Where did the RPs go?

I just came back recently after a 2 year (or so) break. I don't really know anyone in the game anymore, so I was really surprised when random characters started talking to me, and immediately jumped into OOC mode in tells. Am I like, a magnet, or is this a common thing nowadays? How do you guys fend this off if it does happen? 

Comments

• Yeah, not in any OOC clans. I just find it really odd that people who I have never interacted with will send me a tell, then shortly follow it up talking about something OOC, ie, "I'm really sleepy IRL" or something. It's mostly random but a little frustrating. 
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Unfortunately, there's a chance it might correspond to your character being female as well. Lots of lonely desperate people on the interwebs.
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited August 2015
    Kaila said:
    I just came back recently after a 2 year (or so) break. I don't really know anyone in the game anymore, so I was really surprised when random characters started talking to me, and immediately jumped into OOC mode in tells. Am I like, a magnet, or is this a common thing nowadays? How do you guys fend this off if it does happen? 
    Right though, whenever I ask this question I get told I'm trolling. Although we have an RPWHO now so you can flag yourself for RP.

Edit: Also it's HELP RPWHO to read about it.
  • That's awesome, thanks! 
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Generally, I find that the best course of action is to either ignore the OOC communication or send a polite message saying that it's immersion breaking and could they please not do that or keep it to messages if they must, which is less jarring. Depending on who it is, they might get a bit offended but it's probably not worth spoiling your fun to interact with those people anyway. Most will understand, and if any tell you tells are ooc, I believe HELP CHANNELS or HELP TELLS explicitly states that they are not. It's common practice for some to be ooc in tells,  yes,  but only if the other party consents. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I have a standing rule to only start a tell that is ooc with '//' and it will be usually in a way that I am giving someone a tip or warning someone to stop talking to me ooc in the first place. With some people I don't mind it, but I generally prefer the immersion.

I tried my hand at a few ooc clans but left them because it broke immersion too much. If you want to talk to me ooc, add me to skype or something.
  • if someone asks me a question that seems like an IC way to understand game-mechanics, I will usually strip the facade, and go to // tells, because precise wording is important for clarifying a game mechanic. I essentially wasted the first two ig years of my characters adulthood on alchemy, because of a misunderstanding I had due to RP explanations of game mechanics. I like to save other people from that, however much of my rp uses empirical understandings of interacting the world(ie game mechanics), so it can be a tricky line to walk sometimes. That said, I try not ever do OOC stuff. I refuse to join OOC clans, and do not engage in idle ooc chit-chat with other people.

i also, just learned of rpwho from this thread. I was actually talking a couple weeks ago to a friend irl about how there needed to be exactly this function. So, nice.

at any rate, if you want to rp, engage people in it. if they respond to your rp with OOC stuff, just tell them you were trying to rp, they will either tell you they are the wrong person, or get into it with you and you can have fun.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    What if I use ICQ? My computer cannot handle skype. Achaea ICQ Community.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    What if I use ICQ? My computer cannot handle skype. Achaea ICQ Community.
    Oh man, haven't thought about ICQ in ages. I think my very first internet-based course (like 20 years ago or more) required that as a way to communicate with the instructor.  I used to know all my friend's numbers by heart. /Derail
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited August 2015
    Is that like, Raidcall?

Edit: The ICQ I mean.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    one thing I definitely noticed ooc clans mess with : events.
    You can be trying to get immersed in an event, and suddenly someone on an ooc clan starts to joke about the event, people in the event (admit it, not a single ooc clan out there hasn't seen this happen yet) Which either makes you annoyed at the event because you see what they're talking about, or annoyed at the person - and annoyance is generally not a good factor to build on for RP.

and as for random ooc tells, either ignore the tell, tell them off in an ooc tell, or go like "What is this IRL you speak of?", mess with their head a bit
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    But @Tharvis, I rely on you as my one source of HAAAAAAAAALP! :D

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Achimrst said:
    Is that like, Raidcall?

Edit: The ICQ I mean.
    Hm, it was like very old/original Yahoo or AOl instant messaging. Extremely basic. Pre-emoticons and stickers and everything else you see added in to messengers today. You were assigned a random, long-ass number when you joined and people had to have that to message you. 
    Tharvis said:
    one thing I definitely noticed ooc clans mess with : events.
    You can be trying to get immersed in an event, and suddenly someone on an ooc clan starts to joke about the event, people in the event (admit it, not a single ooc clan out there hasn't seen this happen yet) Which either makes you annoyed at the event because you see what they're talking about, or annoyed at the person - and annoyance is generally not a good factor to build on for RP.

and as for random ooc tells, either ignore the tell, tell them off in an ooc tell, or go like "What is this IRL you speak of?", mess with their head a bit
    Hrm, I wouldn't know about this one. I tend to go SILENCEON when an event I'm involved in is taking place, which is something I'd encourage most people who want RP tunnel vision to do (you can always turn individual org clans back on to discuss IC things there). I agree though; that would be a downer. 
    Klendathu said:
    But @Tharvis, I rely on you as my one source of HAAAAAAAAALP! :D
    ooc questions for help I don't really care about, if someone asks for help, I have time and I know the answer or what to point them at, I'll just throw them what they need.

but random things like X tells you, "Lolol I'm so tired." are just a ...wat? moment

• @Tharvis Those are the exact kind of tells I'm talking about. I've been asked some OOC questions by newbies and such, which is fine, but they don't seem to have a boundary. An OOC question about the game then leads them to telling me about their RL job or their RL headache. 

@Bluef Thanks! Good to be back! 
    edited August 2015
    edit : woops wrong thread
    ( @Natliya tagging me confused me into opening this thread mid-writing, weep )

• See why this is such an effective method now, Tharvis? 
    Not even you can keep -threads- straight on the forums... Imagine trying to keep OOC and IC straight. 
    *Sagenod*
    I don't like long goodbyes.
    @Natliya there's a reason I have the logger running perpetually, and that is to remember just what was done IC and what was irl brainstorming that I never actually put in.
    Like that one time someone (not me, before you think so) applied nonexisting laws because they thought asking for a draft review on skype = IC majority approval

• RaemRaem Los Angeles
    I've never had an issue if it's clear that it's an OOC message and the IC conversation carries on without any overlap. As long as there's a distinction I can still feel connected with the IC aspect of things. When the lines start to get blurred there's an issue... Worst thing is when someone mentions/ claims to know something IC that I've only told them OOC.

I usually have OOC conversations going while I'm playing, but I make sure they're completely independent from anything going on in the actual game. I'm realizing from this thread that some people aren't cool with that though. So I need to remind myself that not everyone is open to an OOC message/tell even if I carry on the IC interaction just fine.