[Mudlet] The GUI questions thread

I am trying and fumbling trying to build my own GUI and have a few questions. I thought I would make this thread so I can, and other people, ask questions regarding GUI creation in mudlet and get many different opinions.

Question 1)
I have read in the documentation that while labels can be coded to look more stylish that miniconsoles they don't handle large amounts of info coming in as well. Where is the line you draw when you decide between using a label or a miniconsole?

Question 2)
Can you align text in a miniconsole? I.e. Topcentre/topright/centre right? 

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    1. Any more than a line or two, miniconcole
    2. Yes - myLabel:echo(text,colour,format) - myLabel:echo("blah",cb18) would display blah in 18 point centre aligned bold text.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • @Klendathu : Those say label though....
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited June 2015
    Excellent, you passed the test. Here's your reward... http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Geyser

There doesn't appear to be any way to align text in a miniconsole, highlighting where a label would be better.

-shifty-

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  •  :(     
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    If you can get the miniconsole width (which should be easy since you set it) then making a couple of functions that align any echo'd text to the centre should be trivial in theory, but i am at work  right now so I cannot test this.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • HOOOOOW would I go about pulling out the ship prompt?
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited June 2015
    for cryptic : 

^= S(.*)@h(.*),H(.*),CE(.*)%,W<-(.*)@(.*)kts,C/S->(.*)@(\d+),(.*)$    
    Perl regex ofc
    windSpeed = matches[7]
    windDirection = matches[6]
    shipSpeed = matches[9]
    showShipSpeed()
    shipDirection = matches[8]
    if matches[3] == "++"
    then shipSailHealth = 100
    else shipSailHealth = tonumber(matches[3])
    end
    if matches[4] == "++"
    then shipHullHealth = 100
    else shipHullHealth = tonumber(matches[4])
    end
    shiphpbar:setValue(shipHullHealth, 100, "<b>Hull: ".. shipHullHealth .." / " .. "100" .. "</b>")
    shipshpbar:setValue(shipSailHealth, 100, "<b>Sails: ".. shipSailHealth .." / " .. "100" .. "</b>")
    shipBalbar:setValue(shipCrewBalance, 1)
    shipSails:setValue(sailsOpen, 1, "<b><center>Sail</b></center>")
    shipRow:setValue(rowersOpen, 1, "<b><center>Row</b></center>")
    shipStearingCode()
    deleteLine()

from @Zulah his ship system, so you'll have to tinker with it a bit
    ( http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/1705/updated-free-sea-plugin ) <- for the system

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."