What have you designed today?

Comments

• How would you not know who forged it? It's not like he found it lying around randomly!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Atalkez said:
    How would you not know who forged it? It's not like he found it lying around randomly!
    I think the point Trey's trying to make is how would anyone know just by looking at it that it's been made by Grandmaster Flash and Mellie Mel, and it's called Echo?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • In a world where we're all connected by a global telepathic network that allows us to instantly know a lot of information about one another, as well as having the ability to recognise the distinctive marks of each individual person when they create an item, and also the distinctive styles of each city (for the forging descriptors), I don't think it's that unreasonable that you'd be able to tell that just by looking at an item.
  • Antonius said:
    In a world where we're all connected by a global telepathic network that allows us to instantly know a lot of information about one another, as well as having the ability to recognise the distinctive marks of each individual person when they create an item, and also the distinctive styles of each city (for the forging descriptors), I don't think it's that unreasonable that you'd be able to tell that just by looking at an item.
    Given that anyone can forge in the style of a given city, I think it is. 

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Curious what people think about custom pets whose names are in their short description, considering you can see any adventurer's name without ever having met them, and most minipets with a visible name have sentience.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• I really like that. Clementius beat "has been" and similar out of my design vocab, but overall it's a grand effort. Cue me being even more bitter about missing my full plate deadline by a day, though :(

• Does it obscure your face in your room desc with it down, like masks? If not it totally should.

• Trey said:
    Does it obscure your face in your room desc with it down, like masks? If not it totally should.

Didn't even think about that, that's a great idea. Might look into if that would be possible and how much it would cost.
  • edited December 2015
    a silver helm with a swan crest

Fashioned from flawless silver, this helm gleams so brightly under light it might almost be mirrored. Classic in its design, the helm encloses the wearer's face entirely, leaving only narrow slits for seeing out of - though it features narrow vertical slits in the faceplate to facilitate breathing, keeping it from stifling a knight in heavy combat. Atop the forehead, a puissant swan with wings outstretched crowns the masterful piece, with a long black crest flowing out from just behind it. Longer than is common, the horse-hair plume has been dyed the colour of deepest midnight in stark contrast to the resplendent silver beneath it, giving the helm a sharp martial appearance, as effective a reminder of the knight's lethality as it is of the knight's sense of aesthetics.

It weighs about 5 pounds.

It bears the distinctive mark of Anedhel.

ETA: Annie's helmet! It'd be cool if it obscured features, agreed :O

• Dragon Description 

He is a Black Dragon, exuding an aura of ancient might, and wisdom. Large, 
    spiked obsidian wings extend from a thorned, and scaled back, showing an 
    impressive wingspan of 10 feet tip to tip. Sprouting from his hindquarters is a 
    large sinuous tail, extending out to a sharp curved thorn. Four limber, and 
    muscular limbs sprout from his underside, each ending in massive obsidian curved 
    talons. Several rows of small horns protrude from both sides of his face, 
    forming his massive jawline. Countless rows of sharp dagger-like teeth cover the 
    entirety of his mouth. Savage obsidian eyes sit tightly within his thorny, broad 
    skull. As the light gleams off his body, small scales of obsidian can be seen, 
    covering the entire body of this beast.

• Trey said:
    Does it obscure your face in your room desc with it down, like masks? If not it totally should.
    Unfortunately this is apparently not possible.
  • Since we're all posting headgear! This was a commission. 

a horned headdress of bleached bone and feathers

This exotic headdress is an amalgamation of bleached bone, feathers, fox fur, and 
    delicate gold chain. Two twisted horns are the obvious focal point as they protrude 
    from above each temple, curling outwards to the side in a sinuous twist. The 
    spiralled look to the horns make them resemble demon horns, the tips carved to a 
    razor sharpness and capped in gold. The base of the horns are fastened to a white 
    suede skullcap which fits snugly over the head, though offering enough room for the 
    bulk of the wearer's hair to be worn unfettered. Sticking up from the back of the 
    headdress like some strange bird, feathers of varying height run the gauntlet from 
    flawless white, to a pale golden umber, bristling at all angles in an unwieldy tangle.
    The whole of the skullcap is topped with a short nap of golden fur disrupted by a 
    taller, mohawk-like segment of white fur which spikes between the base of the horns.
    Hooked on each side of the headdress, a slender gold chain drops into an elongated V-
    shaped fringe, alternating with lines of small crystalline beads.
  • Antonius said:
    Trey said:
    Unfortunately this is apparently not possible.
    This is why we need the dislike button back.

