Stories of suffering

edited November 2012 in The Scarlattan Theatre
With the new event and the destruction of Lord Apollyon, let us take some time to reflect on some of the wonderfully dreadful times we had with the Lord.

I shall begin.

Kholm was always a big family man, ever since his days in Hashan. He was somewhat babied by his mother Kotyonok, and was quite naive to the happenings of the world around him. He ended up finding his first daughter @Rayla, which he cherished above all else for the longest time. Rayla as many know was one of the most cheerful and wonderful people in the realms. She was beautiful, happy as a lark, and obnoxiously bright in her decor.

Something important to keep in mind. Rayla, when very young wanted to change from a Siren to an Atavian. She asked Kholm to kill her at the world tree so she could become the very thing that she wanted to be. He obliged grudgingly, and killed her, allowing her to reincarnate. This weighed heavily on Kholm and swore to his daughter that he would never again harm her. If she ever wanted to reincarnate again, it would have to be someone else.

Anyways, following the Qashari raids on Hashan, Shallams reluctance to stop the attacks, and Mhaldor's aide, Kholm went to the Naga to learn how to fight. He became decent enough, (Though I'll admit I quickly went back to sucking really bad) and quickly became the Serpentlord Combat head. He switched to Mhaldor for a time, went back to Hashan, and simply found that he could no longer stomach their nonsense, leading him back to Mhaldor once again. @Balynne was there to aide his conversion. He became interested in Suffering, from all the anguish he suffered at the hands of the Qashar and applied to Apollyon's order.

Many years passed, and nobody said a word. This was one of the silent tasks of the order. You requested a meeting, and they simply said they'd get back to you. Waiting is a bitch, but it's there to show who is truly devoted. Finally, my time came. It seems the order had done a very thorough job at researching Kholm's history, and @Fyr especially was particularly brutal, in regards to Kholm's family. They already knew his greatest weakness, his first born daughter, Rayla.

To even have a second glance at joining the pre-order, my first task was to slay his daughter. his first born, his blood.

Kholm wandered aimlessly in the Northern Ithmia for days, occassionally pestered by his daughter that he was meant to kill. She was quite a tanky bard, and as much as she hated combat, was rather good at it. Kholm knew he could never kill her head on, and he would instantly falter at the anguish on her face.

Rayla noted how strange Kholm was acting, and constantly checked up on him, bringing him cookies and flowers, and letting Dash(her rainbow turtle) be his stool on which he would sit and ponder for hours. When Kholm had finally mustered up the courage to slay her, she sent him a letter with a giant smiling face. "The sun is always shining," it said, "Better days will come. I love you, Dad."

Kholm did his best to pretend he never saw it, though it struck him so deeply. He sat up in the trees, and called his beloved daughter to him. He told her to wait, and as any obedient daughter does, she waited. Kholm crafted a noose and silently slipped it down over his daughters head, and instantly hung her. He held it tight, tears streaming as she flailed before her body finally expired.

@Millabar was there in an instant, scooping up her corpse and taking her to Mithraea's temple. She was graciously restored to life, but refused to say a word to Kholm, who could not bring himself to speak to her. Millabar insisted a duel, attacked Kholm, and called him a pitiful waste of a father, killing something as precious as the bond a father and daughter have, as well as the physical body of his daughter.

Kholm was broken, left to his madness as he prowled, attacking random people, random atavians, anything that made him think of his daughter. Even his Fiance @Anouk at the time could not calm him. After the initial attack, Anouk left, and told Kholm to tend to his madness as she would have nothing to do with such a weak man.

Many days passed, many tears, many hours of wandering that all blended together into nothing, until his saving grace came back to him.

The very person he had killed, his daughter, returned to him.
"Father," She said, looking into Kholm's wild eyes. "They thought I could save you, or even convert you to the light in your anguish, but I will do no such thing. Just as Apollyon wishes to inflict suffering on you at my cost, he shall not. For I am your daughter and your daughter alone, and I love you, no matter what choice you make."
She kissed Kholm on the head, cleansing his madness from his spirit and bringing him back to the sane world.

"Go now, and embrace your fate. You are forgiven."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in the end, that may not have been the most "suffering" way for that event in Kholm's life to end, but it was enough. Kholm felt true suffering, and found his meaning in everything through that. He will never cease to love his daughter @Rayla, and to this day I love her so much for that alone. It was such a soul rending story that Kholm lived out that even I, the player, cried. So did Rayla apparently, and many others that were involved did as well.

Thank you Apollyon, as well as his order. Never have I experienced a story as grand as this in movie or tale, and I am glad I got to experience, live, and see such a thing.

Comments

• @Kholm wow! That... was amazing. I kind of remember some of that stuff happening, but stayed out of it.

Trilli on the other hand... she wrote an essay about Suffering, Oppression, and Chaos for her Order. She only wrote on what she could deduce from HELPS and random things in Cyrene's library- which was very limited. (she STILL needs to talk to @Amunet about this essay, but @Amunet intimidates her for some reason) Only @Vadimuses had been the only one of her family that had read it. 

