Take the roleplay challenge!

Comments

• I feel a bit awkward opening with an OOC message to someone I don't know. Not in general, but only because OOC messages in Achaea are kind of faked, and it feels like they're only OOC by the good graces of the recipient... whom I don't know yet.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Yeah, it can be odd to randomly start chatting someone up that you've never met, but I figure that's the whole point of RPWHO. You're saying to the world, "Hey, if you're bored and want to spontaneously instigate interaction with me, I'm up for it and will not make it awkward."

I've meant to use RPWHO since it came out, but I'm generally so wrapped up in leadership/house work that I'd spend most of my time declining said spontaneous interactions. :/
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    You magnificent, humblebraggin sunuvabitch.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    If I'm on RPWHO, bring a novice and we can have a nice chat about physics or some shit that I can make up off the top of my head.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • TillieTillie VA
    edited April 2015
    I like the idea of RPWHO and wish more people used it. I use it almost every time I log in, and if I'm not working on something, I usually try to randomly bump into someone who is also on the list. I know others may be available and wanting RP, but I usually pick those on the list first (unless I've seen them on the forums mention they want more interaction, but don't always use RPWHO). So more people should use it! 

I like it because I honestly feel, currently, I have no significant reason to bother anyone and do oftentimes need a bit of help swerving Tillie down a road for significant RP. Significant, contextual-based RP is always more fun than just a "slice of life" type RP (for me, personally!) but for my character, I find it hard to find RP without just bumping into someone for no reason- both when I was in a House, and currently now that I am not.  It sometimes comes off as stilted, I'm sure...but my character is a wanderer. So wandering into people is really the only way I feel I can introduce myself to others right now. I'm not a well-respected character, and I'm not a high-ranking official of a character. I also can't see Tillie in one of those positions at the moment, until perhaps she figures out where her path lies.

That's definitely just some personal crap I need to figure out as a player, but I also don't think people should be afraid of just picking someone, running into them, and stirring things up. I kind of have to take a deep breath and sometimes drink a beer before I do it, but I do!

Also, Melodie, that link it awesome.

Also-also, brainstorming, I think, it a good idea - just a bit more intimidating in this realm. I'd be certainly willing to try it if other people are, too!

• Aerek said:
    Yeah, it can be odd to randomly start chatting someone up that you've never met, but I figure that's the whole point of RPWHO. You're saying to the world, "Hey, if you're bored and want to spontaneously instigate interaction with me, I'm up for it and will not make it awkward."

I've meant to use RPWHO since it came out, but I'm generally so wrapped up in leadership/house work that I'd spend most of my time declining said spontaneous interactions. :/
    Unless you are my character. Then it'll be awkward as all hell.
  • edited April 2015
    I think the only interaction I've gotten from RPWHO has been Carmain saying hi, but I'm pretty sure he says hi to everyone. I still keep it on semi-regularly just in case, but when I'm on a character with no detection ability like farsee it's not a very useful list.

Personally, I find OOC communication is better kept at an absolute minimum. I wouldn't want to be messaged with 'wanna rp?'
  • Vayne said:
    Honestly, I've found RPWHO largely useless. It has generated very few interactions for me. Maybe no one likes me is all.
    I love talking to Vayne. :)
  • Kez and Kasya taking care of a group of orphaned snowy owls.

C    11170 Presrvd  a plate of pastry-wrapped owl with melted cheese

Dinner will be ready in an hour.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Kez said:
    Kez and Kasya taking care of a group of orphaned snowy owls.

C    11170 Presrvd  a plate of pastry-wrapped owl with melted cheese

Dinner will be ready in an hour.
    I think our definitions of "taking care" of something vary greatly. ;)
  • I would love to see more use of RPWHO. I've only ever gotten I think two interactions out of it since I found out about it and put it in my login script, but it's a neat idea.

I've noticed that using the pose system also work in a similar way for signalling to passersby that you're maybe interested in more substantial roleplaying. I feel like I've probably had more interactions prompted by that than by RPWHO. Though I'm still terrible at remembering to unpose.
  • Tillie said:
    I like the idea of RPWHO and wish more people used it. I use it almost every time I log in, and if I'm not working on something, I usually try to randomly bump into someone who is also on the list. I know others may be available and wanting RP, but I usually pick those on the list first (unless I've seen them on the forums mention they want more interaction, but don't always use RPWHO). So more people should use it! 

I like it because I honestly feel, currently, I have no significant reason to bother anyone and do oftentimes need a bit of help swerving Tillie down a road for significant RP. Significant, contextual-based RP is always more fun than just a "slice of life" type RP (for me, personally!) but for my character, I find it hard to find RP without just bumping into someone for no reason- both when I was in a House, and currently now that I am not.  It sometimes comes off as stilted, I'm sure...but my character is a wanderer. So wandering into people is really the only way I feel I can introduce myself to others right now. I'm not a well-respected character, and I'm not a high-ranking official of a character. I also can't see Tillie in one of those positions at the moment, until perhaps she figures out where her path lies.

