Teaming aka Jumping aka Ganking...

Love you all but a few...

Really what's the deal with a TEAM vs 1 player these days, this was so FROWNED upon.   3 on 1, 5 on 1...I won't name names but seems like this place has turned to 10 vs. 10...and if you are alone it's 10 on 1 without care.... I am just asking?

When was jumping people accepted again?

Comments

• I feel like ganking is a lot less common these days. Only seems to happen when either:
    1) You have a good relic
    2) You act like a douche
    3) You repeatedly violate city laws

And of course everything goes in Annwyn and Underworld.
  • Rip's mindset comes from near the beginning of Achaea, when teaming was next to non-existent.

• Rip Cobra (male Atavian).
    He is 537 years old, having been born on the 4th of Valnuary, 156 years after the fall of the 
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He is ranked 268th in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is one of the near-permanent Infamous.
    He is considered to be approximately 110% of your might.
    He is a mentor and able to take on proteges.
    His motto: 'There never was a truth to be found ...'
    He has been divorced 3 times.
    See HONOURS DEEDS RIP to view his 3 special honours.

Just saying!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • RipRip
    edited September 2015
    I realize that, Theft is my only profession...but like 3/4 on one guy??  It's like I just stop, take my fingers from the key and let them kill me...cuz there is no point.  

This type of combat was SO frowned upon I am just wondering what makes it acceptable again...?

It's it the word "raiding"??

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I know you are far older than me as a player, but teaming has been relatively common ever since I started playing.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    People want a quick, nearly-guaranteed kill. The fact that you can run almost indefinitely from 1v1 without any real effort means that people are gonna jump the shit out of you so that you can't run.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited September 2015
    Rip said:
    I realize that, Theft is my only profession...but like 3/4 on one guy??  It's like I just stop, take my fingers from the key and let them kill me...cuz there is no point.  

This type of combat was SO frowned upon I am just wondering what makes it acceptable again...?

It's it the word "raiding"??
    Well not to mention you have a habit of stealing from new players of a city.

Tends to get frowned on!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Cooper. Thanks man...Thought I lost my mind...We were so against teaming people...what happened?...More that 8 people showed up on the "who list"...

• @Atalkez -The only people to steal from is new or very old...it's not my fault!  It's the way Achaea is geared.

• @Jonathin - Yeah I get it...run away and live another day but having 5 people gunning for someone seems a bit...excessive?   Maybe it's just me...I am quite the loner on Achaea these days, but when I was a kid 3 on 1 was like...vomit level.  Kind of embarrassing to have 3 on 1...Now don't get me wrong I go snipe @Jhui (miss each time mind you) surrounded be 5 of his pals and yes they all attack me and BEHOLD they kill me, but what happened?  Is it the city raiding?  I am just confused...

• RipRip
    edited September 2015
    @Shirszae - Yeah I guess I just need to gather my friends and gank some people...Forget about the old days of teaming 1 person (That's Shallam for everyone reading this) and understand that's the norm these days...get a bunch of your buds to kill people.  Fair enough.

• Wow this is such. Aggressive Passive.  Story not told so why? We don't know. Just vague guessing!
  • @Tahquil - You are right it's Aggressive and Passive.  It's my bad, for evening talking on the forums...I just remember a different time and better combat moments...moments that I remember. --

----> Well when I was around it was cool if there were 5 other people about...now there is 190+ on any given day and it seems to me that attacking ANYONE in a group is acceptable...I don't know...I run alone most times and I deal with entire cites on my ass.  It's fine...really it just makes me laugh to have 3 people attacking me.

