High End Trophy Hunting - Instanced/Gold Sink.

Proposal for the creation of an instanced trophy hunting ground to help provide greater higher end hunting results without generating gold.

This is intended to appeal to the high end hunters and allow trophy hunting, while not encroaching upon the current hunting grounds and not filling the economy with more gold. Each tier of reward level would have a progressively more difficult creature to kill, meaning that the reward would be worth the cost and yet difficult to achieve (and providing a challenge for the highly artifacted). My vision is that these hunts require more that spamming a bashing macro, but that different tactics would help defeat the beast. I need some help coming up with ideas for rewards. I want this to be a massive gold sink, an amazing adventure, and so much more. (And to appeal to collectors and high end hunters).

Novice Hunters are level 50-60 (Once completed, this would be an honors line, much like bardic honors)

Journeyman Hunters would be 60-80

Blooded Hunters would be 80-98

Master Hunters would be Dragons.

A novice hunter could go to the cave, approach the guide and pay 70k to hunt. It would whisk him away to a special area and he would get to actually track and hunt a fierce beast (for level 50-60) and upon claiming victory he would get his reward.

My quickly brainstormed award tiers with price for license and then reward in parenthesis: *the tier with asterisk can be repeated indefinitely but only for those still in that level bracket.

It would have to be decided if everyone already past the bracket will be allowed to have 1 victory at the lower tiers in order to collect the unique pieces.

I would love to have an unique talisman that you can only gain by completing the Hunting Lodge hunts, so you have to complete all over them (maybe more than once) to gather the pieces for it and gain it’s benefit.

Novice - 70k (60 lessons), or *200k (Mayan Crown)

Journeyman - 100k (A trophy, like seamonster hunting.), 250k (Unique Hunter tattoo applied immediately by the NPC guide – perhaps this can get you discounts or claim from certain NPCS), or *500k (Random talisman worth between 50-100 credits).

Blooded - 400k (Trophy), 600k(New unique hunter tattoo for this level), 800k (Unique furniture befitting a Hunter), *1 mil(Random talisman worth between 100-200 credits).

Master - 1 mil (Unique Trophy), 2 mil( Unique Hunter tattoo), 4 mil (Unique Furniture), *6 mil (Random rare talisman).

Comments

• An example novice hunt: (lots of skipped fighting, please understand).

Grasping the rough rock ledge, you strain for a moment before pulling yourself over the edge with a final great effort. Pausing a moment to catch your breath, you are able to see a flickering white light deep within the cave you have just climbed into. Stepping resolutely forward, you eagerly descend the slightly sloped floor and continue to tread forward focused on the flickering light growing ever brighter. Just as you think you are about to reach the light, the cavern opens up suddenly to show a small selection of residences built into the rock wall. “Welcome to the Ynaarven Hunting Lodge,” whispers an elderly crone who seems to materialize out of one of the dim openings surrounding you. “Have you come to prove yourself as one of the greatest hunters? So many have come and so many have fallen, few have the strength to hunt these grounds and I must warn you to take all precautions before accepting a challenge. Read the walls, and if you insist on hunting here, young Aadviu will guide you through the rites”.

With that the woman slowly glides away, buckawn outfit and wrinkled brown skin helping her fade from sight. With a start, you realize that there is a mosaic along one wall. Stepping closer, you see depictions of great beasts taking on single warriors in epic battles. Small flowery script runs beneath the panels and seems to warn of the intelligence and skill of the creatures within the Ynaarven Hunting Lodge, only hunters of singular skill and focus can defeat their prey and win the rewards. Once someone has started the hunt, there is no way to backtrack or end the combat. Should the hunter be unsuccessful, their only rescue would be through embracing the trials of death and praying for the mercy of salvation. Only the hunter who is equipped and at maximum focus and well-being may apply to enter the Lodge, there will be no chance to resupply once the rite has begun.

