course with the Mhaldor superiority act).

They don't happen a lot, but like @Ahmet said attend rituals, prayers, and other activities. Raid and defend when you're able (it's not really logical to expect everyone to be able to attend every single raid/defense). Wish I had more helpful things to offer, but occasionally I find myself in the same boat. If I weren't a Runewarden and didn't repair totems and rune people constantly I'd probably feel like I had minimal interaction also. :pensive:
  • edited June 2016
    Rituals and prayers and such do happen quite a bit, they're not that rare! Other than Targ with the scheduled prayers I'm pretty sure Mhaldor is the single city with most regular rituals/sermons/etc. We had the black mass today (which I was afk for, oops), and we had a sermon a few days ago, and there's some more coming soon.

The best way to get involved with Mhaldor at large is to get assigned a job of some sort. Whether it's as aide to a ministry (and that's why the houses require aide aspirantship), volunteering with something in your house, or  joining the VBC clan to do rituals and sermons, the basic idea is to always remember that just because you're a slave doesn't mean you can't be the one starting something. If you feel like you aren't getting much interaction, you can always plan something that'll encourage (or force, in t h e nicest way) people to interact with you.

Sailing is also a good way to meet people, since it basically confines you to a room with a group of people and they're all going to want to pass the time just as much inbetween sinking things. We haven't gone on as many sailing expeditions lately, but now that we have more people that can captain, it could happen more.

Mhaldor is really hard to get into if you're shy and usually expect other people to initiate contact, because the active people in Mhaldor are usually juggling a lot of stuff and won't necessarily approach you first. But it's pretty much never wrong to approach them yourself, instead.
  • Just depends what time you're around. I never actually seem to be around for when the rituals and stuff happen. Mhaldor's a strangely early in the day sort of city.
  • Yeah we used to be azndor timezone and now we're eurodor timezone for when stuff happens it seems.
  • Arryne said:
    The only problem I have is that well I don't know how to act to be honest. Mostly I ask questions or talk about my progress. I really want to get deeper into it, but I'm having troubles getting passed a kind of wall.
    Keep asking questions and keep progressing. Those times that you do ask questions (especially if you do it in person, and not over MCI or whathaveyou) and get your requirements checked are good times to dig a little deeper and establish a personal connection that can lead to more involved rp down the road.

Most Mhaldorians would enjoy having a novice come up and ask questions. Use titles and be respectful, unless you want to get in IC trouble (getting in trouble can be "fun" too, I suppose, but will have consequences).

Personally, I'm a bit hesitant to invest too much time into people that might disappear the next day (no offense intended @Arryne , you seem pretty consistent so far), so novices tend to get the "how fares your progress" treatment (to show interest, but without going too deep). It fits decently well with a "you need to grow in strength and understanding before you are useful" vibe, I think, but now that you mention it I do see how it might seem shallow.

Keep going, and you'll get more and more interesting interactions with time. If you show initiative, you'll likely get something back in response.

Backstory seems fine.

Kiet said:
    or  joining the VBC clan to do rituals and sermons
    Yes. Everyone please do this. Including novices.

Nataliia said:
    Just depends what time you're around. I never actually seem to be around for when the rituals and stuff happen. Mhaldor's a strangely early in the day sort of city.
    Join the VBC too, and make rituals and stuff happen during your strange times.
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited June 2016
    There are a lot of really good points here, but I don't really see this mentioned at all. Mhaldor is a factional city with a 60% combat and 40% roleplay mixture. I found Mhaldor to not be difficult to find roleplay in, however, I did notice if you are not happy or comfortable with your class in bashing/combat it might get old really, really quick. When you're new, switching classes is expensive especially if you embrace the class. Make a couple of test characters to try different classes out before settling on a character. A good class fit will become like a second identity to a new character. I think trying it out yourself, rather than asking is so much better because you have to realize that class is already someone else's identity. Don't force yourself to stay in a class if you're not comfortable.

Also, each class has a different flavor and will help out immensely with your roleplay. I find myself particularly biased towards serpent and priest as they both have a good mixture of roleplay/combat. 

