A little frustration

13»

Comments

• @Tael

From HELP PK : they must be aware of the conflict before you attack them.

When I say that there should be a warning, I don't mean it as a blanket rule, I mean that there shouldn't be situations in which someone isn't perfectly clear why they're being attacked. Most of your argument seems to rely upon this idea that it should have been clear that what was happening should have resulted in death, and first, I don't think it was, and second, the onus is probably on the aggressor to be sure things are clear. Frankly, the rules make it clear that the conflict needs to be understood before people are killing each other, and yes, that often means a warning. It means that one side doesn't get to unilaterally decide that the other has crossed an unstated line, and this is definitely true when it comes to something like bounties, where it's not even a person who was part of the interaction doing the killing.

Telling someone you don't like their organization is not good justification, and I seriously hope you're not claiming that. Maybe you could make that claim if someone was just randomly screaming about how one's organization sucks, but in the course of a broader conversation, the claim that you disagree with someone's principles, or that someone's principles are wrong, doesn't mean that they get to kill you, and certainly doesn't mean that they get to get someone else to kill you, particularly without warning.

And sure, a death isn't a huge deal. I don't think that the issue is whether the mechanical effects are a problem, but that not engaging with someone, telling them that what they're doing will lead to their death, or otherwise at least telling them why you're killing them is shitty, often not very fun rp.

• It's pretty fair to assume anyone over the IC age of 25 knows that threatening to convince Occultist novices to breach their oath of secrecy is going to be a source of conflict.
  • Ayami said:
    It's pretty fair to assume anyone over the IC age of 25 knows that threatening to convince Occultist novices to breach their oath of secrecy is going to be a source of conflict.
    Then make it clear you'll kill them if they do it. Again, the rules make it clear that the conflict has to be clear to both parties. That doesn't mean you get to expect other people to know what sorts of actions justify being killed, and it definitely doesn't mean that you get to, without saying anything, post a bounty that someone else is going to carry out without so much as a conversation. At the very least, it means you tell the person that you're going to kill them and why you're doing it. That, at least, offers a form of engagement.

Lots of things are sources of conflict, but conflict doesn't always mean being hunted down without warning. And certainly not in the course of a conversation in which both people are being rather prickly towards one another.

• He knew very well why he was getting killed, he just didn't really elaborate on it in his post.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited April 2015
    Stop pk-lawyering. It was attempted assassination. If Booth warned Lincoln about his assassination attempt, he would have been a pretty ineffective assassin.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Holy Bat Guano Bat Man!  This is still going on? 

@Nakari I stopped arguing in support of the OP due to details that came out well after his/her initial post.  Details that are not minor details to the situation. As a result I csn only safely assume there is even more to the story none of us are aware of.

@Tael Holy wall of text. I can not believe I read all of that. I can see where you are coming from even if I disagree on a few points.

• edited April 2015
    Jonathin said:
    Stop pk-lawyering. It was attempted assassination. If Booth warned Lincoln about his assassination attempt, he would have been a pretty ineffective assassin.
    One usually can't really "assassinate" people in Achaea though, 1v1, unless they're afk. With a few special exceptions, every non-team kill is proceeded by at least a short fight from which it is possible to flee.

• Amunet said:
    The Occultists are really protective of our newbs. We are like the helicopter parents of Achaea. If you throw our novice out of your soccer game, we will go to jail for punching the referee. Or go to prison for breaking into the referee's house in the dead of night and forcing him to watch as we torture his family. Either way!
    This right here, I hear about it all the time. I have seen @Lianca unastral in the middle of conversations with a novice, and yell at them then threaten their company. Amunet scared the crap out of others that wandered into Hashan and spoke with me for a few minutes as well. The strict, standoffish nature of the Occultist house has always interested me. For the most part they do it right without going too far. (mind you this is also coming from a rogue Occultist who has been on the receiving end.) It's possible to interact with them positively, but that is a challenge that took me a couple years of playing to really get through, and it's still touch and go at times.

