Why Do You Play Achaea?

I think it will be interesting to see why your fellow Achaeans play this game :) ITT : List your own personal top three reasons and justify them.

1. Escapism

The text-aspect of Achaea lets me visualize things in my mind within a certain set of rules. This leads to imagery and a large room for creativity which online graphics games can't capture on the same level. 

2. Hobby

I like building up who my character is, from positions to artefacts/levels etc. 

3. Interactions

From family RP to whatever, some people are nice/fun to interact with. Others, not really.

Maybe.. Combat

Though, it's one of those weird games where coders can really excel versus people not bothered to invest time learning how to code elaborate offensive triggers.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]

Comments

• Great thread, @Exelethril.
  • edited June 2015
    Combat and @Jhui for sure

Oh and definitely the coding

love some coding
  • Combat and friends.

Also gotta say coding. I've learned a lot.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I think it will be interesting to see why your fellow Achaeans play this game :) ITT : List your own personal top three reasons and justify them.
    Note the bolded
    Dalran said:

love some coding
    You can't justify Jhui foo
    Huh. Neat.
    Ahmet said:
    Note the bolded
    Dalran said:

love some coding
    You can't justify Jhui foo
    I was trying to call you a fool but now it sounds like I'm referring to some mystical martial art called 'Jhui foo' and I think I like that a lot more :sunglasses: 
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited June 2015
    Habituation and financial investment. 

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Escapism in the form of creativity
    Text games like Achaea allow me to live in a world that uses the power of the mind to form images. It allows me to explore several outlets that would probably be difficult to explore in real life. For example, building a house exactly to the picture in your mind has a lot of restrictive factors in real life. Location, materials available, the cost and the associated effort you need to put in your job to make that money and see it happen. I could never be a tailor in real life, nor can I be a jeweller in real life. Those are tradeskills that take a long time to master and at least I can appreciate the ability and effort to create and produce things in Achaea.

I also work in a science-related field in real life, and my dreams when I was young was to be a writer and work in an arts-related field (even journalism would do) when I grew up. It's not as easy to do so where I am, so I find my fix in being able to preserve my skills and simultaneously indulge in writing and creativity in Achaea through philosophy works, designing, event organizing and so on and so forth.

Community
    While there are always a fraction of toxicity in any online communities, I have made more true friends from Achaea (or IRE wide, for that matter) than any other MMORPG game I play. There's something to be said about understanding and knowing a person behind the character by virtue of how they guide and play their character, especially if you've been interacting with them for a long time. You know that you share the same interests and that you can talk to them with ease about some things IRL without fear of insulting. I've made firm friendships with a few (ex: @Jurixe and @Aepas) that I can feel comfortable traveling overseas to find and meet them!

Immersion
    Achaea is like reading a book that I can never stop reading. The characters keep developing. Dramatic world events happen and I get to be involved in shaping how things become, or to witness an end or a beginning to something. I get to make my own story too, and explore what becomes of the choices I make.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Friends/Family: Honestly, if it wasn't for certain people I've met in Achaea who've stuck with me through the few years I've played I wouldn't be playing this game still today. When everything else seems to have lost its luster, they always remain my center, and I'm very grateful to these individuals for all they've done for me.

Lady Pandora/Lady Selene/Orders: My other families! Ever since my character met Lady Pandora, She has been so kind and welcoming, and very understanding. Though Lady Selene is now gone, She was the first sense of purpose my character had, and the first place I ever felt like she belonged. Never found purpose in being part of a House or a city, but being in the Order has always left me with a sense of purpose. I'm glad to have met the people I have in both Orders, and in knowing them, learning from them, and growing with them they've helped shape my character in many ways.

Collecting: I have a thing for collecting rare and interesting items or pets/mounts which also drives me to keep at other interests of mine that help this goal along. By exploring and knowing my way around sometimes it gives me more of a background on something I may come across. By continuing to hunt, which I love for many reasons, it gives me the funds to keep on with this hobby of mine. It's also an interest I get to work on with one of my best friends who also enjoys the same hobby. Through discovering new and old items I get to learn about Achaea and its history from a different perspective that goes beyond just listening to stories or reading books. I've also met a lot of people through trading, buying, and selling. It's always fun to see what interesting and neat things other people have and to learn about those, or see if they know something about an item I have that I may not have known. It's just a fun aspect of Achaea that not a huge part of Achaea really participates in, and I'm always finding new things (or things that are new to me) so it never gets old or boring.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Depth:
    While visual games certainly provide a graphical interface that is frequently pretty to look at, the sheer variety that Achaea holds for pretty much everything you do is what draws me in.  Read a few books, walk around outside for a while and you can picture environments pretty well.  Living near the Great Dismal Swamp provides awesome imagery for swamp areas in Achaea, which really look like swamps by the way!

