Drugs are bad, mmkay?

SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
Seeing Arditi's post made me wonder... I know a few people who do actually get on the gleam thing, but how does the drug use impact your character and their behaviour? Do you just take them to see the funny drug messages, or have you actually allowed your character to make extremely ill-advised decisions  (that you as a player know would screw your own character over) while totally coked up? If so, I'm curious to know what sort of things you've done as a result.

Comments

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    I was fairly sure this post was about @Cain. Was disappointed.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I'm not going to rake over old rocks, but there was a rather unpleasant situation Klendathu had to get in the middle of due to drug use. Those involved know who they are. No winners.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • @Klendathu "Winners don't do drugs!" -PSA of nearly every 90s arcade games

• I usually murder Kortoxian whenever I come across him. Does that count?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Sarathai said:
    I usually murder Kortoxian whenever I come across him. Does that count?
    Me too. Kill that fucker dead.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited August 2015
    Adaele is addicted to gleam and still occasionally wants it especially when deeply depressed.  She acts a bit more er.. free spirited when drugged up and perhaps a bit too giggly amongst other things. Has trouble walking by the doc without wanting to buy. 
  • Sarathai said:
    I usually murder Kortoxian whenever I come across him. Does that count?
    You're one of Achaea's greatest monsters.

• So all that "For a good time, MSG SKYE" graffiti was you ALL ALONG?
  • I've had Morro try cactus weed, gleam, bliss, snowblossoms. Even a mystery substance Sothantos convinced her to take so he could "study the effects". It turned into a bad trip. She's smart enough to try new things in small doses, and prefers bliss since the withdrawals aren't all that terrible, but I always try to take into account the effects of a substance while I RP her. For the most part, she just gets a lot less tactful and is a lot more likely to be a danger to herself and others.
  • XaeXae
    edited August 2015
    I had Xae eat a snow blossom in her back story as a dare, when she was a child. Ended up getting way too sick and all of her growing went to keeping her alive, and that's why she's so short (well short for a tsol'aa). Since then, she hasn't bothered with anything.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Amu is a functional alcoholic and has been for years. She is also an occasional bliss user - it helps her not to give a fuck when she is obviously giving too much of a fuck. She has been on a bit of a binge since the Occultists fell into ruin, but all it takes is one businesslike conversation to get her sobered up and back with the program. Bliss only developed into a full-on addiction while @Mathonwy was in the House, and Fruitless Orchards basically became a giant opium den filled with bohemian elitism and melodrama. Fun times. ;)
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • Basil used to be an alcholic in his youth(ish) and was just a real happy drunk satyr monk.  As he got older he sorta got better with it and quit the alcohol.

Though, in turn he's got really into adventuring.  Like, that's kind of his drug.  He'll drop pretty much everything he's doing if he's given the option to explore somewhere new.  Heaven forbid if he actually finds the 1000th door, it's been something he's been studying and will just randomly abandon hunting parties if he sees it to just go gamble his time.  He hasn't had much luck with it, but has found a number of new places that he explores quite often.
  • Basileios said:
    Heaven forbid if he actually finds the 1000th door, it's been something he's been studying and will just randomly abandon hunting parties if he sees it to just go gamble his time.  He hasn't had much luck with it, but has found a number of new places that he explores quite often.
    1000th door is pretty fun...until it kills you. I got a little bit less eager to try it after a streak of three instant deaths.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Basil has yet to die to it once.  He's been in it.. 46 times now iirc.  Maybe 47.
  • One threw me to the Wyrm Lord (I just wasn't prepared to run and got blown up. Not really an "instant" death, but it was fast enough). The other two were the Alleyway that instantly kills you.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    When Caer was first released, Kyrra had a thing for munching on snow blossoms. The hallucinations were great fun to observe, and I still remember the very first time she ate them and then freaked out that all her feathers were falling out, and people were saying the most dreadful things about her. Good times.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Oh, Xae loves her alcohol.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Dortheron said:
    One threw me to the Wyrm Lord (I just wasn't prepared to run and got blown up. Not really an "instant" death, but it was fast enough). The other two were the Alleyway that instantly kills you.
    Alleyway?
    Huh. Neat.
  • Little late to this party, but given that I haven't heard mention of venoms, I feel it worth tossing Tess' experience/s up. Once she ended up addicted to Serpent's venom (the class, mind you). Her headed ended up not being in her words or her actions near so much, her behavior shifted, even had some physical problems crop up as a side effect to the constant introduction of venom. Subtle, but Family started to notice, drama, interesting times. Eventually she started edging towards heart failure so was forced to quit.

She also has an addiction to family. 'Cause yes family is a drug. :pleased:

In trying to keep with the inquiries of the OP - she was in a tough spot already so it was essentially a crutch, and because of the need of an actual Serpent, an estranged bond (mostly mental/emotional). The actual start of the addiction was an accident. Her behavior was shifted towards inattentive, more lax, and depending on the venom (though she was mostly addicted to a single one), sometimes would shift in a near bipolar manner. Basically I sat and thought on how it would logically effect her mindset. Even did some minor research into the effects of venoms, including the gradual buildup of protein venoms. So the entire experience was a mix of a random situation to start, and a bad one keeping it going down the drain.

Also have an alt (sorry, I do, long dormant and stupid old) who did everything under the sun - weed, gleam, bliss, alcohol, snowblossoms, blood, minerals after an odd experiment, an unnamed substance born of further experiments, oddly never venoms. Basically anything she could get her hands on. The LACK of these things is what effected her behavior, not the presence. She was great and 'normal' when she had them.

Hope that helps sate some of your curiosities and answer the lingering questions Skye!
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I roleplayed Aktillum to have a gleam habit for a while. Used to randomly emote sniffle and excuse myself from Order meetings to snort a packet. I think it got old after about a week.

• Tibitha has an addictive personality and should just stay away from addictive substances, in general apparently. :frown: 

• applies to nose too.
  • @Aktillum "I'm surprised at the number of posts in this thread that admit to running with drug RP."
    I'm curious as to why you said this. Not seeing how it's anything special given that it's just another aspect of RP, and unless others metagame (as I hope they wouldn't), inconsequential.

"Shrooms IRL makes you think you can telepathically communicate with your cats. Shrooms in Achaea transport you to a magical world full of talking animals..okay, I guess that one is pretty comparable."
    Just to say, I laughed so hard at this that I should probably feel ashamed. Also there are the sentient cats in Bopalopia sooooooo yes!

@Aerek Completely agree there. I'd hate to see Achaean RP and combat reduced to that sort of confrontation.