Tldr: you might be coming to Mhaldor for rp, but you'll be caught up into combat quickly. Make sure you love the hell out of your class. 
  • I'd like to offer advice, @Arryne, but your problem does not seem clear:
    • Is it your difficulty to adapt to Mhaldor's caustic environment? (It can be harsh if you're coming from other ethos);
    • Is it an unclear construct of what your character's personality should be as a Mhaldorian? (In essence, how should I 'act' Evil);
    • Is it how your character's existing personality should fit into the greater idea of Mhaldor? (I am by nature a softy, how can I make this work in Mhaldor);
    • Or is it your own difficulty to engage in RP in Mhaldor? (I am shy in a reticent city, how can I engage people).
    Hit me up IC and we can discuss these things! A simple discussion most often leads to character development in itself.
  • I dunno, half the city doesn't even pretend to be involved in combat, it's fairly easy to avoid it when you have super active combatants to pick up the slack. The only exception would be certain mentors that shove their proteges into PK more forcefully than others :tongue:
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    @Arryne

Yea, really can't emphasize enough the "don't be afraid to initiate interactions" part enough.

As for a springboard, there are a few different approaches you can use, based on personal preference and playstyle -

Approach and ask a question, the more probing, the better, about an aspect of Mhaldorian culture - our history, our faith, a relic in the city, or a location (cathedral, museum, red square, etc)

Look at whoever you're talking to, pick an item out they're wearing that would seem to have obvious significance (a fair few of our soldiers wear medallions, brooches, other jewellery that relates to the Mhaldorian life), and ask a question about it - how did you get it, what is it, why is it significant.

Dont look at your requirements as a one-and-done list, look at those, too, as an opportunity for growth and interaction. Seek a superior's opinion on a particular task, "How would you suggest I", "What do  you think is the best way to".

And it's been said before, but I'll repeat it again for emphasis - yes, while you WILL be expected to be involved in combat to some degree in Mhaldor, we're also not unrealistic in those expectations. We're aware that pvp isn't everyone's cup of tea, and we're not trying to force people to play a game they don't want to.

Yes, Mhaldor IS remarkably stoic and reserved - but don't lose sight of one thing:

You're playing this game because you enjoy RP. The other people who play Mhaldorians are ALSO playing this RP game because they enjoy RP. Do not, at all, be afraid to extend yourself and reach out.

• Hey, thank you for tips. I'm really going to stick with it. I'm about to advance house rank, and hopefully I can actually get some more in depth roleplay. 

• The advice not to be offended when a person roleplays your Evil superior is good. Early on it's hard not to take their actions personally.
    Also, unless it's changed, don't use city chat while you're slave rank unless in an emergency, such as an enemy slithering around or something.

• Well everything haws been much better in the last few irl days. I actually got a very great glimpse on some backgrounds of some characters, and all I have to say is "Wow!". Hopefully this will keep on moving forward. :)
  • I always wanted to make a Mhaldorian but pvp seems kinda like a requirement and I just can't get into it. 
    I have 150 Lusternian credits that I'll trade over for Achaean ones. Let me know if you're interested!
  • Remember, if you make a Mhaldorian, don't have your own opinion. Especially when someone asks for said opinion.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tolan said:
    Remember, if you make a Mhaldorian, don't have your own opinion. Especially when someone asks for said opinion.
    Especially when your character is an anti-establishment malcontent who doesn't approve of certain superiors or their actions.

You -will- have a bad time.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Mishgul said:
    If you aren't willing to die kill everyone else around you for your opinion, you are a terrible bad guy.
    FTFY
  • Ahmet said:
    Mhaldor newbie protips:
    • Don't afk in the city
    • If someone is wrong, or you have a problem with something someone says, for the love of the garden take it up with them in tells. They're much less likely to behead you on the spot.
    • Don't be afraid to chat with people from other cities. Most Mhaldorian novices seem to lurk inside the city when they're not doing anything. Not everyone hates you for your city!
    • Attend rituals, they're great opportunities for RP and to meet more people.
    • Don't be afraid to approach people in-person. This typically opens up more roleplay opportunity, as long as you don't end up pestering them too much and getting fed to the piranhas.
    • Do your best to stay on the Tyrannus' (and your HL's) good side.
    • Don't be Ahmet.
    I'll put in my endorsement for @Ahmet's first point, not to AFK in the city. This was the beginning of the end for my time in Mhaldor. 