Motivation:
    I'm not slaved to some npc quest giver doing dailies to achieve xmillion rep so I can finally get that epic mount I want by grinding my face off of a raid 2000000 times at 6 hours a night (can you tell I left modern MMOs with a chip on my shoulder?) If I get something, it's because I went for it.  Don't want to be a combatant? Don't, sit around designing clothes and food all day. It's your gameplay, not some other guy telling you how to play.

People/Consequences:
    It's easy to go lulzgrief when you never see that person, or any person ever again since there's so many.  If I trash talk someone, grief them, or even just give them a hard time they're going to be there when I log back in going "wtf man".  What that means too is if you really hit it off with a group/few people, there's a huge draw in realizing they'll be there dragging  you into the fun or vice versa. It's sometimes intense playing with the same ~25? people all the time, but it's great
  • MorkadoMorkado Seattle, WA
    We play games for entertainment, I think.

I guess what makes Achaea so great to me is its depth -- in combat, history, politics, etc. -- its immersion -- text offers such great detail to everything -- and probably just straight habit.

Coding is fun too :)
    All right guys. I lied. I play achaea simply because it looks like I'm being productive while I'm at work :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • ^It definitely is a game that doesn't look like a game when you need it to not to :lol: 

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    There are three reasons, but they all tie into each other in a way, so its whatever.

Escapism: 

To be frank, the first and foremost reason I play this game is because it allows me to be/pretend being someone else. It allows me (for the most part) to forget about things I want to forget about, or in some cases explore them/see them from a different angle. Not the perfect solution, but it still makes me feel better (usually). Depression's not a nice bitch.

Creativity outlet/Entertainment:
    I don't do really much designing of clothes and jewellery and stuff like that, all things considered, but I immensely enjoy it when I actually take the time to do. I love researching about used terms, historical outfits and the like. I love looking at pictures of period or fantasy wear. I also love writing stories set in the universe, which necessarily needs me to be familiar with setting and places and such, which pushes me to explore and see the world through the eyes of my character.

Roleplaying:
    Though I admit my character is not as different as me as perhaps she should be, her history and her circumstances are her own, and though perhaps I am not really that great of a roleplayer, there have been a great number of others who have definitely left a mark in her and changed her and made her different from who she was when I first started playing, and I really enjoy that, both the effect other characters and people can have on yours, on the chance of you in turn having an effect on the character of others.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• 1. The Community. I really just love interacting with the people I interact with regularly, both OOC and IC, most of them Mhaldorian, some not.

2. Break from RL. Sometimes, it's nice to have one!

3. Combat mechanics. And yes, even coding. I've learned a lot about coding while playing the game, and the combat system has so much depth and strategy involved. Always a blast.

4. Roleplay - the storytelling element of it. Can sometimes be like reading a good book.

• Escape. I spend most of my time in a very restricted environment, in which I'm expected to really cut back on quite a few aspects of my personality. Achaea is awesome, it lets me unleash all the horrible puns that have been festering in the back of my mind. I tend to channel excess energy into attempted in-game productivity too, which is really good because if I don't I show up to work acting like the Energizer bunny.

Friends! Friends everywhere. I've met so many great people here, some like family, and they're a big part of the reason I'm always around.

Possibility. There's so many ways players can affect the world and it's brilliant, I never know what's upcoming...but I want to find out. And maybe help make it happen.
    Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh hurty, duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh fighty, hurty, fighty, hurty, fighty, slicey, slicey, facey, kickey -

art stream / twitter / ko-fi
  • 1. Personal development. This game has taught me a lot in my time playing it - from interpersonal relationships, structure and form of comedy, storytelling, vocabulary, how to manage a bureaucracy, conflict resolution, coding skills, patience, the list goes on and on. I even got a grounding in very basic versions of a lot of different philosophies from the religions, which mostly tie to a real-world philosophy. I've still got a very long way to go on a lot of these, but Achaea has done a lot for me both intellectually and socially.

2. Roleplay. Selira is different from me in many ways (though not as many as I might like), and being able to step into that mindspace is fum and fascinating for me. The story arcs and the things I would never do in real life are great.

