Continuing to RP worshiping dead Divine?

13»

Comments

Shaitan? :/

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Ain't no sunshiiiine when He's gone :(
  • @Lodi I totally called this one. You saw it. I called it.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Shaitan is now Sartan once more. Unsundered.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • edited November 2012
    So how are you Miramar people doing with all of this? Rean's pretty much just checking in with the NPC Mats used to interact with the Order, but not having anything at all to respond to makes it feel pretty awkward (and honestly a little frustrating to continue). Are you guys getting any sort of guidance or even a single response from your order NPCs? I haven't gotten anything so far.

Kind of sucks that the library got nuked, though, that part doesn't make very much sense to me. It had Order works in it. Also, Order arms got removed from everything they were on, which just seems illogical as well - it would be like taking Clementius' arms from people's shields if they still have it. Doesn't hurt anything, more of a RP device than any mechanical benefit.
  • Taking this.. not really up or down a notch, but more to the side. I began reading into Lady Tarah only after She became Sycareux's dinner.. I'm now an unofficial member of an Order that doesn't exist anymore, and as a House-Mate I know was a proper Concordion, she's now teaching me.

If their Way lives on, even after Death, Their teachings were not in vain.

• I've never quite gotten people who 'order hop' to be honest. I agree with Sylvance that worshipping a 'dead god' is similar to worshipping a 'absent god'. There've IC years where the mortal leader and I were the only ones about and many times when I've been the only one about. Yet those who know me in game, know that the two constants in my IC life that don't change are my faith and my family.

It can be a tough road and recruiting people to an order where the god is not obviously about is somewhat of a challenge to say the least but it's able to be done however it takes a lot of time and patience.
  • Jamethiel said:
    I've never quite gotten people who 'order hop' to be honest. I agree with Sylvance that worshipping a 'dead god' is similar to worshipping a 'absent god'. There've IC years where the mortal leader and I were the only ones about and many times when I've been the only one about. Yet those who know me in game, know that the two constants in my IC life that don't change are my faith and my family.

It can be a tough road and recruiting people to an order where the god is not obviously about is somewhat of a challenge to say the least but it's able to be done however it takes a lot of time and patience.
    I would argue that it is quite understandable that some people want to be part of orders in which they are actively given opportunities to rp and interact with others and a divine. Hopping can be healthy for the game overall, as that way active players are part of active organizations lead to a more active world.

Besides which, it makes it a whole lot more of an interesting choice to continue worshiping a fallen god. If everyone did it it would be down right boring

• edited November 2012
    With the passing of Mithraea, Siena has been coping somewhat nicely. It was neat to roleplay her in this instance even though I was extremely sad a couple of days after it happened. Recently after Mithraea's death, Siena and Milabar got into the temple and got to interact with the NPCs for like 15 minutes or so and that was it.

I don't like how she lost her order item though when no one else did.

• edited November 2012
    Jamethiel said:
    I've never quite gotten people who 'order hop' to be honest. 

I think it's one of those things that makes no IC sense whatsoever, but follows the 'I want to enjoy the game' line of thinking.  It makes as little sense to change Orders in many cases as it does to change class, House or race, but I totally get why other people do it. All that said, I very much agree with the sentiment of your post; I sure as heck would not still be a Siren Bard right now if hopping made any kind of RP sense.

ETA: BM swords. You humgii-ers should be ashamed of yourselves. 

(Spolier: Yes, that last is a troll)
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • What @Sylvance said. It makes no sense to class-hop, like I do, and I regret it from an RP perspective, but in terms of game enjoyment, I've depended on the game mechanics that make it possible.

That being said, I can think of plenty of IC reasons to order-hop. Opportunists, a drastic event in one's life that causes one to lose faith in the Divine in question, seeking out knowledge for curiosity's sake that leads to such a change, etc... Like most things, it can be done IC and well, but it all depends on the player.

Back to the original topic, Ephram will continue following the Seasons, even if Melantha is dead. It's something he's studied, something he has faith in, and something he needs right now because the IC philosophy of one season leading to the next, and growing through that is what's getting him through... So he'll lean heavily on that even though as a character he's been given a rather blank slate.
  • Siena said:
    With the passing of Mithraea, Siena has been coping somewhat nicely. It was neat to roleplay her in this instance even though I was extremely sad a couple of days after it happened. Recently after Mithraea's death, Siena and Milabar got into the temple and got to interact with the NPCs for like 15 minutes or so and that was it.

I have not logged on to my Mitran character in RL years but hearing this makes me very very sad.
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    Nobody should have lost Order items! At least, we didn't specifically take them away, though it may be possible to lose track of them through carelessness.

• edited November 2012
    What is the proper way to contact someone behind-the-scenes for technical help regarding Orders (edit: deleted Orders)? Unless it was intentional that the library get deleted, I'd like to re-make it (or at least, part of it) and one of the books was written by a denizen, which I can't make her re-do. When I was thinking about alternatives, writing it and just adding a note that she wrote it felt a little tacky. 
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    I had an ask around and I think we may have a spare copy of the book in question lying around. Just file an ISSUE ME with all of the details and we'll see what we can do! As a side note, I don't think we'd ever deleted gods in this bombastic a manner before, so honestly even we weren't entirely sure what was going to happen. Fortunately, in most cases (looking at you, Mithraea), the worst that happened was libraries being deleted wholesale.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Siena said:

This could be a case of someone making a profit.

(could not resist, nor do I know how to make my writing any smaller)

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Aktillum didn't really get too indoctrinated in Miramar's order so no, I don't see him continuing to "worship". But Vastar survived the event so maybe they're bringing him back, I'd love for that to happen.

• edited November 2012
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I'm setting things up to try to form a high clan, hopefully I'll have things prepared by the end of the event to see if forming a high clan is necessary or not. You're the best. :) 

(Above was to @Babel of course, late edit! I didn't realize how many people posted, haha. Also, so jealous you guys got npc interactions out of your gods dying. :()
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    Babel said:
    I had an ask around and I think we may have a spare copy of the book in question lying around. Just file an ISSUE ME with all of the details and we'll see what we can do! As a side note, I don't think we'd ever deleted gods in this bombastic a manner before, so honestly even we weren't entirely sure what was going to happen. Fortunately, in most cases (looking at you, Mithraea), the worst that happened was libraries being deleted wholesale.
    Burn!
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    In my own ways, I was worshiping Daedalus since I started, and will probably continue to do so. Nothing's really changed.. He was never really around in the past either.

• Aktillum said:
    Aktillum didn't really get too indoctrinated in Miramar's order so no, I don't see him continuing to "worship". But Vastar survived the event so maybe they're bringing him back, I'd love for that to happen.
    no, don't say that, you're going to jinx it. He's doomed now. I've avoided any sort of raving about his current survival and then you go and ruin it.

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    I believe from what I've seen from the new gods of good/order there is a way that the people that were in the old orders will be able to move into these new orders.  Having been a member of Miarmar's order for many years.  I knew what justice was.  Justice is still there it's just not the focal point anymore.  Each person is going to have to decide which of the gods they want to follow now.  I sat down and talked with an old friend and we discussed the two new gods of the refugees so that I could decide which one was going to be the one I wanted to follow.   Will i miss Miarmar?  Yes, I'm also depressed that the temple that we helped to design is gone.   I always found it to be a restful place away from the city.