making the switch to mudlet

So! I'm an adoring user of the HTML5 client but lately I've noticed it lacks support for advanced scripting/packages/etc and not enough people use it to provide helpful feedback. At the urging of a few friends, I've been dabbling with Mudlet a bit .. but for some reason, I keep defaulting back to the familiar ease of the HTML5 client.

Mudlet is just so big and there's just so much .. plus I'm impatient and very finicky about my setup. I like windows and centered text boxes and highlighted phrases and large fonts. The web client is soooo much easier because I've already customised it to my liking and it's so beautifully compact and familiar.

I realize, however, that I'll probably need to get more and more comfortable with Mudlet because it just offers more in terms of extras. So I'm asking ya'll: what prompted you to make the switch to Mudlet? Was it difficult? What eased the transition? What client[s] had you used previously??
(XXXX): Peak says, "You worry me."

Comments

• I've used most clients out there. A few things make Mudlet nicer: the trigger/alias/timer/script interface (folders!), the mapper, regex and lua support. And the fact I tend to make/distribute stuff and help a lot with scripting, so whatever is popular means I can help out more.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Your questions: I made the jump from zmud to mudlet after it was released and vadi decided he was going to code a new curing system for it.  My initial thoughts of disgust at the new coding language soon turned to love after many long nights of frustration. The transition was eased greatly from public scripts.  Even now,  I frequently reference other people's work just to remember how to do things. Previously I had been using zmud for a few years, all the way back to the free version zugg offered (which was buggy). Before that, I think Achaea was using Java client, which is what I started with.  Still to this day can't figure out how people made targeting aliases with it, let alone auto sipping. The support was terrible. 

@Trevize has a very nice gui for mudlet.  I stole his chatbox. I also recommend searching for @Akaya's mudlet gui's, if you want a more personal setup, which is what I use for everything else. I also have one that is an option for my opponent tracking that is a simple version of mine. 

Install svof or wsys for starters.  Svo is probably going to have a more knowledge user base, while wsys is s lot easier to fix for a dabbler such as myself.  I recommend just picking one and sticking with it.  You can find support either way. 

Beyond that, if you can think of a script, there is probably someone with one out there somewhere.  The more generic the idea, the higher chance of some nice pic and play action.  @Klendathu and @Mosr are both common people I have used public scripts from, but I have examples of so many people's work, because so many have helped me over the years.  Nemutaur, Sohl, Jhui, Iocun, Phoenix(great gmcp tracker), the list goes on.  

If you come across something you can't figure out, just ask.  As much as people hate ooc clans, they really are an invaluable resource when it comes up scripting. 

If I remember, I will try to link some basic startup scripts that are public and I think everyone needs. 

•  + Mudlet appears to be very flexible when it comes to coding. Those with limited know-how can create highly customisable scripts and GUIs. For me personally, I had trouble remembering what character I was in and whether I was dragonform or lesser so I have a character portrait area that changes/reflects what I currently am (something I couldn't do on the HTML client).

+ There has been a few publically available curing systems, SVO and Wundersys are two which have had (in the past) phenomenal upkeep from their creators when new changes have been implemented.

There are a few threads on this tech section of people displaying their GUIs in both Mudlet and Mushclient and my personal opinion is that mudlet can look a hell of a lot neater and modern. I'd advised checking them out to see what can be down and see which tickles your fancy.

• Austere said:

@Trevize has a very nice gui for mudlet.  I stole his chatbox. I also recommend searching for @Akaya's mudlet gui's, if you want a more personal setup, which is what I use for everything else. I also have one that is an option for my opponent tracking that is a simple version of mine. 

Not to derail too badly, but I've redone chat capture and I plan to completely redo my GUI and put it out there soon enough. It's not as fancy as a lot of people's, but I like it! Here's the capture stuff if you're interested.

I use a settings for the colouring since GMCP sends it with ansi, and I didn't feel like parsing it. So I stripped it out and coloured it via settings.

It relies on mdata, link is in my sig for that.

settings: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=q5aBgBn5
    script: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=JcgDJKpd
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited October 2015
    Alcaro said:
    So! I'm an adoring user of the HTML5 client but lately I've noticed it lacks support for advanced scripting

I will say this: Lua isn't any more powerful than Javascript. It's easier to use as a general rule.

For teaching people, I prefer Lua, as it's more 'english friendly' - reading a simpler script it almost reads like english rather than a script. Even the complicated stuff, once you know what it's doing, it's about on the same level. Also, Lua has a much easier to grasp syntax for people new to scripting.

edit: And to restate what's been said before, more people here know Lua now, so there's that. Support plays a huge role if you're not already familiar with a language/client/etc.
  • I downloaded Zulah's full GUI last night and loved it. I just have to figure out how to add padding/move the text away from the border for readability purposes.
  • It can be difficult, if you've never used it before. I started out on the old Nexus client, and swapped to mudlet not too long after starting. I couldn't do shit with it, had no idea what I was doing.

The best advice I can give for learning it, is don't give up. Force yourself to use the client, and get used to it, and eventually you will learn. If you have any kind of coding knowledge at all, a lot of the basic premises of the system are easy to understand and work with. If you don't, then a bit of reading can easily give you what you need. It has great documentation on the website.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.

• Atalkez said:

The best advice I can give for learning it, is don't give up.
    But I want to give up so baaaad! It's so difficult and I feel like crying with frustration.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Alcaro said:

Atalkez said:

But I want to give up so baaaad! It's so difficult and I feel like crying with frustration.
    Post your issues and ask for help.  Best way to learn is to find someone more knowledgeable, that you can get along with, and that plays the same times,  and ask them.  
  • Also the mudlet clan, there are rare occasions where someone isn't around to help!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • If you ever need help @Alcaro ....I have helped many...I would be willing to give you a run down on mudlet.

• Alcaro said:

Atalkez said:

Been there regularly. In fact i still visit now and then. Fking tables.