Expand falconry by allowing Knights the choice of eagles, hawks and falcons

Hi there.

This got Listed ages ago, but I think it was as a cosmetic change, not a gameplay function change. I was hoping that it gets another look.

Falconry currently just has falcons. Why not give Knights the choice of eagles, falcons and hawks in the hatchery? We have three stats for a falcon: speed, stamina, and strength. I am pretty sure in the real world falcons are the fastest, while eagles are the strongest. Hawks fall somewhere in between. So make the eagle exceptional in strength but a bit deficient in speed, make the falcon exceptional in speed and somewhat deficient in strength, and make the hawk be the average -- what we have right now. By making this change and allowing the three types of bird of prey, there would be an increased degree of strategy for the Knight in choosing and training his or her bird. And I am quite sure falcons in the real world are not the only birds of prey used in falconry.

For example, look at this gentleman hunting hares with a gold eagle:

I am not exactly sure what happened to the list, but I think this would be a good way to augment falconry and introduce a lot of good additional strategy, while giving people choice, and not really having to alter game mechanics that much, because the three attributes are already coded into the game.

Thank you for reading my idea

Comments

• That would introduce absolutely no strategy to Knight combat; falcons are just set and forget passive damage, they're not really a complicated mechanic. For those that care solely about getting the most out of the class, there's either going to be an obvious superior choice or it's going to be purely an aesthetic decision, in which case just make it one.

I'm all for different types of bird - or at least allowing customisation as a warhawk - but messing around with the stats seems like it wouldn't add anything.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I can already predict most knights will go for the fastest type for stripping defenses and knocking off balance
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Falcons no longer knock off balance, and stripping most defences doesn't really do anything for you, so I'd expect most people to go for the option which does the most damage over time (unless they all end up being about the same).
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I'd love this, even if it was just cosmetic. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• What Shirszae said - even if this were just flavor, it'd still be awesome. 
  • MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    Are snakes customized to different Houses/cities?

Falcons customized to cities would be awesome:

Mhaldor: buzzards
    Eleusis: owls
    Tagossas: falcons/hummingbird
    Hashan: hawks
    Ashtan: eagles

Or any raptor that fits the bill (beak?).
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
  • There are (or were) house specific falcon varients. Can anyone confirm or deny if the post-ren houses have hatcheries and custom falcons?
    @Marax actually an owl would fit hashan better, twilight's symbol is a shadowy owl.
    Though maybe a Lunalia would be even better.

• edited July 2015
    Tahquil said:
    There are (or were) house specific falcon varients. Can anyone confirm or deny if the post-ren houses have hatcheries and custom falcons?
    Targossas' houses have a shared area that contains the house upgrades. There's no house-specific design anymore.
    retired
    edited July 2015
    Seifur said:
    Tahquil said:
    There are (or were) house specific falcon varients. Can anyone confirm or deny if the post-ren houses have hatcheries and custom falcons?
    Targossas' houses have a shared area that contains the house upgrades. There's no house-specific design anymore.
    all houses except ashtan their houses do, now
    and delos