Seeking class help!

Hello. I am seeking a class that is ideal for me. I currently play an alchemist and I think I am all right at it, but I don't like that I don't have any cool skills outside of combat. Except drot Jr ocassionally saying rude things. Jester and Shaman appeal to me for puppetry/vodun, I think that skill is incredibly awesome.

What I need in a new class-- Something with some fun out of combat potential, although I don't want to sacrifice combat potential entirely. I love sparring and fighting. I need a class that benefits from my high constitution and average other stats (Dwarf miner). I also have trans riding, so a class that benefits heavily from that would also be great! Also, I am not willing to leave Mhaldor otherwise I would be occultist. Maybe @Xinna could help me bring occultists back to mhaldor. ;)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Please try to provide reasons with the class's skills, too. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Shaman would probably be a comfortable class for you, if you can code. Otherwise, i'd say apostate would be right up your alley
  • I can code well enough to make simple commands like I've done for alchemist. I don't know how to do more advanced things, though. Hmm. What about jester vs shaman? I like that both are fairly uncommon in Mhaldor, and both have a skill in common. I like that pranks isn't all combat based like curses. I don't really know what to think of spiritlore vs tarot though.

• edited December 2015
    Jester has a lot of useful out of combat stuff between puppetry and tarot (and even pranks, really). You can instantly travel all around the world, summon allies, travel to allies, graffiti the seven truths in the streets of targossas, etc.!

Shaman's not as good at out of combat stuff, but still has some useful things like travel to/summon allies with vodun. They can also rez allies, I believe.

Both of those classes are really good at duelling/sparring, too, and both have no stat requirements, so can (and usually should) focus entirely on con. Both benefit a lot from riding: jester for the dodginess, and shaman because they have limited mobility without it.
  • Excellent! I think it's a problem of deciding between the two. I like how jesters can hinder very well with some unique afflictions like the aeon tarot and hagedman. I think Jester seems like a ton of fun. Neither jester nor shaman really get kills in raids, do they? Both are about equal in hindering?
  • Jester's better at immediate hindering because of hangedman alone, but both have access to bind which is technically better, but requires fashions. Shaman can stick hindering affs better in theory though.

In raids, shaman's more likely to get some direct damage in because of judgement being an immediate line of sight attack and because tzantza's really good in melee. Jester's more of a support role in raids because the only direct damage you'll usually be doing will be star tarot. That's a 3 room range, which is good, but it's delayed and often people will be gone by the time your stars start landing. In melee jester's usually tossing hangedman or aeon, too.
  • Hmm. I like immediate hindering. I wanna get away? Here's some rope! I wouldn't mind a support role in raids. I could just leech @Aepas for xp anyway. ;) I think jester has a lot of really fun abilities as well. And I'm a dwarf. My jackinthbox is praxtically as big as me. And a handspringing dwarf I find probably too humorous..
  • I have a feeling @Drot is going to be a notorious class changeroo.

Serpent is a really fun class all around, between abilities that you can use both in and out of combat. That will always be a kind of flavor favorite for me
    Second on my list is probably Shaman/Druid. While we can't have druids in Mhaldor it sure was fun when we could. #druid4lyfe. Shaman has a pretty fun vibe going for it as well as plenty of things to do outside of just combat.

Jester might be pretty fun for you. With Aeon/Hangedman/universe/fool/lust they can be one of the most useful raid partners to have. While you won't be the one doing the main damage, you can single handedly turn the tide of battle if you use your skills right. If you want to try and steal a few kills you can spend some credits and buy an arty bow for some LOS. Other than that, like was said, Star tarot is going to be your main range. 

Jester will not always be the most efficient class against well prepared people or high tier combatants, but I think you could find plenty of fun in the class itself. Fighting as them is complex, but in a good way. Plenty to do to try and secure multiple types of kills.

I think you could find fun in either, but I think you'd have pretty fun as a jester. Take time to think it out before you jump class randomly though!
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited December 2015
    I disagree about jester not being the most efficient class vs good people. I think it's probably in the very top tier of 1v1 classes, and I think a lot of people agree.