3. The community. Y'all are a bunch of smart mofos. I bounced from MMO to MMO in my time away from Achaea and IRE really draws a particular class of people to it, and it's one I really enjoy being around.

4. Friends, as listed. I"ve made some very deep, lasting friendships that have drastically changed my life from this game.

5. The malleability of the game world. This was the biggest thing missing from other games I played - sure, you can roleplay in WoW, but you won't have a lasting effect. The things you do don't actually change the game. You just sit around in Silvermoon and try to be the prettiest elf, instead of getting out there and, say, blowing up a moon. Being able to see continuous effects and cultural responses to things I was involved with years ago is amazing, and really is unique to the MU* world.

6. The gods and the politics. I will never stop being amazed at how well this works. So much of the game is player-run or player-influenced, and even the administrators are players to some degree. It's a beautiful thing.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Reif said:
    ^It definitely is a game that doesn't look like a game when you need it to not to :lol: 

These forums and the website though... The dwarf that stares at me when I check messages, as well as the giant PLAY button kills me. I know why it's there, but it's hard to be stealthy at work.

On topic!

The Community.
    I'm still friends with people I met almost ten years ago here. And switching to a new character and new faction was just as welcoming. If it weren't for the people I interact with here, my long periods of not playing would have just ended with me not playing. Instead, the community pretty much always draws me back. 

The Set-Up and Premise
    I don't know how else to say it, but this is everything. It's the fantasy world, with six player run cities, houses and orders. It's the display, in game. If you've ever played another mud, then switched to one of the IRE games, you'll note the difference in how things are organized and how it all looks. I'm pretty particular to IRE now. Can't imagine going back. And Achaea, even after ten years, still has some of that magic to it. The fact that it's constantly being developed and improved helps draw me in.

Escapism
    It's pretty nice to get home from a long day at work and jump into Achaea and go hunting or defend or help a novice or do anything rather than think about the day I had. I like hunting until I'm not thinking about anything at times. But also, the immersion of Achaea with its constantly evolving storyline is even more intense than reading a really amazing book. Looking back at events and being able to say, "I was a part of that," is pretty amazing. 
  • The crown jewel of IRE is its amazing PvP system.  That is one of the main things that captured my attention in Achaea in the first place.  It just always felt completely beyond my grasp in Achaea.  Achaea promised it, Imperian finally delivered it - and it is as amazing as I thought. 

I still have mixed feelings about coding.  I am glad I'm actually understanding some of it (finally) but the idiosyncrasies of syntax still royally piss me off - not to mention the assumption that anyone reading guides and instructions is immersed in coding.  I truly think coders just can't help themselves here.  They literally can't see what things look like to the non-coder and where the non-coder will completely miss the logic jump that is "obvious" to coder person.  This is really clear to me in cases where you can see someone has taken painstaking effort to explain something in the most basic way possible, and then proceeds to skim over how all of the "parts" fit together (this is exactly where people like me get lost).  I've met exactly one person who excels at these explanations and would love to force him to write tutorials...

Exploring and shopping for interesting items are always a pleasant way to pass the time, but eventually, you've had enough.  It's an important part of the game, though, and an important part of grabbing newer players and giving older ones ways to pass the time.  Every IRE game does these things really well.

Ships.  I mean, SHIPS! 

Kind and helpful people to interact with.  These people exist in all of the games I've tried so far. 

• RaemRaem Los Angeles
    1. Immersion/Escapism. It's the same effect as reading a really good book. Helps me manage depression and still feel like I'm interacting with other people.

2. RP. It's pretty hilarious to play someone nearly the exact opposite of who I am. Writing a character and watching them develop is a lot of fun. Can also pretend I'm a lot more badass than I really am, or whatever.

3. Combat. I suck at it but it's still fun to try to improve at. Sort of like solving a puzzle.

Probably the biggest thing drawing me -away- from Achaea is the fact that my executive functioning issues make me do stupid stuff all the time (in and out of game). So that's fun.
  • friends - love the friends I made here, and each time I wake to play is an opportunity to make another. easily the number 1 reason I keep playing.

quests - I love the challenge behind a good quest. I can get lost for hours thinking things through. 

rp - I don't do this as much as I'd like. I've shied away from it a bit for reasons. However, it's definitely something I have enjoyed and probably would again should I decide to work my way back into it. 
  • I play because people keep asking if I've won this game yet, and one day I will say "YES, I FINALLY WON!"