As you finish going through the mosaic, you realize that another individual is waiting you patiently. Bright grey eyes regard you intently as the smaller man waits for your attention. Black sloppy hair threatens to cover his eyes and helps with the idea that he is young, but there is wisdom in those grey orbs and an aura of strength belies his thin frame. “Ah, I see you have come to prove your strength and seize glory by hunting at the Lodge.” A brief glance seems to pierce through your defenses as he sizes you up. “Well, at your current strength you will qualify to attempt for the title of Novice Hunter. Please see the following hunts that you may attempt.

Two small cards that resemble tarot cards lay on the table before you. One shows the image of a small lizardlike creature, and indicates the reward being 60 free lessons. The card has a price of 70 thousand golden coins. The second card has a depiction of a flying animal resembling a bat, and indicates the reward being an unbound Mayan crown. This rite requires a payment of 200 thousand golden coins.

Purchase Card 1 from Aadviu.

“Very well, to your glory or death it shall be.” Intones the hunter as he slides the card forward and begins chanting in an unknown tongue. A few seconds later and suddenly he throws a cloud of a crystalline dust into your face and there is an explosion of sound before the lights go out”

Out of the darkness, your mind suddenly explodes into action and a myriad mental images flow through your vision. A small Chincylth racing down a burrow with ears folded flat, sharp teeth showing when the animal comes across a rodent and immediately devours it. A small child hunkering beneath a rocky outcrop and trying hard not to cry, while a Chincylth clings to the side of the outcrop and sniffs the air with a hungry expression. An older man screaming in frustration while firing rapid arrows from his bow and watching the Chincylth dodge each and every strike. A hunting party dissolving into screams and hopelessness as the lizardlike creatures ambush from hidden places and tear tendons or destroy hamstring before using their agility to finish off the hunters.

A disorientating wrenching sensation seizes at your organs before there is a sudden popping sound and a rank breeze washes over you in the dark.

Impoverished Glade

Surrounded on all sides by either thick forest or rocky cliff walls, this small indention is sparsely filled by grass and other vegetation. The corpse of a raccoon lies here, attracting insects. There are exits leading south and west.

Probe corpse

Limp and broken, this corpse resembles a raccoon. Small bite and claw marks mar the body, with a large chunk missing where the intestines would be in a healthy animal. It appears that the limb bones have all been broken with great but blunted force. Blood pools from the creature and in the congealing liquid there appears a print resembling a small lizard’s footprint. A trail of similar prints head to the western side of the glade before fading away.

West

Thicker Woods

Wildly growing vegetation creates a thick underbrush and makes traversing the terrain difficult. Stunted trees grow towards each other with many branches intertwining and blocking paths forward. Small patches of sunlight make their way through the treetops to create fantastic shadows that change shape as a light wind moves the brush and trees. Constantly alert, a mottled green and brown Chincylth stands at attention here.

Probe Chincylth

Comprising of a large lizard body with four stumpy legs, the Chincylth has a very strong jaw that operates a long snout filled with sharpened teeth. Intelligent eyes and a sensitive nostril allow the Chincylth to track prey through a variety of ways. Course skin ranges in color through dark green and brown and provides a mottled version of camouflage.

With a sudden strike, the Chincylth darts forward and nips you on the leg. (+Stupidity)

DoubleWhirl at Chincylth

You bring a flail whirling around to smash into a Chincylth but miss

You smash into a Chincylth with a whirl flail to great effect

A small hiss precedes a Chincylth turning and vanishing into the underbrush. A few moments later and you know it is no longer present here.

East

(Impoverished Glade)

South

Crumbling Plateau

Very sparse vegetation lines this plateau, instead being coated with broken and crumbling red rocks. A sheer drop off a cliff edge discourages exploration on most sides. Small ravines provide easier traveling paths to the edge of the cliff or the upward reaches of the mountain on the other side of the open ground. Bleached bones dot the landscape, evidence of death and loss through the years. Gathering dust, a broken spear lies here discarded.