Agree with the rest of the post though!
  • Jester. Just don't expect many kills in raids,

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Kiet said:
    I disagree about jester not being the most efficient class vs good people. I think it's probably in the very top tier of 1v1 classes, and I think a lot of people agree.

Agree with the rest of the post though!
    This could very much be the case, but I have not met that top %, and it's been a really long time since I've messed around with one. I remember most of their tactics allowing for some wiggle room to get out of, but like I said! Doubt I was up against that high tier. 
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • That's because there's been a dearth of people playing the class, though I think there are some that have multi-classed it at this point (Xer comes to mind)
  • Sobriquet said:
    Jester. Just don't expect many kills in raids,
    Pull a Naix and just jitb mid fight. NOTHING STOPS YOU
  • edited December 2015
    Aquil said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Jester. Just don't expect many kills in raids,
    Pull a Naix and just jitb mid fight. NOTHING STOPS YOU
    PROTIP: Me and Naix worked out that Deathstrike beats JITB by a few seconds. Remember that, Blademasters.

Edit: Used 'a few seconds' colloquially, DS is not actually that fast. Not sure how much faster it is, exactly.
  • XerXer Langley
    edited December 2015
    Two seconds. Deathstrike is the typical 10 second channeled instant kill, similar to Cleave and Behead in terms of prerequisites and conditions to finish. JITB has always been 12, but has far fewer restrictions on how to finish to compensate.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • edited December 2015

I'm a little late here and don't know if you already changed. Shaman may irritate you if you do not like coding. In combat, it has a very fast attack rate, and most good shaman fighters use a lot of coding/automation to control their attacks.

Jester's a lot more usable without that kind of coding. There are a few things coding is still helpful for, but it's not as much a necessity because there are other things you can do that don't rely on it. I also would agree with those who have said that Jester has a lot more fun, non-combat uses.

You might like serpent, but it tends to be lackluster in combat without an artifact dirk, and cannot specialize in constitution, so I think you'd prefer Jester. Jester does have a much different combat style than Alchemist though. It will somewhat depend on if you like the style. A lot of their strategies involve Death Tarot, a timed instakill that kills faster than most instakills and is stopped by fewer afflictions.

If you -haven't- chosen a class for sure yet and want more information, ask me IG. I'm pretty good at walking through the different fighting styles/strengths/weaknesses/etc.

• Alchemist is a good choice. You can con-spec, pretty tanky with petrifying formulation, alchemist robes and ringmail. You can use enhancement formulation to +2 cons (I love this). Sulphur and mercury defenses up your mana and health sip noticeably. Extispicy gives you extra crit chance. Totally a hunt machine.

It's fun, you don't have to buy food, no worry about hunger attacks. Imbibe nutritional and you're full.

Opens you up for extraction tradeskill too, Alchemist extracts more primes, that means you can be in business.

You have homunculus, leave it somewhere you can listen/talk to people in that room.

Combat wise, no one can tell you Alchemist is weak.

Alchie needs no arty.

If you need more information, ask me IG.
  • Alchemists primary (possibly only, I didn't really use it longer than I needed to determine it wasn't quite as good as Bard) issue for bashing is that Educe Iron is equilibrium based, but you need to trait Nimble for PvP, so you're forced into sacrificing bashing speed.
  • Dochitha said:
    Alchemist is a good choice. You can con-spec, pretty tanky with petrifying formulation, alchemist robes and ringmail. You can use enhancement formulation to +2 cons (I love this). Sulphur and mercury defenses up your mana and health sip noticeably. Extispicy gives you extra crit chance. Totally a hunt machine.

It's fun, you don't have to buy food, no worry about hunger attacks. Imbibe nutritional and you're full.

Opens you up for extraction tradeskill too, Alchemist extracts more primes, that means you can be in business.

You have homunculus, leave it somewhere you can listen/talk to people in that room.

Combat wise, no one can tell you Alchemist is weak.

Alchie needs no arty.

If you need more information, ask me IG.
    He was changing from alchemist!
  • He went shaman already anyway.