That's definitely just some personal crap I need to figure out as a player, but I also don't think people should be afraid of just picking someone, running into them, and stirring things up. I kind of have to take a deep breath and sometimes drink a beer before I do it, but I do!

Also, Melodie, that link it awesome.

Also-also, brainstorming, I think, it a good idea - just a bit more intimidating in this realm. I'd be certainly willing to try it if other people are, too!

I loved when you came and talked to us! Your RP style is so fun. Do it more!
  • I would, but I'm not sure I'd be much good at it. I generally run out of things to say and end up standing there awkwardly.
  • I had no idea this was an actual thing. Nor posing. Certainly willing to throw my hat in though.
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    1. Default should be RP on

2. If you don't want to RP and just want to bash, that's what ctoff, hntoff, tellsoff and all the rest of the OFF stuff are for.

3. Not being IC should be the exception, not the rule.

4. Not being open for spontaneous RP should be the exception, not the rule.

5. There should be a DON'T WANT RP WHO list, not a RP WHO list.
  • RPWHO? I have to gather stone and wood, people. No time to roleplay only to grind out these comms. Back and forth, back and forth. Stand and wait. Buy more comms at an exorbitant rate! I guess I could RPWHO ON and heckle others doing the same or try to haggle with people for their stone and wood. Hm, I'll consider it!
  • I used to have it on. And when after several weeks noone ever tried to RP with me through this, I even forgot it exists.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Wouldn't read to much into not getting immediate interaction on RPWHO, that's largely because there's only a handful of people that know about it/check it. It's still pretty new, and not advertised at all.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I've been leaving it on, but I've found that it's not what starts spontaneous RP. Running into people and starting random conversations, or heck dying and having someone accidentally pick up my body and drop it in Mhaldor, showing people where things are, or even having to compete for hunting space can cause me to start interactions that lead to spontaneous rp.
  • Shimi said:
    I've been leaving it on, but I've found that it's not what starts spontaneous RP. Running into people and starting random conversations, or heck dying and having someone accidentally pick up my body and drop it in Mhaldor, showing people where things are, or even having to compete for hunting space can cause me to start interactions that lead to spontaneous rp.
    XD funny how your body ended up in Mhaldor. I walked up saw it on the ground. Honoursed you and saw unranked and at first thought oh god poor newbie. XD

• Mhaldor cares.
  • Makaela said:
    Shimi said:
    I've been leaving it on, but I've found that it's not what starts spontaneous RP. Running into people and starting random conversations, or heck dying and having someone accidentally pick up my body and drop it in Mhaldor, showing people where things are, or even having to compete for hunting space can cause me to start interactions that lead to spontaneous rp.
    XD funny how your body ended up in Mhaldor. I walked up saw it on the ground. Honoursed you and saw unranked and at first thought oh god poor newbie. XD
    Still have no idea how it got there! Was all alone in Shala'jen when I died... Or was I?... No seriously I wonder how it got there.
  • I still have no clue. It was just there. XD

• edited April 2015
    One of my big overarching role-play questions is how I interact, more specifically, initiate an RP interaction with people. Being from Mhaldor, I totally understand that I am not going to go up to a Targossian and slap him on the back and laugh about that time he melted my head with acid... But, generally I don't know what the context might be for interacting with anyone who isn't Mhaldorian, seeing as they are all IC "Heathens in need of evil/suffering" and it seems to me that, short of going out looking for fights I've not much to offer in terms of interacting with people outside of Mhaldor. Also, being 'evil' presents the problem for me of how to be "evil/menacing/Mhaldorian" without being rude and giving IC cause to everyone Mulon meets, which is not something I really want to do since it seems kind of jerk-ish to start saying things to another person that IC pretty much obligate them to splat me, they probably have better things to do. (Also I do not like loosing xp, it is not even a question, I will be dead if I fight someone I am that bad at combat.) So, short of trying to convert people, I don't know what kind of reason I would have to interact with anyone on the RPWHO list.

To sort of try to summarize, the problem is, the list is very useful, but I'm not actually sure how to initiate RP, even in Mhaldor, I don't typically end up just walking up and bothering people, as I tend to assume they are probably busy doing their own thing, and I can't think of an IC reason to. Even telling people OOCly is not something I like to do out of the blue since it seems inconsiderate to just break immersion like that.

So, those are some of my RP conundrums. Of course, when I do get RP interactions with anyone I always really enjoy it and think it is awesome. But, again, am trying to think of IC ways to interact without being a jerk...
    There are at least two schools of thought:
    • Purist: Roleplay based on in-character story development, i.e. the characters and situations you encounter in the normal course of play. Everyone starts out as a purist, simply owing to the fact that they don't know other players, and it is arguably better for RP immersion and the immersion of those around you.
    • Player-assisted: Identify players that you are interested in playing electronic action figures with and devise an in-character introduction a priori. Most purists eventually make friends across faction divides, want to write stories together, and take steps towards that end - whether by creating an alt, moving their main, or undertaking a joint project.

