The best news

Hello, Achaeans!

Morkado is a new character for me. I don't play multiple characters at a time. I play one until I am motivated to do something different and then I start a new story. Any number of things might motivate such a change; friends or family of my character going inactive, the God whom I served faithfully for a couple hundred years being slain by Bal'met, an unexpected and unhappy end to a marriage that was integral to the identity of my character, boredom, being shrubbed (ok, only once!), etc...

My point, if I have any at all, is that while I am an old hat who has played a role -- small or big -- in nearly every organization in the game at some point, I have also remained apart from the community at large on a personal level. I like knowing characters, through in-character interaction, and that's really what makes Achaea so great to me. That said, this game and its community have been a part of my life for most of it. I was 8 years old when I made my first character and I am nearly 25 now.  This might mean nothing to some of you, I do not know. I simply cannot imagine beginning this next chapter of my life without sharing it with a community that I love so much..

I am going to be a father to a baby boy in October!!!

I don't know if it's like this for everyone but I was there for the anatomy appointment when they mapped out all his parts... and I wept with joy and pride that my baby has bones! Bones!!! How silly is that?! I saw his femur and tibia and fibula and I felt so proud! I am so excited to be a father. I feel blessed that my boy is growing healthy and that I get to be there for him. It's an absolutely incredible feeling.. and I know this probably doesn't make sense, but I feel like where I am at in life today was in no small way influenced by my experiences and interactions with people in Achaea. I support my family by programming web sites, applications, and doing tech related consulting. It was Achaea that sparked my initial interest in coding and set me down the path to becoming a software engineer. 

That's just one example of how it has affected my life and the person I am today. There are so many more ways but this post from my phone was not very well thought-out and I feel like I am rambling. 

I just want to say thank you. Thank you, Iron Realms, and thank you to all the players who helped shape this game and give it life. Thank you, House Ashura, whose credo and teachings became my own.

Pictures will follow! :)

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    congratulations @Morkado !
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Congratulations, @Morkado! We look forward to hearing which wonderful Achaean godname you have convinced your bearing better half to go with!
  • Congrats man! My son is 14 mon the old and it's been a blast...no better feeling than hearing your bud say "hi dad" and then give you a high five...it makes the moments that @austere mentioned worth it!
  • Oh...and get your sleep now....sleep is really cool 
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Rask said:
    Congrats man! My son is 14 mon the old and it's been a blast...no better feeling than hearing your bud say "hi dad" and then give you a high five...it makes the moments that @austere mentioned worth it!
    8 months in a few days.  Dadda is his only word and no high fives yet. ..lucky asshole, @Rask
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Congratulations! Woot  =)

I also got my first child at the age of 25, and now am the proud father of two daughters age 2 and 5. 

They also seem to have the "kill-daddy's-joy" syndrom that @Austere mentioned :) But wouldn't want it any other way.

Having kids is so worth it. And it gives you new abilities (re @Rask mentioning how cool sleep is): like kola (dealing with less sleep for extended periods), venom (poo and puke resistance), hawthorn (immunity to constant screams, or just plain hairing impairment), bayberry (puke in the eye can not be good for you), mindseye (I swear I can almost always tell when the kids are up to no good - silence is a good sign), etc etc.

Thanks for sharing your story, and hope I get to interact with your new character!

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    BALLER, MORK!

We gotta meet up and get a drink or something before you become a new dad!
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • MorkadoMorkado Seattle, WA
    Thanks everyone! I'm pretty excited, and through my nieces, totally familiar with the sleep issues and body fluids, hehe. I'm stoked, and confident it will be worth all the work! :)

@Aodfionn - I'll definitely take you up on that! 
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    ^parenting done right.  Love it.  
  • edited June 2015
    @Morkado Congratulations!

Sounds super exciting. You're lucky, I always wonder how many binge Achaea players ruin their chances at having children by sitting with a laptop all the time :D Hopefully I haven't! 

Good luck! 

Edit: But then again, if I have, @Micaelis makes pretty cute kids for any interested. Still on the wait list I think
  • Congratulations! So awesome :)
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Zuko said:
    @Morkado Congratulations!

Sounds super exciting. You're lucky, I always wonder how many binge Achaea players ruin their chances at having children by sitting with a laptop all the time :D Hopefully I haven't! 

Good luck! 

Edit: But then again, if I have, @Micaelis makes pretty cute kids for any interested. Still on the wait list I think
    Micaelis' kids will be severely wing-deprived :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    edited June 2015
    If ever you grow tired of the baby, @Morkado, feel free to give it to the Cult of Babel. I promise, we'll take care of it. ;)

Seriously, though, congratulations. I'm still at that stage in my life where I feel like children are a plague, but I suppose they are cute. Sometimes. When they are someone else's, and I don't actually have to care for them. 
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!