Probe Spear

Crafted from a foreign substance, this spear resonates with master craftsmanship. A dull blade recognizes the touch of time, but the body of the spear and its construction appear unfazed by the passage of years. Rough indentions indicate where a wielder might grip the spear properly. The shaft is broken immediately after the worn grip markers, make it more of a held item than a thrown weapon.

Get Spear

You pick up a broken spear, surprised at its heft and weight. After a moment of adjustment, you feel you could wield it for a short time.

In a surprising ambush, a Chincylth suddenly rushes into your line of sight as it races by you. A flare of pain erupts along your hamstring as vicious claws tear into your flesh. (+Hamstrung).

Whirl at Chincylth

Gathering momentum, you whirl a flail at a Chincylth only to watch it dance contemptuously out of the way.

A small hiss precedes a Chincylth turning and vanishing into the underbrush. A few moments later and you know it is no longer present here.

Secrets

You suspiciously peer around at your surroundings searching for secrets. You see an exit to the in.

In

Narrow Burrow

A small opening hidden in a rock ravine, this burrow is clearly the domain of small creatures as it begins to narrow extensively and soon becomes impassible. Animal tracks show this is a well-travelled route used by myriad creatures. Constantly alert, a mottled green and brown Chincylth stands at attention here.

With a sudden strike, the Chincylth darts forward and nips you on the leg. (+Clumsiness)

Wield Spear

Gripping a broken spear in one hand, you marvel again at how solid it feels. Due to the shattered haft, you can tell that this spear will not work if thrown.

Jab Chincylth with spear

With a sudden hunch, you lunge forward with the broken foreign spear and stab into the Chincylth with all of your might. The creature reacts with a massive explosive hiss and twists its head to grip the spear in massive jaws. You look on in horror and awe as the Chincylth is able to smash the spear into small pieces. As the animal eyes turn to lock on you, it is obvious that the Chincylth has been hampered by the remnants of the spear lodged in its side.

Rage evident in its eyes, a Chincylth executes a fantastic move and twists in on itself. The sudden action slows your response and you feel jaws grip your leg before closing with a mighty crunch (+Shattered Leg)

***Normal attacks work now, so can start bashing away and hoping you survive***

With a triumphant bellow, you bring a flail down on the head of a Chincylth and break through its defenses. A mighty snarl is suddenly cut off as the body goes limp and stops resisting the strength of your smash. Elation courses through your body as you realize you have won.

*Congratulations on defeating the Chincylth Challenge!

*You have become a Novice of the Ynaarven Hunting Lodge!

A small party of Ynaarven surround you in celebration and welcome you to the brotherhood. One particularly wise celebrant reaches out to touch your forehead and mutters a quick word.

*Congratulations, you have been gifted 60 lessons!

As you eat, drink, and are merry, your head grows heavy and your body slumps in exhaustion. Before you know it, you awake to find yourself back at the start of the mountain climb.

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    I like this concept. I think the rewards in the early levels  could be moved to coincide to what people now get for just bashing, and the later rewards ...I'm ok with... No real money value...

• Szanthax said:
    I like this concept. I think the rewards in the early levels  could be moved to coincide to what people now get for just bashing, and the later rewards ...I'm ok with... No real money value...

What do you mean by moved to coincide to what people now get just for bashing?
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I had posted about asking for trophy hunting grounds before. This is the idea I submitted. Certainly not as fleshed out as yours, but I prefer to leave the balancing to the admins because they know what's best for the type of game they're running, and what will or won't work.