A. I have not been upsetting, mean or rude in my forum post.

B. I realize I have robbed most of you reading this.

C. I am just wondering why people gang these days - @Amaru post was excellent...

Don't mind me...I will go back to robbing the new and old.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited September 2015
    Honestly, I think you answered your own question. Regardless of how 'geared' Achaea might be for it, you are going to annoy the most people when you rob someone who just barely qualifies to be robbed. At that point, you sort of walk into a sort of fussy papa wolf/mama bear instinct people have regarding newbies in their house/city, and it becomes less about fighting you fairly or even fighting you at all and more about just having you dead. Presenting your severed head to the novice in question might or might not follow.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited September 2015
    @Rip : It's alright to vent on forums and ask questions. However given that none of us have or will have the full story of what has occurred told from both parties we can't concisely tell you why you happened to be jumped. I just responded in the thread in a disjointed way you like you had started.

-You may have stolen from a newb and they gankers want to teach you a lesson from stealing from their newbs.
    -You may have stolen from a person and their family decided to deliver punishment on their behalf.
    -You may have stolen from an elderly, but well connected/favourited personality.
    -The gankers may have heard about something about you on a OOC clan and decided to bring it with IG vengeance.
    -Maybe they just don't like your face.
    -Maybe they are just a bunch of cunts.

Anything anyone says here is just going to be conjecture drawn from whatever you have said and the perceived tone you have said it. The only real answer you'll find will be if you ask the people themselves why they attacked you. So that is where I would start with your questions, not a thread of people uninvolved.
  • There's also the fact that the most active and prolific thief around right now is Dajio. In fact he's literally the only other thief I can name. I do believe that this has almost singlehandedly turned the default reaction to thieves from "meh, it's just stuff" to KILL IT WITH FIRE! HOW MUCH FIRE? ALL THE FIRE!
  • @Rip stole the other day from me because i was just standing at a stronghold without paying attention

I took it like a man..(he even only stole some of my gold, not all)

The best way a newbie can learn about stealing is getting stole from, and really..how much gold could a newbie really have accumulated?

To capture a thief i would say more than one guy is needed...getting more than 3 to do it ,is overkill in my opinion.

Thievery is a profession , its an fine art..we should appreciate a good thief i believe

Anything is fair game here..Stock your valuables somewhere safe and use sigils

• Hmm.. I don't think a newb would really accumulate that much gold. Which makes it even more devastating for them. It's the difference between taking $5 from a millionaire and $5 from a homeless man.
  • edited September 2015
    I think pickpocketing provides a ton of opportunities for RP, not to mention @Gamden 's point about showing the importance of anti-theft. 
    Sure, it sucks to lose 5000 gold when you only have 7000 as a newbie. But it just proves to be that much more impactful. 

I still remember when Dairon was a newbie and Tenebrus ran off with most of my money and items, including a journal that I worked very hard on. It was extremely frustrating and exciting to try to hunt him down (not that I knew much other than bite camus x 10) and get back at least a few of my possessions. It was a pretty goddamn huge impression that'll be hard to forget. 

Being stolen from pretty much FORCES you to interact with someone on a RP level - it just simply proves to be interesting and makes interesting plot lines. A newbie would have to talk with city/house mates about not being stolen from, learn about hiring a mark or ask someone to take revenge on the thief, and/or discuss terms of negotiation with the thief regarding stolen items. I know Rip to be a pretty reasonable character. If you were stolen from him, try to negotiate a deal. 

I find it a pity that people can only really think of two names when it comes to thieves. Stealing used to be such a big part of Achaea (of course, not all of it was good) and was a constant source of player interaction and excitement for me as a newcomer. Maybe the 5-10 man ganks (and perpetual hatred, instead of playing it out as RP) on a single thief are causing so many potential thieves to simply say, "fuck it, it ain't worth it".

TLDR; It sucks to get stolen, but it's a good lesson learned. Being stolen from is a huge impression (good thing). Thieves are often willing to negotiate. 3+ man ganks aren't appropriate when it comes to retribution. Find a better way - there are tons. 

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    So hold on ...

@RIP, let me get this straight.

You are complaining because players finally got smart enough to realize, that they can make the game just as awful for you, as you make it for them?

