Chronicles of Elyria

For some time now, I've wanted to design an MMO with characters that age and eventually die, similar to Achaea.
I'm attending Game Design school in Vancouver with that long-term goal in mind. But it looks like a certain studio had something similar in mind, and they've got a Kickstarteer up to get the game funded. I thought some of you might be intrigued.

A soul wandering after death. Seem familiar?

A marriage in the forest? Hmmm...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/description
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• Isn't this the game with the "PAY FOR A NEW LIFE" feature?  Like.  You could live for 10-12 months.  Odds are you're going to die.  A lot.  And lose 2(or more) days per death.  Odds are you'll ALSO get griefed by people a ton because (hello, they literally said griefing is possible but they've a bounty system to counteract it).

So you get this weird case of "GREAT IDEA" with "This is going to be a money scam and a train wreck".
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I feel like the game's going to toally die 11 months in when every starting character dies and people are like 'ehhhhhh i dont wanna start again'.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I can't see this game going to well. Most people avoid even "hardcore" pvp servers and those don't have permanent death. Throwing that on top with possible griefing is going to limit the player base.
  • Grieving people out of the game or out of house and home.  Whichever comes first. 

• I think this is very cool, fresh and innovative approach.
    I mean for years MMORPG makers promised lots and lots of brilliant features but never fullfilled their promises in the complete product.
    Now devs straight from the kickstarter promise that your character will be introduced to the grindy e-realistic upkeep, will be griefed and will die anyway (but they will never deliver these features as well?). I think they are onto something here.
  • They have permadeath but if you kill another player you get a bounty on your head. Basically the consequences of Achaea except you sort of lose your character. So you probably won't go killing without a good RP reason.

One of their features is that your character stays in-world while you're offline, so the AI manages your character to run your shop, defend you from attacks, etc. Since they're going for realism I don't think they're going to have a traditional "trade damage" combat system. I don't think outright killing someone will be easy if part of combat is automated. Definitely interested to see how it goes. They reached their goal and have some updates on the kickstarter page about other goals.

They're designing some pretty cool creatures for the game. :D
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.