Svo is going free & open-source

2»

Comments

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Aelios said:
    @Vadimuses is a hero among a lot of players, as I couldn't fight at all, or code to save my ass, without his expertise, system, and his help. 

That being said, @Makarios
    Uh... What are the chances we can have more 'svo-esque' stuff integrated into server-side curing? Open source and all, nudge nudge.
    Serverside transmute..please God, do it for the novices
  • More serverside stuff means more stress on the server.

Now that everyone who uses Mudlet can just use an open-sourced svo, putting more stuff on the server seems kind of counterproductive.

On the other hand, it would be really nice to see an svo-like system for the Nexus/HTML5 client to beef up its capabilities.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Tael said:
    More serverside stuff means more stress on the server.

Now that everyone who uses Mudlet can just use an open-sourced svo, putting more stuff on the server seems kind of counterproductive.

On the other hand, it would be really nice to see an svo-like system for the Nexus/HTML5 client to beef up its capabilities.
    Without vadi here, I don't really see anyone picking up the reigns well enough to maintain a solid copy of svo, though. It will end up outdated and everyone will switch to wys (which is currently getting updates). There will be a few people good enough at coding to do their own updates, but the majority of people will either have to befriend one of the elite and get updates from them, or switch to wys. I could be wrong, though. 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Austere it's also possible that they'll get merged in a sense, combining the best of both
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Svo already has serverside support built-in, though.
  • @Vadimuses out of curiosity, how goes the transition?
  • What's the ETA?
    One week from now, Svo will be taken off sale (8 August 2015). Two weeks after that (22 August 2015), another product, Svo 2, will be available in an open-source form and free. Later on, vadi-m and the old, old Nexus (not to be confused with the new Nexus client) system will be available.

Does that help?
  • I have to say, as someone who very rarely changed class or outfitted an alt with a full version of svo, I much prefer the frequent updates to things I know nothing about to making it open source. 

Thanks for all your work, Vadi.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Open SVO allows you to have a fantastic starting point though. 

I used Vadi Nexus, Vadi-M, and then eventually SVO. Vadi, thank you for a system that kept me alive longer than I could have kept myself alive on my own. 
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Thank you Vadimuses, I'm looking forward to uncovering the mysteries within Svo :)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Will the add-ons to svo on the site become free aswell?

• Yep they will be.
  • Can I still e-mail you once a year with something stupid?
  • Nope, and the email will be getting deleted after a few months to wipe all the contacts.
  • thanks for everything Vadi, you the man