• Sword is older, but the shield is done now too. Not my best work, but I hate stock gear so I had to get it done.

a rake's blade of meteoric steel

A flashy blade befitting a noble, this weapon is as much a fashionable accessory as it is a tool of war. The slender hand-and-a-half handle of Baarian blackwood  is encircled by a raised vine of silver, its twisted thorns providing several ridges for a secure grip. Set into either side of the regent-style pommel, twin pairs of fingernail-sized sapphires glint brilliantly, their azure forms like glittering eyes backed in silver. The argent cruciform hilt curves elegantly, the forward edge slightly downward while the back edge trails up. A ring-style guard circles once around before trailing up along the flat of the blade, terminating in a stylised triangular adder's head. Two and a half feet of razor-edged steel, the dark-hued blade bears a slight blue tinge that flashes inthe light, contrasting curiously with the flowing scrollwork etched along its entire length. Surprisingly light, it dances in its wielder's grip, perfect for drawing cuts and deadly thrusts.

a courtier's shield of enamel and steel

Meant for the lighter duties of skirmishes and courtly duels, this shield relies on its bearer's agility and wits to be in position to intercept blows. Covering the forearm from knuckles to elbow, the domed steel is perfectly circular, its embossed surface bearing a stylised warhawk with wings splayed to either side. 
    Laid into etched channels on the bird, silver filigree gleams brightly, picking out fine details in its fierce eyes and fluttering feathers. Glossy enamel of cobalt blue graces the indented spaces, throwing the polished metal of the falcon into sharp relief. While not particularly thick, its rolled steel edge provides a sturdy base to deliver forceful blows. A strap of sable leather and a thin handle are all that serve to ensure that the shield remains in its bearer's grasp.

• Apparently the admin hate trees!!! 

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Some commissions I just finished:

Lash

Short: a sinister lash of charred bone

Dropped: Coiled neatly, a cruel looking lash broods upon the ground.

Examined:

A length of noticeably humanoid bone has been appropriated for the handle of this lash, cut down to reasonable size and covered in soot. Strands of blackened leather criss-cross the handle, studded with small, pyramidal spikes, assuring a firm if but painful grip for the wielder. Capped in obsidian, a slender and sturdy blade of blackened steel protrudes from the end of the handle, offering the versatility of useful tool or cruel torture implement. The length of the lash has been comprised of, upon closer inspection, appears to be braided humanoid sinew, set at various lengths miniscule, barbed hooks.

Top Hat

Short: a black and violet suede top hat

Dropped: Gathering dust, a debonair looking top hat has been dropped here.

Examined:

Fine, black suede has been masterfully cut and shaped into this sophisticated looking piece of apparel. Velvet of the deepest violet has been measured and cut to line the inside, offering a comfortable wear. A small and intricately detailed pattern of escarbuncles have been cut into the black suede around the outer circumference of the hat, revealing a second layer of dark velvet underneath. A wide length of violet ribbon circles the hat just above the stiff brim, tucked into which is a solitary raven feather. 

Wings

Short: a pair of molted, black wings

Dropped: Loose feathers drifting in the breeze, a pair of molted wings flutters lifelessly here on the ground.

Examined:

Roughly six foot in expanse, black and crimson feathers coat the frame of these skeletal wings, bones revealed where significant plumage has been lost. Each ruffle and each breeze result is a slow and steady shedding of feather and fluff, raining softly down, where each feather catches fire and burns to ash before touching the ground. Shimmering lightly between the network of hinged bones and rotting feathers is a barely visible skein of magic, imbuing the device with longevity and holding it together. A set of obsidian, claw-like appendages protrude shortly from the expanse, looking eager to latch firmly onto a pair of shoulders. 

Shield

Short: an obsidian escarbuncle shield with bone accents

Dropped: Propped up nearby, a ominous looking shield gleams faintly, whispering to be reclaimed.

Examined:

Blackened steel has been hammered relentlessly into a large, circular parma shield, covered in soot and polished with ash. Set into the center of the shield, the boss has been carved of polished obsidian to resemble a face twisted in agony. Each movement of the shield sends light playing over the face, causing it to seemingly twist and contort into new expressions of pain and suffering. Eight long rods of carved bone splay evenly out from the face, runes engraved into the face and painted with blood, forming an escarbuncle. Along the rim of the shield, several evenly spaced notches have been cut into the thick steel, resembling a saw-blade and offering the utility of catching and twisting blades free from the grip of attackers. On the inside of the shield, then planks of ironwood have been formed to into the backing, offering reinforcement. Anchored into the wooden base is an obsidian handle, wrapped in leather, as well as an adjustable leather strap, offering a secure and dependable grip. 

Hood

Short: a feathered hood of black velvet

Dropped: Rustling lightly in the breeze, a soft hood of raven feathers has been cast aside here.

