Has educational level effected your gameplay?

Comments

• Odd question for someone that hasn't ever gone to college.

Uhh, so I guess it hasn't impacted me at all. I wish I had the time a college person had to spend on a game.

(I got a GED, but never had to show it and work as a senior systems engineer in a large company [I'm looking for programmers, especially those with linux admin experience])
  • I'm a dumbass and can't code to save my life.

Still have fun though.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    this thread

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • edited May 2016
    Kiet said:
    But in a world like Achaea that is inherently violent...

When you have a bunch of immortal adventurers with weird powers and abilities that denizens don't, many of whom can die literally fifty times in a row without any fear of death nor of the chance they won't get sent back by Thoth, coupled with the functionally inhuman ability to hunt and genocide denizens for twelve days straight if not much more (many such adventurers also do not eat or sleep, and apparently exist only to commit genocide on a daily basis) and an array of defensive and offensive powers that the denizens seem to at least demonstrate zero ability with, plus some many of them have the legendary credits that purchase artifacts, things a denizen could only dream of possessing...

Well, to cut a long story short, I personally don't have any problem with the RP idea of adventurers as (for all intents and purposes) semi-immortal demigods who murder each other, sometimes multiple times a day, purely for fun.

Just kind of commenting here on the violence aspect, linked with the inherent weirdness of players in the world of Achaea. To me, it sometimes seems odd that people will RP being like all the other denizens, when really, we're not.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited May 2016
    Finished high school, failed uni. Now working as a crime reporter. Criminals taught me how to deal with Mhaldors forum clique. Never take threats and insults personal. 
  • There is something to be said for shaking off insults and moving forward. There is also something to self-reflection. If ten people say your wrong and only you feel right, you might be stout of heart and strong of will, or you might be dead wrong. 

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited May 2016
    I'm a high school dropout, no college education, but that hasn't affected my gameplay per se. I've always had an interest in reading, I was reading the dictionary for fun around 6 years old, winning elementary school spelling bees, etc. Now I'm a freelance writer and project manager for a creative writing and translation company. Achaea helped me develop the skills for that sort of work, not any formal education.

The only drawback of a lack of formal education where my gameplay is concerned, is that I'm a terrible coder. I sometimes wish I'd taken programming classes, but some of the best coders I know are entirely self-taught, so meh.

This topic is sort of interesting because I asked @Sarapis a similar question a few weeks ago in a Podcast interview (which hasn't been published yet, spoiler alert). I asked him if his degree in political science influenced the early shaping of Achaea because of how much Achaea revolves around city-states and city politics, and he answered that while political science doesn't exactly involve those things, it is indicative of his interests at the time.

• EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    edited May 2016
    Aktillum said:
    I was reading the dictionary for fun around 6 years ago, winning elementary school spelling bees, etc.
    i'm glad you were winning elementary school spelling bees in your 20s

eta: how i saw it at first glance
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • edited May 2016
    Saeva said:
    There is something to be said for shaking off insults and moving forward. There is also something to self-reflection. If ten people say your wrong and only you feel right, you might be stout of heart and strong of will, or you might be dead wrong. 
    When nice people critisize me, I listen. 
  • Bleak said:
    Saeva said:
    There is something to be said for shaking off insults and moving forward. There is also something to self-reflection. If ten people say your wrong and only you feel right, you might be stout of heart and strong of will, or you might be dead wrong. 
    Only listening to criticism from people who are 'nice' to you is a pretty common self-defense mechanism that allows people to remain oblivious to their flaws. It stands to reason that most people who see/interact with your flaws are going to dislike you for them, and the general reaction to people you dislike is not being super nice to them. In this way, you basically tune out all criticism unless it comes from your friends/loved ones and if you need your friends/loved ones to self-reflect, you're essentially turning them more into parental figures than anything else. Most friends and loved ones prefer not to criticize, whether out of fear of hurting feelings or of hurting the relationship.

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Kiet said:
    Bleak said:
    Saeva said:
    Only listening to criticism from people who are 'nice' to you is a pretty common self-defense mechanism that allows people to remain oblivious to their flaws. It stands to reason that most people who see/interact with your flaws are going to dislike you for them, and the general reaction to people you dislike is not being super nice to them. In this way, you basically tune out all criticism unless it comes from your friends/loved ones and if you need your friends/loved ones to self-reflect, you're essentially turning them more into parental figures than anything else. Most friends and loved ones prefer not to criticize, whether out of fear of hurting feelings or of hurting the relationship.

