Cyrene

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Hey, "We're Cyrenians and we stay out of things" is a perfectly legitimate form of roleplay.

In Mhaldor we have a group of people who think "We're Mhaldorian and should thus be jerks about things" which is arguably more harmful.

What are we talking about again? I lost track.
  • Looks like more rain today!
  • Aerek said:
    Daeir said:
    Bah, you don't get it. You can have a central theme that doesn't revolve around doing nothing. Like having the city cater towards craftsmen or artisans, or as a city of art, or something of that calibre. Isn't Hashan formed on the same value of neutrality as well?
    We don't get it? You're kidding, right? You're implying that Hashan is more cohesive and productive than Cyrene? I usually try to avoid sounding this dismissive, but do you actually play any characters in either of those cities, or are you just playing armchair analyst?

For a city with "nothing" as its ethos, Cyrene has the best sense of community and culture in this game. We have our problems, but we act more like a real city than Ashtan or Hashan ever has, and we don't have the crippling political conflicts that plagued Shallam. Mhaldor might beat us in cohesion and unity, but they do it with 4 like-minded houses and an oppressive regime. We have 4 diverse houses that could easily hate each other with a burning passion, but because of the substantial roleplay, culture, and loyalty to that "nothing" ethos, we all get along reasonably well.

I agreed with your principles at the start of your input, but now that you're trying to get into details, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    aahahahaha. Oh, man. So seriously, Aerek just kinda let you have it, but what it boils down to is that you really either love or hate Cyrene.
  • I would like to point out, that as far as I know, just because you are a memeber of a City does not mean you HAVE to do things, you CAN just be a resident in that City, you are not obligated to join a House or anything (except in Mhaldor I think).
  • sometimes it is possible for a city to be a place to live, and not a place that should define one's role in the world

• Well, now I see Aerek's point.

I realize that making Cyrene start doing things in a regular manner would be unnatural of it - but prodding it to do something every now and then is great.

Maybe I should take this into account next time I log in. Maybe the "Days of our Lives" Cyrene we have is alright.

It'd be a while before I can convince myself that though. :P

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Don't stand in Cyrene if you want me to interact with you. It's miles away from any universe spot, and it's a chore to get to Center Crossing where nobody does anything but stand. In addition, it's cold.

That's my input.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • edited December 2012
    Beya said:
    Don't stand in Cyrene if you want me to interact with you. It's miles away from any universe spot, and it's a chore to get to Center Crossing where nobody does anything but stand. In addition, it's cold.

That's my input.

We do much more than just stand in Centre Crossing. Like uhh. Uhm. Hmm.

Um.

what.

Okay. Centre crossing is still the bomb though.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited December 2012
    Tasleus said:
    Beya said:
    Don't stand in Cyrene if you want me to interact with you. It's miles away from any universe spot, and it's a chore to get to Center Crossing where nobody does anything but stand. In addition, it's cold.

That's my input.

We do much more than just stand in Centre Crossing. Like gossip.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Beya said:

That's my input.

Nim usually sits down. There is a bench there!

• Katzchen said:
    Tasleus said:
    Beya said:

That's my input.

We do much more than just stand in Centre Crossing. Like gossip.
    It's true. And also, shenanigans. and UnCyrenian Families!
  • Daklore said:
    UCF is in the clocktower, not Centre Crossing.

Centre Crossing is where Daklore works on his statue impersonation.
    Aaaaahahaaha, I'm such a horrible ambassadorial aide :P
  • If we're playing Uncyrenian Families at Centre Crossing, people really die. Get it right boys and girls!
  • Jamethiel said:
    If we're playing Uncyrenian Families at Centre Crossing, people really die. Get it right boys and girls!
    Hahahahaahahaha, the murderer is @Tanris! ALWAYS! xD
  • phaw!! back to what aerek was saying...ive been in and out of achaea, i had a cyrenian char before but let em dormant too long and had to start over.  sometimes its nice to be a bit laid back, though us wardens arent allowed too ...but even then, i can log in and i dont have to worry about being forced to " event here, you probably dont want to go out right now" or something else that would keep me from doing what i want, or focusing on what I want to accomplish.  That is the heart of Cyrene's theology/ethos, it's the player focus, not the binding rules or good/evil interplay that drives our city.  Besides, if we started interposing ourselves into the war effort, then us wardens would be runnin around all over the place, instead of developing the skills we need to steamroll anyone coming our way.  As a city of refuge, which was how we were revealed to Sapience, if you need a safe place to statue around for a bit, thats fine, but just dont be surprised if your poked....  on a side note, i learned that phaestus does not like to hear cookies on ct... that sucked, especially when i personally vowed, not aloud, that i would abstain from the sweet treats.  Now i just drink more,
  • edited January 2013
    Man, @Tasleus. I was the worst ambassador Cyrene ever saw..and even I know my games! :P step it up, bro.

That said, Idelisa's analogy is spot-on.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • edited January 2013
    Kyrra said:
    Because of the frustration and stagnation of my guild, I naturally leaned toward the city and wanted to involve myself with helping other people instead. Which is what I did. I was happy to forge, do tattoos and runes. I used to risk punishment every time @Xenomorph came to sit in the tunnels and wait to get runes. To this day, I still don't think the man truly understands why I idolized him as a Knight.

...instead of encouraging that, most people go out of their way to stamp out any sort of enthusiasm that I have. I still don't understand why. I'd have thought that most people would appreciate someone willing to volunteer their time to do something their enjoy, which benefits a city. Why have city projects that require citizen donations to complete, if you don't want people to donate? Why encourage people to donate commodities for the community, if they are going to get put down for making the effort?

I've never really had a problem with the city itself, it's more the attitude of the people that has shifted. ... I remember days when everyone was helpful and not just those looking out for their own interests. People in general used to be friendly, easily approachable and helpful. I guess those people are long dormant or something? Centre Crossing used to be a place of social interaction and people were actually in character, and things like daydreaming was pretty much unacceptable. Now it's a given.

My character is now somewhere she is actually wanted and gets to do all things she enjoys doing, and as a result, the person behind the keyboard enjoys logging into the game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Because quoting is messed up^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. So much this.
  • Finchy said:
    I'm not saying there aren't some legitimate things to improve or change. There's probably thousands, millions. I don't think that'll change here, I never found the forums did much more than serve as a brilliant place to discuss the metagame and display some things done right: RP, combat, and of course comedy.

I don't think the shift away from autoclass came about from anything to do with the forums. I don't think the best of what the gods do comes from the forums much either. Or the best bits you see from players. Doesn't mean it's wrong to discuss it, but I honestly think if you want to improve something the only way to do it is to just run with some ideas in game. They won't always work, but if I managed to be a senator then really, you have no excuse not to end up in a position where you have the authority to make some magic happen. You just need the drive.

That really depends on who's asking, who's listening, and who's allowed to contribute. Many of Achaea's changes happen in direct response to player feedback, and the forums are arguably the best place for it. (The forums also have a higher concentration of grown-the-beard types, but being more invested isn't a bad thing per se.)
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Finchy said:
    What do you know you don't even have a star. You've got like an @, what's that?

Forum phase. It means he is better than anyone except @. How on earth Tvistor managed double phase, I will never know.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Finchy said:
    Kyrra said:
    Finchy said:
    What do you know you don't even have a star. You've got like an @, what's that?

Forum phase. It means he is better than anyone except @.
    Tvistor is one of these?

AT-ATs always get owned though :P  But Artoo can even troll Yoda if he's in the mood...

This discussion has been closed.