Venoms App

UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
Hi all! I created this "app" to help teach myself serpent venoms (and their affs and cures), and thought I'd share it with you guys. So I bought a domain an appropriate domain name for it, and threw it on a server.

Check it out here:
Venoms App

Any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Stupid spelling/writing mistake is stupid! Sorry about that.

Obviously I meant to write:
    "So I bought an appropriate domain name for it, and threw it on a server."

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Seriously very cool. Honestly, venoms and cures are such an integral part of basic achaean combat knowledge that ire might host it for you.  
  • I love this, my only issue is I can't use it from my phone, which is where it seems natural and easy to play with it on.

On a mobile user agent I would make the ontouchend event show/dismiss the text.

Otherwise really well done.
    Aesi said:
    I love this, my only issue is I can't use it from my phone, which is where it seems natural and easy to play with it on.

Thanks :) It's supposed to work on phone as well. Works on my HTC Android with Chrome.

Nothing happens when you touch the elements? What device are you using?

I will look into your ontouchend suggestion.

• edited May 2016
    Utianima said:
    Aesi said:
    I love this, my only issue is I can't use it from my phone, which is where it seems natural and easy to play with it on.

Thanks :) It's supposed to work on phone as well. Works on my HTC Android with Chrome.

Nothing happens when you touch the elements? What device are you using?

I will look into your ontouchend suggestion.

iPhone 6+ on safari and yes nothing 

does not work in chrome either on IOS
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Common denominator = IOS.

Solution = replace IOS with a better alternative.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited May 2016
    yeah, tell my boss to buy me a droid. I've tried. He drank the apple juice.
    Assuming you are using jQuery: (At a guess, android probably maps touch events to mouse clicks)

$('#whatever').on({ 'touchend' : function(){ /* do something... */ } });

so to grab both, you could:

<pre><code>$(document).on('click touchstart', function () {

instead of 

<pre><code>$(document).click( function () {
  • edited May 2016
    Er. I see I put touchstart in the second when I meant end but whichever works
  • Utianima said:
    Hi all! I created this "app" to help teach myself serpent venoms (and their affs and cures), and thought I'd share it with you guys. So I bought a domain an appropriate domain name for it, and threw it on a server.

Check it out here:
    Venoms App

Ohey, you can actually host it for free on github pages. Just FYI!
    Catch me in-game and I'll walk you through it if you want  :3
  • This is wonderful, can I suggest adding what these venoms prevent happening/make happen to their opponent?

IE vernalius - afflicts weariness - stops fitness which cures Asthma etc?

Really good work!
    Ada said:
    Utianima said:

Check it out here:
    Venoms App

Oooh, good idea! Seems like I can only create one pages repository, and it'll be my username.github.io. I'd like to reserve that for something else. But I guess I can just have a subfolder for the app, and have it appear as username.github.io/venomsapp?

Aylek said:
    This is wonderful, can I suggest adding what these venoms prevent happening/make happen to their opponent?

IE vernalius - afflicts weariness - stops fitness which cures Asthma etc?

Really good work!

If you can help me compile a list of this, I'd be happy to implement it. If you know how to edit json (basically the object list in the app which has all the venoms and their data), you can get it from the source, or I can send it to you.

edited May 2016
    Updated!
    http://venomsapp.com/

Changelog:
    - Increased venom title heading size
    - (hopefully) Made it also clickable on iOS
    - When you click a description/afflictions/cures button, it will not reset the other buttons anymore

@Aesi I played around with the touchend event, but didn't get too far. So before I troubleshooted that any further, I converted it onclick functions instead. Hope this works for you on mobile now - please test.

• Utianima said:
    Ada said:
    Utianima said:

Check it out here:
    Venoms App

Oooh, good idea! Seems like I can only create one pages repository, and it'll be my username.github.io. I'd like to reserve that for something else. But I guess I can just have a subfolder for the app, and have it appear as username.github.io/venomsapp?
    I imagine the audience for this is fairly narrow, but it's worth noting here that users, organizations, and projects (i.e., repositories) each have their own github-pages. Project pages are delivered as subfolders on the user/org's domains (barring any custom domains), so username.github.io/venomsapp may be a reasonable URL to expect, but it's important to remember that these project pages are stored and managed in their respective repositories on their gh-pages branch, not within the user/orgs's own username.github.io repository.

https://help.github.com/articles/user-organization-and-project-pages/

• Utianima said:
    Updated!
    http://venomsapp.com/

Changelog:
    - Increased venom title heading size
    - (hopefully) Made it also clickable on iOS
    - When you click a description/afflictions/cures button, it will not reset the other buttons anymore

@Aesi I played around with the touchend event, but didn't get too far. So before I troubleshooted that any further, I converted it onclick functions instead. Hope this works for you on mobile now - please test.
    Functions proper on iPhone 6+, thank you
  • This is nice. I remember having an entire spiral binder and colour coded flashcards when I was learning venoms.
  • Post-it notes all around the monitor's edge :D
    It's back up again, but now hosted for free on github.

New link:
    https://robaxelsen.github.io/venomsapp/

• Awesome!! I'm looking forward to learning from this