What keeps you logging in?

LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
I really love this game, but recently when I log in, I just get overwhelmed or frustrated or lost or (insert bad feeling here). It may be related to the fact that I'm on my unitrans serpent who isn't able to do anything, and won't be unless I get 4-5 artefacts and finish up to tritrans. So I'm looking to be motivated to log in -- besides getting the 5 lessons from elite!

What sorts of things keep you logging in every hour/day/week?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Lothien said:
    I really love this game, but recently when I log in, I just get overwhelmed or frustrated or lost or (insert bad feeling here). It may be related to the fact that I'm on my unitrans serpent who isn't able to do anything, and won't be unless I get 4-5 artefacts and finish up to tritrans. So I'm looking to be motivated to log in -- besides getting the 5 lessons from elite!

Why would you need 4-5 arties? Serpent doesn't really need more than a dirk and some tanking, and a high level will compensate for the tanking. The dirk's only really 'necessary' at the top tier, and even then it's not that necessary. You can easily get away with just bi-trans probably (subterfuge + hypno), and single-trans at a more casual level will work just fine. Not to mention for things like city defense/raiding and non-combat related things you need even less (snipe is as much as you need for raiding).

Setting realistic goals is a good way to keep yourself motivated. You don't really 'need' as many things as you think, most of the time.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    In any case, I'd have quit long ago if I hadn't fallen into a collection of extremely talented and amazing people with vibrant characters that are an utter pleasure to interact with.

Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Basically Grove Hive.

:/
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Great friends, great Patron and Order, and a long list of goals keeps me busy, interested, and motivated.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    For a me its a mix of the setting and the people/characters I've come to know and enjoy interacting wtih. I don't consider myself too great a roleplayer, though, and it definitely takes me some time to get into the headspace of my character for almost all manners of interactions, but I find the way scenes and stories develop emote by emote to be fascinating, regardless of whether it is slice of life or something more dramatic or intense.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    Kiet said:
    Lothien said:

Why would you need 4-5 arties? Serpent doesn't really need more than a dirk and some tanking, and a high level will compensate for the tanking. The dirk's only really 'necessary' at the top tier, and even then it's not that necessary. You can easily get away with just bi-trans probably (subterfuge + hypno), and single-trans at a more casual level will work just fine. Not to mention for things like city defense/raiding and non-combat related things you need even less (snipe is as much as you need for raiding).

Setting realistic goals is a good way to keep yourself motivated. You don't really 'need' as many things as you think, most of the time.

True! I guess since my main class is sylvan and I'm used to having a lot of arties for it, going to unitrans serpent with just a level 1 bow is a lot less fun. And maybe that's what's causing my bleh feeling? I should probably try to be more content just learning about it, exploring it like I did when I first started, instead of trying to jump to tritrans artied mid-tier combat. :)

Thanks!

Also I miss @Yae:skull: 
  • AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited October 2015
    Enjoyment, people, a giant bucket list of goals - city aiding, house tasks, pre-Order stuff, personal, quests I want to do, things I want to design, finishing my house, etc. I never get bored because I have tons of things to do, all of which I enjoy, and I also enjoy the hell out of being lazy and hanging out with people, too. Hunting and fishing for stress relief. Usually if I am feeling like not logging in it's more because I'm in a bad mood in RL and I have trouble roleplaying and not letting it seep in.

If you're not feeling combat because it's not as fun without arties, try something besides combat! There is always stuff to do :)
  • I've quit and come back a couple of times now, but honestly it's the relationships I've developed over my span of Achaea that truly keep me coming back. Though that is just one thing on a list of reasons. I would love to finish my house, all the rooms, the designing, all the upgrades and furniture. I'd love to finally get Dragon (I've been in the 80's FAR too long) I'm a big advocate for roleplaying, and I like debating/arguing with people ( @Saeva over family name haha). I'd like to advance further in my house, and maybe my city...and probably eventually learn to really combat outside just a system. I am constantly in awe of the people that play this game, and I've surrounded myself with a great group of people that "Kondar" can truly call friends and family. Also RL family! My brother @Mephaos plays as well, so that's always fun.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
  • Multi-class. Alchemist hunting is decent, lesserform is interesting again. 

Combat. Alchemist suits Dochitha more than shaman. 

Mining. Lots of protecting and hoard management. 

Extracting. Got some private deals. 

Saving for Arties. This can be a 10 year goal!

Moving up HR. Badly need recognition!

PK. Trying to be scary. 

Multi-class again. When will I have enough to try serpent. 