• Something I'd advise against is limiting your interactions to those who are on RPWHO. I never use it because it felt too artificial and forced. Don't be afraid to walk up to someone and start interacting. I do that all the time. It's fluid and natural, lets the other player decide at that point if they want to interact or not. I'd definitely recommend RPWHO if you can't find people to roleplay with though. Just don't let that limit you. :)

i'm a rebel

Tesha said:
    Something I'd advise against is limiting your interactions to those who are on RPWHO. I never use it because it felt too artificial and forced. Don't be afraid to walk up to someone and start interacting. I do that all the time. It's fluid and natural, lets the other player decide at that point if they want to interact or not. I'd definitely recommend RPWHO if you can't find people to roleplay with though. Just don't let that limit you. :)
    I don't particularly understand what is so artificial, forced, un-fluid and un-natural about using RPWHO, but it sure rubs some people the wrong way judging just from the shade! RPWHO is great for finding out which stranger ostensibly AFK on the guard stack is going to be around for awhile, wants to RP, and isn't already working with a full dance card.
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    I love rpwho as a rogue, it helps me decide what city to visit next based on who is more active. Recently it has been Hashan, a city I've never been to before, and the results are incredible. Now if those darn spectres would quit trying to rip out my throat... That'd be lovely.
  • edited April 2015
    Herenicus said:
    There are at least two schools of thought:
    • Purist: Roleplay based on in-character story development, i.e. the characters and situations you encounter in the normal course of play. Everyone starts out as a purist, simply owing to the fact that they don't know other players, and it is arguably better for RP immersion and the immersion of those around you.
    • Player-assisted: Identify players that you are interested in playing electronic action figures with and devise an in-character introduction a priori. Most purists eventually make friends across faction divides, want to write stories together, and take steps towards that end - whether by creating an alt, moving their main, or undertaking a joint project. 
    You said it was arguable, so I am going to argue.

I don't think the "purist" mentality is actually better for RP immersion, particularly of the people around you. I think it's pretty frequently worse.

For one, there are two different ways to do "player-assisted" roleplaying. One is where both of you get together beforehand and plan out a scene or something. That can be worse for immersion. But another is just where I say to myself "I want to interact with Herenicus, and I think he's down to interact with me, so I'm going to think up a fun reason to go interact with him". That's totally "player-assisted", but it doesn't hurt your immersion - you weren't privy to my planning, for all you know it was completely natural.

The other thing is that frequently the "purist" roleplay tends to be pretty shallow. Achaea doesn't have the sort of settings and constraints of real life that lead people to interact socially and develop relationships with one another. You aren't trapped at work with people and trying to entertain yourself by chatting over the watercooler. Most of the game's mechanics don't heavily incentivise deep, meaningful interaction. It's unlikely that getting a tattoo from someone is going to involve a substantial interaction unless someone goes out of their way to make it one.

I'm sure there are a few people who make the "purist" thing work (and I've run into a few of them over the years), but in my experience, both as someone who has tried to do that and as someone who has watched a lot of people try to do that over the years, without at least a little bit of artificial emphasis on producing fun, interesting interactions, they largely just don't happen. They're rarer and less satisfying for everyone involved. There just isn't enough natural incentive to interact with people on that level without someone purposefully taking it to that level. And a lot of people who think their interactions are "pure" are usually just benefiting from someone else's willingness to purposefully initiate interaction.

I think anything you lose in immersion by purposefully initiating and deepening roleplay situations is more than made up for by the increased quality and frequency of those situations that results.

There is also a lot to be said for using a little OOC communication to create events that are exciting and fun for everyone involved, but couldn't happen otherwise. There are a ton of situations where the natural, IC reaction of someone to something is going to stop an interesting line of roleplaying dead in its tracks, but where a different reaction is still totally plausible, but would allow for the more interesting RP. A while ago, there was some discussion about starting a neutral, academic-style high clan for alchemists that would allow membership from all cities. Everyone immediately pointed out that the natural reaction of every city in the game would be to ban it. But that's lame! Banning it isn't much fun for everyone, whereas the subtle conflict that it could create could be a ton of fun for everyone involved. That's a perfect example where talking to the city leaders OOCly to come up with a plausible reason why each city wouldn't ban the organisation, which isn't at all hard to imagine, could make things more fun and immersive for everyone involved.

This is a principle with a lot of utility - it's served me well in Achaea and very well in tabletop RPGs. Sometimes an OOC nudge to get someone to go with their second or third most obvious, plausible reaction to something rather than their first is very much worth it.