You prey on the helpless and then complain about others taking steps to make you feel helpless?

Sorry @Rip, you become known by your actions, and your actions have had repercussions. I know it's irritating to you as a player, but in game, it's called justice!
  • @Athelas, nono...I am just wondering when 3 on 1, 5 on 1 became the norm.  It's not about theft at all.  (I get it...I seriously hate being robbed, drives me nuts but that's not what I am talking about...)

When did squad ganking happen?  I don't know, I am just wondering, not complaining at all, just curious to when and why it happened.

• Rip said:
    @Athelas, nono...I am just wondering when 3 on 1, 5 on 1 became the norm.  It's not about theft at all.  (I get it...I seriously hate being robbed, drives me nuts but that's not what I am talking about...)

When did squad ganking happen?  I don't know, I am just wondering, not complaining at all, just curious to when and why it happened.
    I started 11 years ago and this has always been the case. My Naga would repeatedly get groups after him for theft, simply because theft was so frowned upon.
    Funny, because Sobriquet was a Mark and spent lvl 80-99 in Annwyn / Underworld and i can count the times I was teamed on one hand.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • @Sobriquet, Yeah I guess...robbing people probably isn't winning us any points.

So it's stealing then?  

• @Rip

I really enjoyed playing my Naga, but found theft usually had 3 outcomes

1 - You'd be teamed to hell and back by the citymates, repeatedly
    2 - You'd be issued
    3 - You'd be sworm at and snubbed.

Last time I spent anytime on my Naga I spied on someone mudsexing and blackmailed them (Got issued for Alt abuse) and attempted to steal from a city shop (Got issued for alt abuse) all within 24hrs of each other. Pretty much gave up on him there and then.

Theft has also been a very emotive issue in Achaea and very rarely did it bring anything RP wise for me with the victim. It did, however, serve as very good RP in Mhaldor. Catch-22 situation really.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • @Sobriquet, THAT WAS YOU!!! Hahahahahahah....

As far as Theft and friendship, I have met many people by robbing them.  but you are right...Teamed to Hell!  Ok ok, that is alright I don't mind as long as there is a reason for it.

-- I am generally a nice person and if people REALLY are broken over it I give them back their stuff...I returned a juicy 50k to an Ashtani AND I generally don't put gold in a container just so the city can kill me and I will drop it.  (Like today, robbed 15k from an Ashtani and ((I counted 3)) Ashtani showed up to kill me and I dropped the gold.

For me it's about infamy level...I love being Near-Perm Infamous...

Thank you all, this has been informative...I am getting teamed for theft.  Fair enough!

• BronislavBronislav Maryland
    edited September 2015
    The only times I'd round up an actual gank squad of that magnitude are when someone has annoyed me just enough that the time for being a stand-up guy has passed, city defense, or sailing.

Bron goes after thieves because, primarily, those are the ones that prey on young Cyrenians - but, especially since he began pursuing knighthood, backstabbing and sudden death have gone from the go-to method to a method of last resort. Gank squads were never on the table, however - and they shouldn't be, when you're willing to make a duel out of it. :smile: 

• @Bronislav, you are a stand up character and I respect, admire and "deal" with you.  You are rocking my friend! - Never had you had a gank squad, you have always been 1 on 1 with me.  True serpent mentally.

• @Daeir, Yeah theft has been polished to a nub.  I only rob people cuz it pisses off people like @Bronislav!

The only people to rob are new ones that are ranked or people waking up from sleep...both of which I have become very good at finding.  Wish there was another option. ( I did rob @Dunn and @Jhui the other day...but they have crap like letters)

I am just glad to know theft is granting me, City vs Rip.  It makes sense, I guess I don't understand how it effects people, only myself.

• Uhm. Even back in just Shallam/Ashtan days 'teaming' happened and people complained about it. It was more frowned upon than now, but it's nothing new.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.