Gluten Free Pasta?

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
Just was wondering if anyone has any experience with cooking gluten free pasta. Every time I go to cook anything with gluten free pasta, doesn't matter how long I cook the noodles, they don't soften all the way. They come out still kinda stiff and taste half-cooked, even though regular pasta would have been well done by then. I haven't tried soaking prior to cooking, but may give that a try next time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I think it depends on the kind of pasta. I have no idea what type you're using. I'm mostly gluten free and I use corn pasta as an alternative for cooking. I boil the water with some salt and a tiny bit of oil, then throw the pasta is for 8 to 10 minutes. It's generally really well cooked by then. I only cook a cup at a time though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Have not found anything good. I use Rice noodles most of the time when i would have used pasta.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Rangor said:
    Have not found anything good. I use Rice noodles most of the time when i would have used pasta.
    you don't have gluten free grandiosa every day? What is this 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    Rangor said:
    Have not found anything good. I use Rice noodles most of the time when i would have used pasta.
    you don't have gluten free grandiosa every day? What is this 
    I eat healthy food.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    it's gluten free!

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I make gluten free rice noodles fairly often without issues...could it be the pasta shape? I find elbow noodles hold up just fine but I haven't tried spaghetti noodles.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Berenene said:
    Mishgul said:
    it's gluten free!
    Actually, new studies are showing that most gluten free options are actually less healthy for you than regular options.  Really, unless you're a sufferer of Coeliac disease, going gluten free is not really going to help with anything.
    A lot of people have genuine intolerances to gluten. While they don't suffer the same health risks that someone with Coeliac will, there is still IBS and a while range of digestion and intestinal issues that result from the body not being able to process gluten properly. I suppose it's a bit similar to an intolerance to lactose in that regard - it won't kill you if you have some but your body may suffer some as a result because it doesn't get processed as it should.

Lots of people love to jump on the GF bandwagon, and there's a lot of people that equally go around telling people they are full of crap for going gluten free because it has no impact on someone that doesn't need to avoid it. Unless you're familiar with someone's medical history (which isn't really anyone's business anyway), it shouldn't really matter what people decide to put in their mouth. Those with genuine health risks and issues are going to be seeking medical advice, and will be doing their research as a result regardless.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited October 2015
    I use shirataki style noodles. Usually you can find them in the 'health food' section. From my opinion they require a ton of rinsing and really excel in Asian dishes. The only way I've liked them in Italian style dishes is spaghetti carbonara.

They also have the benefit of being almost no carbs and extremely low in calories. If you look at that sort of thing.

• Anyone here read the rant against 'the food babe' and her gluten-free stuff? Link
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I have celiac disease so I've tried a lot of different gluten free pastas and breads. Gotta say 90-95% taste awful. For pasta (generally the rice/quinoa pseudopastas) if it's been sitting on a cupboard/shelf for too long it hardens to the point that no amount of cooking will help. I've just learned to deal with it tasting bad and being either too crunchy or too soft tbh.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Jeslyn said:
    Try Spaghetti squash, it makes beautiful gluten free pasta that actually tastes good
    I'll give that, and the rice noodles a try. Gf has celiac disease or whatever it's called, so I try to make sure what we cook she can eat so she doesn't have to cook a separate meal. Not gonna lie, those gluten free pasta are tasteless and do a number on my stomach.

• If I remember correctly, my madre prefers rice noodles when she makes g-free pasta. We should start a gluten free thread for all food though!

I'm debating trying it to help some underlying neurological issues I'm having
  • Kresslack said:
    Jeslyn said:
    Try Spaghetti squash, it makes beautiful gluten free pasta that actually tastes good
    I'll give that, and the rice noodles a try. Gf has celiac disease or whatever it's called, so I try to make sure what we cook she can eat so she doesn't have to cook a separate meal. Not gonna lie, those gluten free pasta are tasteless and do a number on my stomach.
    The spaghetti squash is sweet. Add some alfredo with cajun spices to it for a nice sweet/spicy mix.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    I've never had an issue with the elbow noodles, it's just those spiral ones. Second time I've used them and they never come out right. Guess I'll just stop using them. Still going to try the rice noodles and spaghetti squash, so thanks for the suggestions.

• GLUUTEN GLUTEN! I'LL GLUTEN YUR BEER WITH GLUTEN GOODNESS GLJTEN GLUTEN!!!!!!!! ARGH GLUTEN MYME TUMMY GLUTEN YARR GLUTEN BEER GLUTEN GLUTEN ARRRT
    Aegoth said:
    GLUUTEN GLUTEN! I'LL GLUTEN YUR BEER WITH GLUTEN GOODNESS GLJTEN GLUTEN!!!!!!!! ARGH GLUTEN MYME TUMMY GLUTEN YARR GLUTEN BEER GLUTEN GLUTEN ARRRT

• I.. I think he's having an adverse reaction.
  • Spaghetti squash is amazing.
  • Personally, I use rice-based noodles (spaghetti, rotini, angel hair, and flat pad thai-style noodles are what I use regularly) over corn-based because they tend to have a better texture, in my opinion. Corn-based noodles seem to be really chewy.

Also, I've used quinoa in place of noodles in some recipes, which has turned out well so far.

When I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I had to come to terms with the fact that bread and pasta were not going to taste as good. Like Kafziel said, 90-95% of things taste awful but sometimes you'll run across a brand that tastes somewhat decent/less terrible.

• If you guys want a kickass GF bread, I've had this recipe before with butter instead of shortening and it's very good. Hard to not like brioche.

https://betterbatter.org/brioche-sandwich-bread

• Kyrra said:
    Berenene said:
    Mishgul said:
    it's gluten free!
    Actually, new studies are showing that most gluten free options are actually less healthy for you than regular options.  Really, unless you're a sufferer of Coeliac disease, going gluten free is not really going to help with anything.
    A lot of people have genuine intolerances to gluten. While they don't suffer the same health risks that someone with Coeliac will, there is still IBS and a while range of digestion and intestinal issues that result from the body not being able to process gluten properly. I suppose it's a bit similar to an intolerance to lactose in that regard - it won't kill you if you have some but your body may suffer some as a result because it doesn't get processed as it should.

Lots of people love to jump on the GF bandwagon, and there's a lot of people that equally go around telling people they are full of crap for going gluten free because it has no impact on someone that doesn't need to avoid it. Unless you're familiar with someone's medical history (which isn't really anyone's business anyway), it shouldn't really matter what people decide to put in their mouth. Those with genuine health risks and issues are going to be seeking medical advice, and will be doing their research as a result regardless.
    America

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I tried these from Costco and they taste great. http://www.explore-asian.com/products/edamame-spaghetti.html

Only ingredient in this "pasta" is edamame soybeans
  • edited October 2015
    Relevant