New Web Client 2.4 Beta Discussion

edited April 2015 in North of Thera
See news post Announce 4311 (http://www.achaea.com/game/news/Achaea/Announce/4311), link to the client is http://newclient.achaea.com/.

Feedback can be left via Client Settings feedback tab in-client, but I figured a forum thread would be nice to spark discussion.

I like pretty user interfaces, so I'm excited about this. It kind of reminds me of the original Achaea website.

What do you think of it?

Comments

• I'm not sure how abuse got added in there as a tag, and I can't take it out. What a cruel joke.
  • No idea what's up there with the abuse tag, but I wouldn't worry about tags too much. They are rarely used.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I have to say, I like the new character random name generator. Might have to return to that to choose a name for my kids someday.

Need a music toggle button on the homescreen / new character creation screen though....
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I've only tested it on my phone. It lags far less on newclient.achaea.com than client.achaea.com. I can't add in settings or whatever on a phone but at least the scrolling back up to look at stuff is smooth. I like it how when you read a help scroll, a scroll/parchment thing pops up with the words. It looks pretty.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited April 2015
    Can't connect to it, still. Enter character name/password, and it shows me the GUI and everything then just kicks back to login. Can't even see what the error is. Old client still works perfectly fine.

• After a quick look the things that would drive me up a wall is:

* Can't use escape to clear command bar of whatever I have typed in.
    * The scripting/triggers/aliases environment is weird and confuses the hell out of me.

• Daeir said:
    Probably a browser security setting/addon/antivirus plugin that disables websockets or something.
    Had the same issue. Tried it in FF - works like a charm. 

Funnily enough - my Firewall doesn't affect it at all. 
  • Rangor said:

* The scripting/triggers/aliases environment is weird and confuses the hell out of me.

You're not the only one! We're going to give this part of the client a bunch of love in 2 releases.
  • A few things I love:
    Server side telnet connections. (seriously? Why couldn't this have been a thing like 10 years ago!)
    The map looks amazing
    Toggling windows
    Status bar is so cool, especially the time indicator.
    Help windows spawning in a new window
    The communication window is very nifty and friendly.
    The tasks tab seems really newbie friendly and is a vast improvement on the IG quest log and tasks tab.

Things I think need improving:
    As mentioned, the scripting/trigger/alias area is kinda weird.
    Maybe some functions on the client that will allow someone to configure the curing system easier.
    Along the same lines as above, the targeting system.
    When opening a help file or on any movable window having an area that indicates a click and drag location. Something along the lines of a title bar.
    Help files could maybe be spawned in a window that is not restricted to the client? Undocked maybe? Not sure the terminology for this.
    Last one: editing settings in an offline mode.
  • Tekk said:
    Dear god yes.

Ideally, when you logged out it wouldn't immediately take you back to the login screen, but would let you keep changing settings - and save those settings - with an actual button to take you back to the login screen.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tael said:
    Tekk said:
    Dear god yes.

Ideally, when you logged out it wouldn't immediately take you back to the login screen, but would let you keep changing settings - and save those settings - with an actual button to take you back to the login screen.
    Unfortunately, you need to be connected to the game to save your settings!
  • edited April 2015
    Tecton said:
    Tael said:
    Tekk said:
    Dear god yes.

Unfortunately, you need to be connected to the game to save your settings!
    What about a connect/disconnect mode? You log into the Achaea account, but you can deactivate your (remote) telnet connection and still be inside the client.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Could you not do the same thing using journal? 
  • Austere said:
    Could you not do the same thing using journal? 
    Huh - I didn't think about that. It's a bit of a weird workaround, but I guess it works.
  • Neither this nor the old client work properly on my tablet anymore.

Whenever I type the client reduces itself to half the screen size. It's impossible to do anything. Resets itself when I click highlighted text or the scroll button, but as soon as I type or touch the input box it goes half screen again.

Using latest chrome with latest stock android os.
  • Goes half-screen meaning the virtual keyboard pops up?
  • No.. The whole thing just shrinks. I have a half screen of blank space. I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard.

Though now that you mention it it is probably scaling to accommodate a keyboard in that space even though it doesn't need it.
  • edited April 2015
    Ahh, yeah, that sounds like that's exactly what it's doing. I'll add that to the bug list.
  • It would appear that all of the fancy drag-to-reorder functions are broken in this build. I can't reorder Reflex Packages or reflexes or drag triggers into groups.
  • It's WAY more helpful to report bugs via the feedback tab just fyi, as then all relevant parties get alerted.
  • If we reported a client bug In-Game, should we resubmit it via the feedback tab?
  • Yes, please do.