That was until she came back. I don't really remember how it was all started- I think she went to spend time with @Nizaris and @Ariete in Hashan and somehow the subject came upon essays or Suffering, after Ariete left. @Nizaris explained a lot to Trilliana and offered to take her to Lord Apollyon's temple. A few months later, he took her to the library and let her read everything there while he left to deal with a novice- Trilliana being a former Head of Newcomers, understood the need and left him to his duties. She wanted to talk to @Nizaris about it more, but somehow things kept coming up before she could talk to him

Yes, not as greatly detailed as @Kholm but this is just what I recall. 
    meh

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited November 2012
    @Trilliana: Didn't realize that the conversation was left unfinished, because we went through your essay together. Niz doesn't consider Trilli an enemy of Mhaldor in anything more than name (though, he did personally lay the fine against her for "raiding"). So, hit me up and we'll RP more. Also, he's given Quei permission to talk to Trilli, and explain the family a bit (heh).
  • @Nizaris definitely will, once Trilli figures out how she'll breach the subject with Apollyon gone and Sartan ..back?
    meh

@Trilliana: Yeah ... Niz still hasn't figured out the new theology, and his questions to Sartai leadership thusfar has been (understandably) met with a "wait", or put more precisely, "We have no idea which way Sartan is going to go."
  • @Nizaris just let me know via PM when he's got it figured out. Don't wanna jump on it too early and such!
    meh

• Nizaris said:
    @Trilliana: Yeah ... Niz still hasn't figured out the new theology, and his questions to Sartai leadership thusfar has been (understandably) met with a "wait", or put more precisely, "We have no idea which way Sartan is going to go."
    As I've stated in another thread, I really hope they just merge the theologies and have two paths that Satai can go down. I also pray I get my Order rank back. If Adikoi enter the Black Hand at a diminished level, that would suck BIG time.
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Lodi said:
    If Adikoi enter the Black Hand at a diminished level, that would suck BIG time.
    ...I can't believe you said this. I mean, I can't believe YOU said THIS.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • edited November 2012
    @Boosteya: Eh... why not?

I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • If us Adikoi enter the Sartai at a lower level (or even, dare I say it, OR1!), then it just stinks of a coup to me OOCly. ICly Lodi will just deal with it though. :)
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited November 2012
    Suddenly reminded of Icaru days.

That said, since this is a thread on the stories of Suffering:

When I was Hashani and applied to Apollyon's order, I never knew how rare it was that non-Mhaldorians were made Order members. I found the concept of the god realm interesting and very applicable to Ruth, and decided to know more. So, I messaged Apollyon directly asking him how I could go about applying to his Order.

Looking back, it seems the processes that Ruth needed to go through for entrance were modified quite a bit for her, but it made the experience even more special and memorable. Undergoing the gauntlet (interview) was usually the last procedure before being offered full membership, but Ruth was subjected to it right off the bat. That was one of the first proper roleplay situations I found Ruth in, and I enjoyed it very much. Being interrogated by known Order members at that time (Sabiru, Lideron, Herenicus, Balynne) gave off the very subtle, sinister impression that I was involving Ruth in something that I didn't know was going to be a pretty significant influence in her life at that point of time.

The experiences I had with Ruth while undergoing tasks under a cloak of secrecy and lies can never be replaced, and was additionally enhanced by an active Apollyon at that time, whom seemed to be observing her every action and word. Despite being the Suffering Lord, he was always looking out for Ruth in his own way and ensuring that she takes certain measures to conceal her Order membership. Of it all, I particularly loved the part where Asham, the daemon priest in the Ivory Temple came to visit Ruth while she was docking at Clockwork.

I figure now that there's no harm in posting Apollyon's order entrance ritual, so here it is, for those interested:

http://pastebin.com/k9Xuy1hc

I've had a lot of good times roleplaying as an Adikoi so hopefully, that won't stop simply by virtue of the fact that the god itself is gone. Am looking forward to what Sartan's order can offer!

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    @ Ruth: The talk of tests just reminded me when my sister, cousin and I watched the Saw series :(.

:D good ritual tho.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

@Katzchen: Interesting read. Didn't know half of it.
  • Nizaris said:
    @Katzchen: Interesting read. Didn't know half of it.
    Yeah, her history is public I think, it documents stuff up to where she joined Mhaldor, and pre trial, I want to finish more chapters, I like the idea of a history being up to date. She was a daft little bard brat when she started, Nizaris would have been annoyed with her. So it was a pretty big shift (though with WAY too much time spent playing to flesh it out) from 18 to 30.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    That's a nice story. :) I didn't really know much about Katzchen but I never expected much from her ex-husband, and her by proxy. I was glad when Katzchen proved Shera wrong. Hope I see you around more, for more Suffering xD.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• I hope so. I was getting way too sucked in, so I forced myself to take a break. Hoping I can get back into achaea, possibly with a alt as well as Katz for something less 'serious almost all the time' without losing all my time to the game again.

• Sorry for necroing this but it really helps explain @katzchen's shift to Mhaldor from hiding panties all over the Ithmias. Really good read.
    Tvistor said:
    Achievement Unlocked : Made A God Feel Guilty.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2013
    Anatral said:
    Sorry for necroing this but it really helps explain @katzchen's shift to Mhaldor from hiding panties all over the Ithmias. Really good read.
      Yeah... she's still a tad mischevious, but any pranks have got a lot more tasteful, and a lot more targeted. :P