Shrine Changes!

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4558 (05/17/2016 at 17:43)

To : Everyone

Subject: Some shrine changes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been monitoring the conflict surrounding shrines for quite some time now. After discussion, we've decided to make some general changes to facilitate a more engaging experience for both the aggressor and defender.

Firstly, only one person may DEFILE a shrine at a time now. There will be a short cooldown after each defile to prevent multiple people dropping a shrine very quickly. The balance of DEFILE (and SANCTIFY) has also been increased.

The second and larger change is that shrines may now be CONSECRATEd and DESECRATEd. A consecrated shrine may not be defiled until it is desecrated. Only members of the shrines order may CONSECRATE, and only people who are not in said order may DESECRATE. Both consecration and desecration take around one minute to complete during which time the initiator must be in the shrine's room. These are not channeled actions, so you may fight/cure/etc as necessary. If an order activates the WORLDBURN shrine power, all consecrations on said order's shrines will become dormant until the worldburn effect expires. You may only consecrate large shrines: anything smaller will need to be sanctified first.

The order shall receive a message (like with defiling) via the herald during desecration attempts. Consecration is also visible if you probe a shrine.

We hope that these changes shall allow orders to respond more frequently to shrines being attacked, as the window of opportunity to do so will now be much larger.

I'll also take this opportunity to mention that these will be the first of several changes to shrines to provide a more interesting system. Part of this will almost certainly involve there being a limitation on how many shrines each order can have at a time, as this will permit us to increase the relevance of said shrines. Therefore, it'd be a good time to start pondering which shrines you feel are most important to maintain for your orders, if you are one of those that currently possesses a lot of shrines.

Penned by My hand on the 24th of Miraman, in the year 713 AF.

Suggestions? Problems? Please discuss!

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Pardon the French.

F'n beautiful.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    It'll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited May 2016
    Derp.   

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Shouldn't we impose a limit on the number of shrines an Order can raise, given how potent they are offensively/defensively?

no. ; 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
    They did mention a limit on number of shrines is almost certainly incoming. 

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Sounds interesting, but I'm confused about the function of consecration and desecration entirely.

Yay for having to go and remove a bunch of shrines.  :p
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• This is a good change, I think. We already had pared down our shrine network to be more easily-defendable - so this makes everything that much better.

The change to one-person defiling is great. That will go a long way in increasing the longevity of the shrine from initial defilement to dust.

Only issue that I see, is if you're required to be in-room, then I assume leaving room immediately causes it to cancel. If that is the case, it makes the Gauntlet/AoE/LoS-throw abilities quite a bit more effective as shrine defense mechanisms than just walking into the room. While I don't think a "window" is needed (bc leaping out then back in inside the window doesn't sound good), maybe a way for allies to continue the duration of the desecration?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited May 2016
    Can you witness a desecration? How many writs will this open a single person up to for defiling? 
  • I'm loving these
  • I like.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Can we limit the Consecrate power to those who can erect, at least as a default for those orders without an active Divine?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Can we limit the Consecrate power to those who can erect, at least as a default for those orders without an active Divine?
    Why would it matter who consecrates a shrine?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    edited May 2016
    Atalkez said:
    Klendathu said:
    Because if you don't hold sufficient power to raise a shrine, should you have the power to consecrate?

Addendum:
    Could shrinesight also show which shrines are consecrated?
    Could the consecration / desecration be noted automatically in order logs?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Klendathu said:
    Atalkez said:
    Klendathu said:
    Because if you don't hold sufficient power to raise a shrine, should you have the power to consecrate?

Addendum:
    Could shrinesight also show which shrines are consecrated?
    Could the consecration / desecration be noted automatically in order logs?
    Yeah, that would just make it difficult to sanctify after a defiling. Shrine gets hit, you defend it, but you can't repair it until one of the few people with erect comes around. Don't see how that's desirable.

Addendums are good, though.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    Aesi said:
    Klendathu said:
    I think this just causes problems if you have members around but no consecrators.

I know if I managed to successfully defend a desecrated shrine with a team I'd want to get it re protected right then.

Creates a backlog of work and whining that it's not being done fast enough in my opinion
    So much this. Don't limit who can consecrate a shrine within an Order.

OK, good arguments. When the limit on shrines comes in, will consecrated shrines be able to be dismantled? (I've not tried to dismantle a consecrated shrine, so don't know if it's possible)

• Consecration has no effect on the dismantling of shrines.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited May 2016
    To desecrate your own god's shrines would be heresey.

typo

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Dude, great.

No more non coms defiling!
  • They'll still defile when they think nobody is online, I imagine.
  • Changes look nice.
  • These changes look fantastic. Very nice to see them to be implemented! 

• Create a system where if your Divine is inactive you can still gain rank through time/essence or something. If your Divine is active then maybe disable it so the Divine has control of ranks. It is stupid for a Divine to be gone for a hundred years and "come back" and the people who join the order that day are the same rank as the people who have been faithfully defending shrines, offering essence, and recruiting new people to the pre-order for the last hundred years. It doesn't seem like the Gods who come back after these long dormancies are run by the same players so they aren't going to remember that so-and-so was in the Order way back in the day and then promote them several ranks they would have earned while they were away. 
  • Havent they refused to touch this dozens of times already?
    I very much doubt something like that is going to be implemented. They have repeatedly said they don't interfere with God roles or God Orders. 

• if you aren't getting promoted because of a dormant god, you probably don't deserve to be promoted
  • With this addition, does it mean all current shrines are by default consecrated, or do we have to run around and consecrate existing shrines now?