It's an easy mistake to make, but it really isn't as harmless as one might think! A few individuals attempted to RP with me towards the end, and my non-responsive behavior was not only boring, but turned them off to interacting with me in the future. This was a huge blow to my enjoyment 

I should add that the time I was struggling to find the time to login with everything I had going on IRL. To put it simply, it comes down to the quality of your time in the realms, not quantity! A productive hour each evening is more important than four where you move spend it moving rooms or cracking a chuckle every so often.

As @Kiet mentioned, getting involved in the city the best way to get started with RP. I was seeking out Ministers and basically creating tasks for myself beyond aide duties, they were just there to hold me to my word. Alas, you'll have to devise the rest from there. (Maybe seek out @Nocroth and find out whether or not the Sartai are still raising shrines, and offer your assistance when he is about?).

And with that, good luck! Mhaldor is awesome, it just takes some time to adjust to. 
  • I'm a mhaldorian newbie (as well as an Achaean newbie) and I second the "do stuff and talk to people" approach. 
    The rp here is juicy and good.
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    Eidra said:
    I'm a mhaldorian newbie (as well as an Achaean newbie) and I second the "do stuff and talk to people" approach. 
    You're going to make me miss being a Mhaldorian from all of the good things I hear about you!
  • Jeslyn said:
    Eidra said:
    I'm a mhaldorian newbie (as well as an Achaean newbie) and I second the "do stuff and talk to people" approach. 
    You're going to make me miss being a Mhaldorian from all of the good things I hear about you!
    I'm an equal opportunity rper!
  • All this is good advice. But you could just take my advice and do what I do... which is don't RP.
  • edited October 2016
    Talk to people. Ask to be involved. Be respectful to the chain of command and find out said chain! Just being willing to go with the flow and talking to people goes a long way! 

• edited October 2016
    Saeva said:
    Be respectful to the chain of command and find out said chain!
    You know, there are two ways to take this.

1) It's the chain you're going to be beaten with until you know who's in command.

2) It's a means of finding a loophole in your orders to rebel against the government and put Security people you like in power, because Nightwatch is an arm of the Political Office.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Sarathai said:
    Saeva said:
    Be respectful to the chain of command and find out said chain!
    You know, there are two ways to take this.

1) It's the chain you're going to be beaten with until you know who's in command.

2) It's a means of finding a loophole in your orders to rebel against the government and put Security people you like in power, because Nightwatch is an arm of the Political Office.
    More means... figure out how the ranks work and just let it happen! When you're Evil people just let you discipline them, you don't even have to ask. Grab them by the wrist and brand them.

• Hey guys, attempting to move to Mhaldor but i am unsure of how to get two Troni's 'Sponsorship' help!
  • Each and everyone person that sees this person reaching out and trying to spur activity, and this is your city, we are what decides whether or not Achaea has a future with dense new masses of players that require a pyramid effect to grow. If we don't help, then what the hell do we expect when we lose our guilds and houses, it happens, and its life. I don't ever want to come of as authorative. Im just really, your friend in Mhaldor that you know what, I wish I could give you my rank because it'd sure look good on you, and Id show you how a follower is every bit as in control as the leader, because if you are a first responder war drum pounder -backing your leader up who sometimes needs a reinforcement to spare him the lone yelling asshole- shtick. Hell, find me and make me log in. Im not good for much anymore but I'm trying to find a purpose to even be here. I wish I could be friends with someone new, because I don't have a reason to be here. Life is not worth being if nobody cares about you anymore. And damn would I care about anyone that says hello in a shrinking city. 

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.