Take the roleplay challenge!

Will you commit to using rpwho for 1 week and seeing what happens?  Let's make RPWHO relevant and bring some quality RP to achaea!

Also, how do I make a poll?

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited April 2015
    not that anything will come of it, but I'll accept this challenge.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i have rpwho on for several irl months. I rarely see people on it when I am about. I tend to just randomly poke people anyway.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Alright, I'm in

• I turn it on if I remember anyway.

Would honestly like to have some sort of CONFIG RPWHO ON/OFF toggle.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• I'll do it! And I promise to RP with anyone else with RPWHO on who comes up and says hi!
  • edited April 2015
    There is an rp who?

I just randomly check qw pick random name sense them. If they are not in a city (as in standing in I try to ro with enemies) I am enemied to I try to RP with them if they are I bash instead or do something else.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm on RPWHO most of the time as is.

• I'm in.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Klendathu's always on RPWHO. It's a sad state of affairs that we need RPWHO, but them's the breaks.,

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • How to get on RPWHO?

RPWHO ON

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Sarathai said:
    I turn it on if I remember anyway.

Yes please to this @tecton @sarapis please please
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Sarathai said:
    I turn it on if I remember anyway.

Yes please to this @tecton @sarapis please please
    No objections at all! I'll add it to the list!
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Honestly, I've found RPWHO largely useless. It has generated very few interactions for me. Maybe no one likes me is all.
  • Vayne said:
    Honestly, I've found RPWHO largely useless. It has generated very few interactions for me. Maybe no one likes me is all.
    I'm not sure how it works, honestly. Look at the list, see a name, and... what? Are they hoping someone will waltz up to them and initiate something? That's weird. Do they already have a plan for what they want? It's damned intimidating. Are they expecting a player-run event, or just the random stuff you do with the random people you meet? Why not just do the random stuff with the random people you meet...

Rather just meet someone and threaten to eat/cook them. Works every time.
  • Vayne said:
    Really do like your character, I just usually don't have many reasons to talk. :(
    Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited April 2015
    Yeah. I guess that's the big downside of RPwho - while it says you're up to roleplay (though personally speaking, I don't find using the who necessary), that doesn't really give a context on why you're randomly bugging them. If I have a reason to bug someone I want to talk to, I just do it, whether via tells, letter, or sneaking up on them and scaring the bejeebus out of them.

RPwho by itself doesn't really give me an actual reason to bug people. :disappointed: 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I like RPWHO, I am just usually not super available so I haven't used it yet, but was cool to see the list grow this week! I will give it a try soon.
  • Adding a short message to RPWHO might be cool.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited April 2015
    Kez said:
    Vayne said:
    I'm not sure how it works, honestly. Look at the list, see a name, and... what? Are they hoping someone will waltz up to them and initiate something? That's weird. Do they already have a plan for what they want? It's damned intimidating. Are they expecting a player-run event, or just the random stuff you do with the random people you meet? Why not just do the random stuff with the random people you meet...

Rather just meet someone and threaten to eat/cook them. Works every time.
    In seriousness, I agree with this general sentiment. I also think it is hard for people in different factions to just initiate conversation under that pretense. While many may be able to make the transition naturally, other might find it more difficult, especially when you have never contacted the person before and you just strike up a conversation out of the blue fishing for something.

I usually flag myself when I am in a public place or scope out others that are flagged in public places. I then go there and strike up general conversation and see who bites, whether it be the flagged person or someone else. Again, sometimes it's a flop and I slink back to Hashan, and other instances this, despite this being one of the more organic approaches I can think of, does not work merely because I cannot access that public place or would not be welcome there.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I'm a bit terrified of RPWHO, because ideas that develop organically are much easier to run with for me than spur of the moment. Achaea is a very fast-paced game and so you don't get a whole lot of time to determine how to react. And I may or may not freeze under pressure. 
  • http://rpgens.tumblr.com/miniscenario Don't be terrified.  I think a polite msg to people with the flag is good etiquette. Honestly if you took the time to flag yourself for roleplay wouldn't you enjoy recieving such a message?  I think another idea is to use a character background generator to come up with ideas for possible conflicts or elements of your own history to delve into.  For example, I used this generator for some basic ideas and plugged in some names in this thread and got some fun ideas:

@Melodie and Tezcatlipoca are reincarnated lovers only they don't know it yet.

@Kez and @Kasya taking care of a group of orphaned snowy owls.

@Tristyn is hired to spy on @Vayne.

etc

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    http://rpgens.tumblr.com/miniscenario Don't be terrified.  I think a polite msg to people with the flag is good etiquette. Honestly if you took the time to flag yourself for roleplay wouldn't you enjoy recieving such a message?  I think another idea is to use a character background generator to come up with ideas for possible conflicts or elements of your own history to delve into.  For example, I used this generator for some basic ideas and plugged in some names in this thread and got some fun ideas:

@Melodie and Tezcatlipoca are reincarnated lovers only they don't know it yet.

@Kez and @Kasya taking care of a group of orphaned snowy owls.

@Tristyn is hired to spy on @Vayne.

etc

In actual seriousness, I've done this sort of thing before... it's actually 100% how everything between Mel and the Nihilists happened. I knew Morro a bit OOC, we got to talking about cool things, and eventually made cool things happened with several players. Cool things that actually got the attention of a few Divine, in the end (even if not very favourably!)

I'm definitely not against the concept of OOC messages, but I don't know if RPwho was instituted as a way to say you're open to OOC messages, even if about roleplay opportunities. That seems sort of paradoxical? I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just looking at it too closely.

Anyway, I'm not against giving this (the OP) a try for a few days and seeing what happens!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
     I think a polite msg to people with the flag is good etiquette. Honestly if you took the time to flag yourself for roleplay wouldn't you enjoy recieving such a message? 

Ugh, no! The whole reason I use RPWHO is to avoid the need for (OOC) messages asking if I want to RP.

Because Klendathu is mortal head of Vastar's order, I believe it's incumbent on me to RP. I remember people having their credibility docked for infractions of RP rules, if this still happened, perhaps there'd be no need for RPWHO.

• Rpwho is good because it creates a sense of welcoming in players who might otherwise be intimidating to younger players or new RPers. I like it. I should rpwho on more often.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Ah sorry @ Klendathu  I should keep in mind not everyone has the same personality.  I know for myself I appreciate it only because sometimes I am in the middle of something like for example right now I am trying to come up with my background, description, history, etc so that I have a better concept of my character and I am good to go when the opportunity strikes!  Also still a lowbie so I am working on city tasks and stuff.
    Don't want to be open to spontaneous RP? RPWHO OFF. When you're done with your task, RPWHO ON. Simples.