When are people that don't like you going to give constructive criticism?  Mostly it's just " that guys an asshole"

• You can learn a ton from people that don't like you if you listen to the usual second part of the sentence! Ie: "that guy's an asshole because <reasons>", but most people stop listening after the first part.
  • Aegoth is an asshole because he's extremely charming, sexy, and a fantastic listener. I hate how he is such a good rolemodel for excellence, and has long been a leader in our community. Fucking jerk
    edited May 2016
    Heh.. I blame it on

• Aktillum said:
    I'm a high school dropout, no college education, but that hasn't affected my gameplay per se. I've always had an interest in reading, I was reading the dictionary for fun around 6 years old, winning elementary school spelling bees, etc. Now I'm a freelance writer and project manager for a creative writing and translation company. Achaea helped me develop the skills for that sort of work, not any formal education.

The only drawback of a lack of formal education where my gameplay is concerned, is that I'm a terrible coder. I sometimes wish I'd taken programming classes, but some of the best coders I know are entirely self-taught, so meh.

This topic is sort of interesting because I asked @Sarapis a similar question a few weeks ago in a Podcast interview (which hasn't been published yet, spoiler alert). I asked him if his degree in political science influenced the early shaping of Achaea because of how much Achaea revolves around city-states and city politics, and he answered that while political science doesn't exactly involve those things, it is indicative of his interests at the time.
    Some of the most brilliant people I know never went to college!
  • Someone I know not only never went to college, but also had to bribe his teachers $100 each to give him passing grades to graduate high school. He now makes over 100k a year working just 4 10s, every fri, sat and sun off. He would not be able to play this game though. Can't type at all or spell that well. 
  • Skarash said:
    I graduated with a bachelor's in international affairs with a concentration in history and business. Along the way I also picked up French and German and I have to say that my education has greatly affected my game play.  I've drawn very heavily on history, basing many of the ideas of Ashtan's Freedom era on a blend of Athenian and Spartan culture, with a fair sprinkling of nation-building ideas from modern America (hello Zarathustran Eagle).  The style and tone of the old Ashtan creed was lifted straight from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.  Many of my ideas in the order of Vastar (of which I was a member long ago) were heavily influenced by Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  My military philosophy was heavily influenced by Car,von Klauswitz's ideas as set out in Vom Kriege.  I learned to write public posts effectively from a business communications class. Right now, Im trying to construct a valid rp framework for my character from Lovecraft's writing - if I could just get enough giddyap. All in all my education's been pretty handy on Achaea.

I love me some Lovecraft.
  • http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGOEWdV13M  - Kall of Ktulu (instrumental) by Metallica pre commercialized and some of their better stuff
  • I have a couple of master's degrees. I don't know if my play style changed much as a result of that. I feel like things that I read about or films that I watch subtly change my character though. Sometimes, I want to try out an attitude that Nicia could easily adopt, for instance. I would say that getting a degree made me have less time for the game though because of my chosen career field. That did complicate some matters in roleplay and probably lead me to make decisions I might not have made otherwise. Leaving Mhaldor for instance. I don't think I would have done that, but the time constraints were enormous and there were some dozen or so people making me feel depressed every time I logged on.
  • It gave me more things to procrastinate upon by playing achaea.  Otherwise, I'd be too busy doing other things to play this.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Saeva said:
    I'm like a month late to this thread but if ten people say 'your wrong' then I'm probably right.
  • Kafziel said:
    Saeva said:
    I'm like a month late to this thread but if ten people say 'your wrong' then I'm probably right.
    Fair. You win this time :(

• Got an Honours degree in Molecular Biology then a Masters in Applied Statistics. I'd say the only way it has changed my game-play is that sitting down and reading/writing for extended periods of time don't frighten me any more. I have always been an avid reader of Fantasy things though so maybe education didnt change the reading part much, but definitely the writing part
  • Yes, now that I'm getting edumacated I'm not playing as much.
  • Yes, I am in my second year of med school in neurology, which explains Elsam's hard on for dissecting brains.
  • haha nerds
    Bear....arms...