New Sentinel Discussion

Hey everyone, 
  I noticed all the previous topics for Sentinels are old, so I wanted to make a new topic for sentinels for everyone to discuss the new skill sets for Sentinels, as well as any other questions that may pop up.

I'll start off with what Sentinels can use for hunting.

***- Hunting -***
We Sentinels have a few abilities we can use for hunting. I will list them below.

- Returning -  
Works on/against: Adventurers and denizens

Cooldown: Balance cost varies based on weapon speed

Details: This ability will allow your axe to return to your hand when thrown. It

can target adventurers and denizens in room, but only adventurers in

line of sight. 

**(I actually prefer to use Returning when hunting due to the attack speed of the throwing axe. Being the fastest hunting skill we have, I feel much safer using it due to the fact I'm able to hit and run ALOT quicker if needed. Also, the extra attacks per minute lead to more critical hits. My balance recovery for Returning is currently 1.6 seconds with Axe of Gaian Fury)

- Thrust -

Cooldown: Balance cost varies based on weapon speed

Details: This is a basic thrust with a spear or trident.

**(This attack is slightly slower than Returning, however in turn does slightly more damage. Also, it's slightly weaker than Maul, but in turn quicker. I currently get a 2.4 second balance recovery with a forged spear.)

- Maul - 

Cooldown: 3.25 seconds of balance

Details: Rend your victim with your claws and teeth.

**(This is going to be your slowest, but strongest hunting ability. I prefer faster movements so I tend to stay away from Maul. However, More damage means that if you do land a critical strike, it's that much sweeter. Balance recovery is stated above.)

Hunting with a Sentinel is all about personal preference. I hope this helps out a bit with Hunting attacks.

Feel free to add more Sentinel information below, or ask questions. I'll try to answer.

Comments

• In every case I've found thrust does significantly more damage than maul when hunting. However, against players, maul wins by a landslide. Strength is the only thing that affects maul damage, if I'm not mistaken. So what all factors into thrust damage, aside from the weapon stats?

I'm a layman(woman?) when it comes to numbers and combat, so feel free to explain it to me like I'm two!
  • edited March 2015
    What Nicaara said. You were testing damage against adventurers, but if you look at percentage changes in the health of denizens, Thrust is significantly better in damage, and it's faster. I'm not sure about accuracy with lower Skirmishing, but given that you don't need Throw in Weaponry, it's also superior to Thrust. I didn't do much testing of Returning vs. Thrust since I didn't have Throw and was missing over half my attempts.

EDIT: Did some testing. All tests were against sneering gnoll guards.

Returning using a forged axe did approximately 23% damage, and had a balance of about 1.9 - 2.0 seconds.

Maul did approximately 33% damage and had a balance of about 2.9 - 3.0 seconds

Thrust using a forged spear did approximately 44% damage, and had a balance of about 2.6 - 2.7 seconds.

Assuming 100 health:
    • Returning did about 11.5 dps,
    • Maul did about 11 dps,
    • Thrust did about 17 dps.
  • Well, I stand corrected! Haha, that's what I get for testing against adventurers though. I didn't know there was a difference. I'm going to have to test them myself when I get the chance. Just to see the difference with my Artefact axe, and forged spear. Thanks for your input.
  • I'll edit my first post when I get a chance as well, and I'll state that you corrected me too so you get credit. I just don't want the first post to show incorrect information  :)
  • Nicaara said:
    In every case I've found thrust does significantly more damage than maul when hunting. However, against players, maul wins by a landslide. Strength is the only thing that affects maul damage, if I'm not mistaken. So what all factors into thrust damage, aside from the weapon stats?

I'm a layman(woman?) when it comes to numbers and combat, so feel free to explain it to me like I'm two!
    Maul damage is also increased by knuckles, fwiw.
  • I tested my thrust on a ferocious manticore, and did 22% with a 2.9 second recovery. and Returning did 12% with a 1.5 second recovery. So, Returning is slightly better for myself dps wise. Even more so since more attacks means more crits.
  • Comitis said:
    I tested my thrust on a ferocious manticore, and did 22% with a 2.9 second recovery. and Returning did 12% with a 1.5 second recovery. So, Returning is slightly better for myself dps wise. Even more so since more attacks means more crits.
    That's because you have a L3 artie axe. An L3 artie spear would probably even things back out