Most importantly, friends and progress. 
  • Lothien said:
    Kiet said:
    Lothien said:

True! I guess since my main class is sylvan and I'm used to having a lot of arties for it, going to unitrans serpent with just a level 1 bow is a lot less fun. And maybe that's what's causing my bleh feeling? I should probably try to be more content just learning about it, exploring it like I did when I first started, instead of trying to jump to tritrans artied mid-tier combat. :)

Thanks!

Also I miss @Yae:skull: 
    You do not need a single arty for mid-tier serpent, so don't worry. There's been plenty of absolute top-tier serpents with no arties at all, and that was back when serps were a lot less powerful. Of course, the players were worse, too, but new serp should be able to get pretty far until it runs into untankable damage without any arties.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    A surprising lot of denizens at mere "extraordinarily strong" dish out untankable damage on un-artied Serp health.
  • 250 year old unranked sirens around minia 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    designing mostly these days
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Aodfionn said:
    In any case, I'd have quit long ago if I hadn't fallen into a collection of extremely talented and amazing people with vibrant characters that are an utter pleasure to interact with.

This largely. I enjoy a lot about Achaea but it has been the other players who draw me back especially some great Divine over the years like the current @Aurora who is absolutely amazing, the last @Phaestus and the circa 2010 Miramar were a great part of what kept me playing in the last few years of Shallam. @Pentharian and @Deucalion have been awesome (when we see them!)

Lots of other Divine and Demi gods over the years too from Clem to @Tectonand @Makarios who work hard behind the scenes. 

I am probably missing a few others as well.. I won't even start naming the players else I'll be here all day and night.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    How did I forget @Aurora. @Aurora. @Aurora. @Aurora. @Aurora

Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Having things to do. Lots of things to do.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Honestly, habit. That is my own fault really, I haven't tried to do much in the game for a while now. I just chat with a few people and stand around these days.
  • Daeir said:
    Pretty much all the people. I find Achaea mechanically wanting compared to other MUDs, and the lore whilst interesting, has sort of been plumbed to the point of exhaustion in the six or seven years I've been playing, at least from my limited perspective.

Plumbed or Blown up. I miss the depth that several of the orders that got blown up and they added some amazing stuff in Lore depth. Plus the few pockets of Lore left I'm not sure many people even understand the stories behind anymore. So exploration of Lore is kind of hard but that was one of the things that kept me logging in in shallam.

As it is I log in for friends that I have made over the years.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • RipRip
    edited October 2015
    Get drunk..go rob every citizen in every town...or at least try.  THEN..see what happens.  Oh and seeing my close friends which I love and hope to know for the rest of my real life.

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    The potential to create a story. Build your own setting. Make your own character. Make an impact or a memory for somebody. I love that magic.

I haven't been in Achaea recently because Mhaldor isn't really a good place for retirement, and I'm so stressed out over work and people at work lately that the last thing I want to do is get into more drama in game. I miss it a lot, though. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• edited October 2015
    I got a bunch of cool friends, mostly in Targ and Cyrene, but in some other places too. And, I can help people with lots of things, and that makes me want to come back each day. That, and I have the hope that someday Serenie will lay Baltas an egg. :-) Please, @Tecton ?
  • I will also say hope against hope that eventually with enough perseverence at least something will come of the legacies that were started by our groups even if it is just songs for the history books.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Because someone might be wrong...

And I'm determined to eventually beat @Dochitha in the arena.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I just like pretending to be an academic. There's a whole world filled with lore and secrets and stuff, I just just need to know it all. I don't really get being put off by artefact and skill transcendence woes, to be honest. To me combat seems comparable to strangling yourself from a doorknob with your belt: it's some people's thing, and I could probably think of stuff I would enjoy less, but I would be hard-pressed to do so if put on the spot.
  • I log in to keep in touch with a very few people, infact if they went dormant. I dunno what I'd do. I've been trying to join the same order for roughly 200 years. Still no go. I don't really interact on an indepth level with anyone. Gotten really used to being an outsider though, and for the most part it shows. 

• When I first came back @Ellodin promised that if I worked hard enough and long enough we'd eventually be able to fuse and form Mindshellodin so in the meantime I've been working on my requirements and learning how to spiritbomb.

It's pretty simple though, make friends and keep setting goals as long as you enjoy it.
  • Aodfionn said:
    This is relevant whatever city I've played in through the years (which is all of them, minus Eleusis now!) It's always been about the people. If I can find a decent group to mesh with, the rest of my motivation and drive falls into place, and things like leadership, progression, and so forth all keep me going. But in the end, it's always been about the people, both old friends and new, which is part of what kept me in Cyrene for so long. 

@Lothien, give yourself small, buildable goals to accomplish on a regular basis, whether it's hunting up the gold for more credits or using local lore to create a fun storyline. And if you haven't found the right people yet, try that too. Worse comes to worst, take a break - that always relights the fire in my belly and I come back refreshed.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man."