Occultist is a unique class in Achaea with how it's positioned. It's factional without the threats of ruining your game play like Devotion and Necromancy classes have. This puts the players on a path with a few fun approaches: You play the faction and get benefits x, y and z. You don't play the faction and you have to find a way to compensate for those benefits all while tiptoeing around the House because they hate you and see you in light similar to traitors. Rogue Occultists took their skills, and knowledge and are now sharing some of the House secrets with the world, in that aspect Rogue Occies are thieving assholes that don't deserve respect.

TL;DR - The House tends to be reasonable with consequences for rogues. Jinsun can get a little kill happy, but he can be talked with. Rogue Occultist is a struggle paired with flying under the radar. Find a balance of risk and safety and you'll be fine.
  • I skimmed over most of this thread.
  • In have a personal rule for situations like this: "The burden of communication rests on the party best able to make the other party die."
  • I love it when people get called out hard like this. It's one of my favorite things. 

• edited April 2015
    @Ruth:

If I can think of a way to write it more succinctly, I typically just do that instead and spare the wall of text. When I can, I try to TL;DR it, but I've found that increasingly obnoxious to deal with. Here I was trying to articulate a line of argument that is, I think, reasonably complicated, and I'd rather write a long post that more clearly lays out my reasoning than write a terse post that ultimately requires the same or even more text in clarifications to other people's responses. When I've put TL;DRs on complicated things, people have tended to reply to them without reading the rest, and I end up clarifying things in the same way, so the initial effort feels somewhat wasted.

That way, if people quite reasonably don't want to bother to read the wall of text, they can just skip it without feeling compelled to reply to the TL;DR. And while it means a wall of text, it also means that clarifications aren't making up two dozen back-and-forth posts in a thread (instead, only one dozen!). I'm pretty sure my overall wordcount in most threads has gone down since I stopped putting in TL;DRs.

Also, I recognise that I am a long-winded person. This is how bad it is when I'm trying to be more brief. This is how I am in real-life too, but at least here you can skip past my metaphorical turn in the conversation. I'd rather people just skip what I have to say (and it doesn't really bother me when people do that) than just read the TL;DR. Usually people are good about using quotes on these forums, so I think it's rare that understanding any further discussion of something I said requires a complete reading.

TL;DR: I don't think TL;DRs actually work very well.

@Blujixapug:
    1. Regarding conflation of IC/OOC, I phrased that terribly. Ignoring all OOC factors is not what I meant. Looking back, I think it's safe to just ignore that sentence. I definitely agree with you that OOC considerations enter into the equation in many ways, which I think the rest of the post hopefully made pretty clear.
    2. Regarding "If you accept that it is not possible to use PK to force a person to change class, how else can you pursue that goal?", my answer is that this is emphatically not a legitimate goal to pursue. You should never be OOCly interested in a person changing class. You can roleplay that you are interested in someone changing class, but that should never be an actual goal of the player. The sense in which the occultists want rogue occultists to switch classes should be similar to the sense in which Targossans want to eradicate Evil - they should roleplay as though that's their goal, but they should not actually be concerned with achieving it. Put another way: the sensible solution is to roleplay as though PK can force a person to change class, even though you know it won't work. Note that this does not supersede #4/5.
    3. Regarding "If you approach them in a way that they OOC find unpleasant, threatening, unwarranted...", I think one has to be careful here. What I was trying to get across is that we probably don't want a blanket policy of never doing anything another player won't like. Sometimes in the game, the consequence of your actions is being killed. That's going to be a negative experience a lot of the time. You should try to make interactions rewarding for everyone, but that should never be seen as an entitlement as the victim of the consequences of your actions. Sometimes the consequence of your choices is that you become someone else's entertainment.
    4. Regarding "the passive, perceived insult of holding occultist class, and the demanded outcome of 'change class'", I don't think it is at all reasonable to PK someone or take any action beyond perhaps some strong words simply for being a rogue occultist. But that isn't what happened here - he was killed because he insulted the house's ethos to a prominent member, demanded forbidden knowledge, and then threatened to use the naivety of the house's novices to get them to unknowingly break rules to obtain what he wanted.
    5. I think there's still confusion from my badly-written earlier point about RP justification. I meant that the occultists have "RP justification" to PK rogue occultists in the sense that such an action would make perfect sense ICly for them. But at the same time, the sort of justification they have is specifically disallowed by the PK rules to keep the game more fun for everyone - a roleplaying concession that I think everyone agrees is reasonable and healthy for the game. In the broader sense though, I think that the RP justification shouldn't be completely ignored. I think it's reasonable, for instance, to say that precisely how "serious" a conflict has to be before it's legitimate to turn it violent should probably be lower between the occultist house and a rogue occultist than it is between random players. That seems reasonable and fair - there still has to be a conflict and all that, but it affords a little bit more respect for the RP situation. And while that sort of consideration was basically impossible to realise under cause-counting PK rules, I think it's a good thing that there is now a little bit of wiggle room.
    @Nakari:

