The new houses and their role in the modern day Achaea

12346»

Comments

• I wouldn't say Mhaldor is the weaker side, they're solid  :tongue: Having friends/people you like in a city is definitely a must in anyone's books though.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Nono, they're not the weaker side now. But when I left them originally (before I joined Eleusis), I left them because they were the stronger side. I had friends to play with on the other side, though!

I joined Mhaldor now because ICly there was like a long line of events leading up to it.
  • Rangor said:
    Don't delete exterm. I haven't joined Mhaldor and tried it yet. :(
    You did do it to whole forests on Anarchaea  though. You said it was a lot of fun on some ooc clan so I took my Eleusian in to try but no one would stop and teach her because she was a nobody. And thus, I made Tahquil to do it (and only ever did 1 room).
  • BTT, from my own point of view and experience, I can honestly say that the Renaissance has been hard for the really old people (age category of @Cooper) who were used to classes and guilds defining their character's way of life and outlook on things. Taking away lore and history, the old guildhalls/House estates and most importantly, the FEELING of the old orgs is something that hurt. For me, it was a lot easier starting fresh with a character in an org, it gave me a feeling of attaching my character much stronger. Still, I have a lot of respect for people who make a hard turn or a switch with their chars to opposing factions (like @Aodfionn did a while ago or @Taraza more recently), and I think it's a rewarding experience, even if it means getting used to a new bunch of people to hang around.
  • Huh, this is a really interesting read.  It doesn't surprise me that people feel this way.  The problems with Houses were always structural.  Sweeping them away and replacing them with something that was structurally identical was only ever going to achieve something in the organisations where relationships were completely and utterly broken (cf Hashan).  All you've done (IMO) is replicate the problems and got rid of a lot of the depth that the old Houses had accumulated through their long history.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    That is what half the thread feels, yes.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I like this better than houses after auto class, though, that was a hot mess. I still PREFER guilds, but that has a lot to do with RP, and even though some of the guilds gave you such a stupid mess of requirements (looking at you, occies and knights!) I guess it'll always be a struggle with mass change. Honestly this is my favourite system so far of the three when I consider the cons and pros of it all, but it'll definitely take time, and time I'm willing to give them.
  • Guilds were a bit of a hot mess themselves. I wasn't druidy enough for the druids so after I failed my exam I was kicked from the class. I wasn't merchanty enough for the merchants so I had magi cut out of my life as well. :(
  • Tahquil said:
    Guilds were a bit of a hot mess themselves. I wasn't druidy enough for the druids so after I failed my exam I was kicked from the class. I wasn't merchanty enough for the merchants so I had magi cut out of my life as well. :(
    Not saying they weren't, and I do agree Autoclass was a great boon (having forestalls dominate the concoctions market was brutal), I guess from a perspective of just respecting RP I liked guilds, but houses felt like were guilds but a lot less intrinsic. I think this will be the best system but needs time.
  • edited December 2015
    I think I can sum up the idea here... Hitting delete on history just to solve structural problems wasn't the best move. But now there is a need to legitimize through establishing historical events (Involvement on all levels) for all the new things that have been created. It used to be that newer things were tied to older establishments so there was a since of continuity or at least that a puzzle piece should fit properly in a certain area (even if it didn't always work there that ideally it would fit there). Since what is lacking for many of the newer orgs is a relation to anything historical or legitimizing beyond "we said so tldr" What is needed is new stories and places that can give the epic feel of being tied back in to each of these new areas.

I'm not exactly sure how to do that with each org because I almost feel like your asking the Gods to custom make an entire story for each org (something that wont happen they don't have that kind of time). But I do understand the feelings and some of it might be a bit justified. The hard part is everything is so individual now it's a struggle to find consensus things that make a big enough difference to create these pieces of defining culture. #IhopeIjustmadesenseifnotsomeonetellme
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • edited December 2015
    Kakotas said:
    I think I can sum up the idea here... Hitting delete on history just to solve structural problems wasn't the best move. But now there is a need to legitimize through establishing historical events (Involvement on all levels) for all the new things that have been created. It used to be that newer things were tied to older establishments so there was a since of continuity or at least that a puzzle piece should fit properly in a certain area (even if it didn't always work there that ideally it would fit there). Since what is lacking for many of the newer orgs is a relation to anything historical or legitimizing beyond "we said so tldr" What is needed is new stories and places that can give the epic feel of being tied back in to each of these new areas.

I'm not exactly sure how to do that with each org because I almost feel like your asking the Gods to custom make an entire story for each org (something that wont happen they don't have that kind of time). But I do understand the feelings and some of it might be a bit justified. The hard part is everything is so individual now it's a struggle to find consensus things that make a big enough difference to create these pieces of defining culture. #IhopeIjustmadesenseifnotsomeonetellme
    Nothing stops people from custom-making their own story for the org (with a little godly assistance). We can't just ask for everything handed in a silver platter. I'm not sure how successful I was but I did try to anchor the Shield to the past and Cyrene's history in some way. That's where the thing with the Shield's House Hall already being a former barracks/ruin until Ainghael came to nom on everything came from. Hoping they take it and run away with it, really.
  • Kaden said:
    Kakotas said:

Nothing stops people from custom-making their own story for the org (with a little godly assistance). We can't just ask for everything handed in a silver platter. I'm not sure how successful I was but I did try to anchor the Shield to the past and Cyrene's history in some way. That's where the thing with the Shield's House Hall already being a former barracks/ruin until Ainghael came to nom on everything came from. Hoping they take it and run away with it, really.
    I love the shield... It's one of the ones that makes sense. I'm referring to a lot of the other houses that dont not necessarily a cyrenian problem but game wide.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Tahquil said:
    Guilds were a bit of a hot mess themselves. I wasn't druidy enough for the druids so after I failed my exam I was kicked from the class.
    Some guilds were "ganged up," too. Like if you didn't make it as a Sylvan, the Druids guild wouldn't accept you either. And vice versa.

I don't remember wtf that was all about anymore, it was so long ago -- but boy, was that some major suckage.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited December 2015

Kaden said:
    Kakotas said:

So much this (and a brilliant example @Kaden).

Nostalgia and structural worries aside, if Renaissance Houses fail or succeed, it will be (almost) entirely due to creativity (or lack thereof) of the players with characters in them, not because of admin. The guilds and greater of the old Houses didn't start off awesome. They became awesome and fun and engaging exactly because of the stories, time, and effort that many generations of characters put into them (with patron help).

If a lot of it feels disconnected from history, it is. It's your job to connect it. It's your job to make history. We're all getting blank canvases to build brand new orgs from the ground up with very loose guidelines from city patrons. This is an opportunity of a text lifetime. A fast (or slow) track to iconic character status. Do not fail. Anyone who comes after will remember you or forget you based on the contributions you make in these early days.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"