Examined:

A length of fine black velvet has been cut and meticulously stitched to make this hood, deep enough to securly conceal the visage of  the wearer. Numerous, shiny raven feathers have been carefully sewn into the material, layered to mimic the natural avian pattern. The ends to each side have been punctured and set with brass rings, through which run slender lengths of silver rope, allowing the hood to be sinched and tied to keep it secured comfortably.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Since I got to give Kythra her Logosmas gift today, I can finally share the design without potential spoilers! There's a story behind the design as well, but I was super happy with how it turned out and she loves it.

a glittering shark tooth choker

A glittering pile of shark teeth and silver chain has been misplaced nearby.

Comprised of a fine diamond chain of silver, this delicate choker is worn around the base of the throat. Hanging from the front of the chain are seven evenly spaced whitetip shark teeth, with the fourth being slightly larger to create a balanced focal point. Each tooth has been polished smooth against a setting of silver and has been overlaid with a shimmer of diamond dust, glittering with iridescent sparkles against the light. Hanging from the clasp of the choker is a tiny charm in the form of a crimson-eyed stormbird.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• a gnarled ebony darkbow strewn with silver dust

Several twisted strands of ebony are entwined around one another to form this crooked bow. Specks of diamond dust are strewn over the surface, glimmering like stars in the night sky. Hidden within the many dark hollows of the wood are tiny detailed carvings of nocturnal creatures winding their way among the boughs. A taut silver string glows with a faint eerie light and motes of glimmering dust float lazily in the surrounding air. Completing the exquisite piece of workmanship is a crescent moon grip, its curved surface carved with glowing silver runes.

an inky serpentine dirk

This curious weapon is long and sinuous, forged as one piece from a strange inky black metal so dark it absorbs the light around it. Engraved along the length of the blade is a series of cryptic runes that emit a pale glow, contrasting ominously against the darkness. Reminiscent of a serpent slithering along the ground, the edges of this blade are wavy and slightly asymmetric; its needle point sharp enough to penetrate the thickest of hides. A long strip of dark grey leather encircles the hilt, the supple material softening sharp angles and providing a sure grip.

Now just the lash to go. Really struggled with the dirk, seems like with forged weapons so many 'appearance' names are already forging names. Ah well... I'm okay with it in the end.

• First draft of a scabbard to go with my Blademaster sword (called Silver Phoenix):

Sword desc:

Forged from a rust-hued alloy of the finest steel and gold, this blade exhibits a sharp curve along its length, accentuated by a deep groove carved into the metal. The long tang is encased by a grip of blue snakeskin in an intricate braided pattern. Rounding off the grip is a round pommel fashioned from ruby, affording perfect balance to this masterfully crafted weapon.

APPEARANCE: a snakeskin scabbard with a silver phoenix throat
    DROPPED: A curving scabbard of blue snakeskin has been cast aside.
    EXAMINED: Long and curving sharply, this scabbard combines the finest materials and exquisite craftsmanship in a stunning work of art. Toughened snakeskin of a rich blue hue forms the lower half of the scabbard's body with an arrow-head tip of silver providing additional reinforcement. Tongues of flame wrought from pure silver engulf the majority of the upper half. Caught eternally in the process of being reborn, the head and shoulders/upper body/some better word of a silver phoenix erupt from within/the fire's depths/something that doesn't sound awful, each individual feather carved with meticulous care into the precious metal. Two small chips of ruby serve for the phoenix's eyes. Its beak, open in an endless cry, awaits the blade to be sheathed. (should the desc/last sentence change on draw/sheathe? would that work/be worth it with BM abilities?)

That's the general concept I'm working on, need to improve the wording in a couple of places. Also need a better word for the "shoulder" area on a bird (think upper upper half of the body), so open to suggestions.

• Breast, perhaps? Shoulder on a bird actually refers to certain feathers (back, top layer). Or sidestepping the body part entirely, maybe something like: "Tongues of flame wrought from pure silver engulf the majority of the upper half to [surround/ensconce/etc] an emerging silver phoenix, each individual feather and [twist of flame/dancing spark/etc/something to reference the fire to make this grammatically correct] carved with meticulous care into the precious metal to depict the creature caught in an eternal, fiery rebirth." (places the emphasis on the rebirth)
  • Trying to choose between -
    • a sunlight-infused blade of verdant steel
    • a graceful verdant-hued blade
    • a graceful verdant blade _____fill in the blank____
    Any ideas/preferences?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited February 2016
    Treehugger's Blade of Eternal Conquest.

top one

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Trying to choose between -
    Any ideas/preferences?
    I prefer the first one over the second one.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Trying to choose between -
    Any ideas/preferences?
    Shorter is better, IMHO

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Definitely, simpler more better.
  • I like the second one, and you can describe the sunlight-infused quality in the main description anyway!
  • I don't know how you suffuse a metal with sunshine. :/
  • edited February 2016
    Yea, how indeed?