The rules say the conflict has to be clear and the conflict was plainly clear here. There is a point at which you can certainly assume that the other parties know they are involved in a conflict and I can't imagine anyone claiming that that line was not clearly crossed here - there is no way that someone approaches a member of an organisation, demands forbidden knowledge, denounces the organisation's principles, and then threatens to exploit the organisation's novices, all without understanding that they are involved in a conflict. There are unclear situations where it's not fair to expect a person to know that they're involved in a conflict, but this is pretty clearly not one of them. I don't think the game is improved by asking everyone to handle clear conflict situations with kid gloves because there are also unclear conflict situations.

More importantly, I think you are perhaps confusing "conflict" with "fight", and the rules do not say that both people have to know that the conflict might turn or has turned violent, merely that the conflict itself must be clear. The point is to prevent people from killing someone over a perceived insult when the other person wasn't intending an insult at all and had no idea it was taken that way. And while the OP might be making a claim that he couldn't have known that he was involved in a conflict, I think the additional facts brought to light by others involved make pretty astoundingly clear that he either knew or, at least, could very reasonably be expected to know that he was involved in a conflict. I think it is completely fair to expect people to know that when you issue a threat to an org member regarding that org's novices, you should know you are involved in a conflict. That is a completely reasonable expectation and it would be incredibly silly to insist that someone needs to make clear that threatening to entice a house's novices to break the house rules for personal benefit needs to be informed that that sort of thing might have repercussions, then wait for the person to do something else before acting.

Ultimately, I think the OP was frustrated that there were negative repercussions of his actions (and people can be frustrated even when they know the consequences were earned), and more importantly was under the impression that he was going to be hunted forever just for being a rogue occultist, which I would be very unhappy about too, but which, very much unlike the specific incident under discussion here, is clearly disallowed both for the "forever" and for the "for being a rogue occultist".
  • I doubt the OP really understood what he/she was getting into, even though he did omit key details which is why... I feel like this conversation shifted from bashing some people who do apparently end up on the usual suspects list from time to time (but in this case the killer was probably just a soldier) to bashing the OP because he wasn't completely in tune with all of Achaea's ancient cultural mores.  In short, he may not have realized they'd outright kill him for it.  Also, death in Achaea is a big deal to most people and tends to upset them if they weren't up for it - I really like what Korben just said about that.  

So if some clueless guy comes back from dormancy and does some things that seem silly to people immersed in the game, it's not really so strange that that could happen.  If it were me, I'd probably annoy the shit out of my city mates with questions before spending any credits on anything, but a lot of people actually aren't like that and it would probably be better if he just couldn't have become a Hashani Occultist in the first place.  That's really the takeaway, and if it's fixed for Devotionists now, it should probably be fixed for Occultists if there's really such broad support for it being a factional class.  Right now it just looks messy, and seems to invite trouble, and not necessarily the fun kind since at least one other person chimed in about how she'd just quit the class rather than deal with... whatever rogue occultists end up dealing with.  It seems to usually fall short of justified PK, and I'm actually a little surprised it works, since it doesn't seem like it would have much teeth without that, but anyway... messy, confusing to people who aren't totally immersed (or don't ask a million annoying questions before buying something like a class).    
  • It's always good to have both sides of a situation, and not just the one potentially-biased side explaining it.