Idea text:
          Add in a trophy hunting system for the mainland that offers no monetary gain. 
    Would be interesting to add archery as a feature to use in this system. The trophy 
    hunting would have a ranking system like fishing does for biggest fish catches. There 
    could be purchaseable items to mount trophies on. There could be other rewards like 
    using the hide from a hunted beast and handing it to a denizen to create temporary 
    goods that only the hunter may use so as not sell for gain. Anything from clothing, 
    housing decorations, or anything else you could think of. You could also add in 
    interesting artefacts, talisman sets, or promotional artefacts to go along with this 
    system, such as something that would be like the glass bottle that you can put sea 
    monsters in. Maybe a small glass case with a terrain that you can put miniatures of 
    the beasts inside. Maybe a limit of 5 beasts per case, or something like that, which 
    allows them to interact in the case with each other. It has a lot of potential for 
    many options that would be a fun new thing for hunters that offers desireable rewards,
     gold sinks, and no gain other than collecting items or bragging rights just for 
    themselves.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Goryllin said:

Szanthax said:

The level credit prized. Level 30 gives you this many credits.. but you must prove your worth in the hunting lodge first

• Szanthax said:
    Goryllin said:
    Szanthax said:

The level credit prized. Level 30 gives you this many credits.. but you must prove your worth in the hunting lodge first
    I dislike the idea of level credits being rewarded with working on the lodge @Szanthax, as that only punishes low-tier hunters and people playing with high-ping, on phones, etc. The Hunting Lodge is suppose to be a privileged reward that players opt into, not something that excludes those who can't.

@Goryllin would you be able to do it multiple times or would there be some sort of limit to attempting it repeatedly? Some of the rewards would be tweeked I think, but overall the idea of a non-gold payout would be nice and rewarding. Rather than tattoos, I would think a symbol of passage to a special lodge area to buy unique items (food, drinks, cigars, etc) with other special rewards would be better.

My Thoughts:
    I like the idea of having different challenges and objects to be achieved in order to defeat the beast. Personally I think I would like it modified so that there are stages to the hunt, and that you sacrifice the rewards of the lower hunt for a chance at a bigger prize. this would create stages where someone could learn specific challenges or goals for that challenge.

I'd also like some randomization to the stages. So lets say you can fight 3 monsters: basilisk, sphinx, and cockatrice (just example monsters). You start fighting the basilisk and stage one for it could be either: track to lair or set a trap. It would get away dropping a scale (for reward), or you could use the scale up (sacrifice the lower reward) to track it to either a swamp or a forest. If swamp, you get a special spear to stab it out of the water, but if forest you use vines to make a net and try to snare it. It would then get away again but lose a poison tooth. etc etc. Each of the 3 monsters would have their own set of options and which option is available to you is random (with some imput from you to alter the odds, although most of it would be random)

While my idea probably wouldn't be implemented (too much work making it for what you get) I think your suggestion is a good start.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
    my thinking is that if you are leveling to level 40 50 60 whatever... and you are getting these credit rewards, why not pass a little 'test' to get them...

• Szanthax said:
    my thinking is that if you are leveling to level 40 50 60 whatever... and you are getting these credit rewards, why not pass a little 'test' to get them...
    once again, that just punishes people who aren't any good at hunting or these challenges and need the lessons, especially since 40-60 right around when people decide to keep playing that character or even Achaea at all. All you would be doing is driving away the true newbs who couldn't pass your "test" while rewarding the alts and people who'd buy scripts and such
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Item prizes (cigars, drinks) I would want some sort of block on to stop people getting access, buying 50 and then selling them in shops. Maybe something like it decays 4x faster if not held.
    Yeah that's why I proposed in my idea that I submitted that any items received from trophy hunting should only be useable by the person who earned it. Definitely don't think there should be any advantages gained, there's enough gold in regular hunting, fishing, etc.

• I stopped reading your idea at 'add archery'.
    Tahquil said:
    I stopped reading your idea at 'add archery'.
    Um okay?

Dortheron said:
    Szanthax said:
    once again, that just punishes people who aren't any good at hunting or these challenges and need the lessons, especially since 40-60 right around when people decide to keep playing that character or even Achaea at all. All you would be doing is driving away the true newbs who couldn't pass your "test" while rewarding the alts and people who'd buy scripts and such
    good point. i was thinking the lower level ones would be simple enough for someone who just simply bashes would be able to complete... maybe enough easily enough complete and learn something to further their enjoyment in other categories.