[Runewarden] S&S spec, missing a lot of attacks

So, I started recently.
I'm sort of a complete newbie, sort of not. I played Aetolia 5 years ago, then real life happened, then now I'm back in another MUD.
I've always played a magic class, so being a melee class is quite unfamiliar ground to me, especially since the entire game system apparently changed 3 days after I started.

Anyway, now I'm a Runewarden on Sword and Shield. To be honest I'm don't really know what I'm doing.
My problem is that I miss a lot with my broadsword. And I mean a lot. I miss about 75% of all my attacks. I've died several times because I just keep believing that, maybe the next attack will hit, but nope I miss, and pop I'm off to see the guy underground. (Yeah I know my moss and potions, but it's still frustrating)
Of course, I know that my skill level in Weaponry and Weaponmastery has got to do with that, but I don't really know at what point I'll see a difference. It's one of those pile-of-sand questions isn't it? And I can't afford to put lessons into both, because Runelore wants attention too, and then Chivalry, and then there's still tradeskills...

So I'm actually more of looking for a reassurance that raising my Weaponmastery will improve my aim, or general tips, or just flat out tell me I'm doin' it wrong, then tell me what to do.

Sorry if I come across as incoherent, I'm a stream of consciousness writer.
Also, this is my first post... I usually lurk, but this thing has been bugging me.

Best Answer

Answers

• Rule of thumb pre-changes was don't use Long/Broadswords until Virtuoso in Chivalry, I would assume that translates over to Weaponmastery (maybe you could even start them earlier since the to-hit of Longs/Broads is fairly high compared to what average forging stats used to be).
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    New Announce regarding training weapons:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4258
    Date: 01/08/2015 at 21:09
    To : Everyone
    Subj: Rico, the Theran blacksmith

Rico, the Theran blacksmith is the proud purveyor of a series of new training weapons, designed to aid the most inexperienced wielder to hit their target! His current wares include: Shortswords, longswords, broadswords, scimitars, battleaxes, flails, morningstars, and rapiers.

Weaponsmiths will also find that these modified weapons will now be applied automatically when using the "training" descriptor (in all new forgings).

Penned by My hand on the 25th of Chronos, in the year 673 AF.

Should help somewhat!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • And the higher to-hit weapons are in. Not quite as high as I expected, but they might help a bit with the accuracy issues.

Rico, the Theran blacksmith shouts, "Sapience, I have exciting news!"

Rico, the Theran blacksmith shouts, "I am now producing a variety of weapons for even the most inexperienced hand."

Rico, the Theran blacksmith shouts, "Come visit me in New Thera to see - you'll find scimitars, longswords, broadswords, battleaxes, flails, morningstars, rapiers, and shortswords!"

Proprietor: Rico, the Theran blacksmith.
    --------(Item)------(Description)------------------------------(Stock)--(Price)
         scimitar532524 a training scimitar                            25    2000gp
                        Dmg:  37;  To-hit: 194;  Spd: 216
        longsword532761 a training longsword                           25    2000gp
                        Dmg: 104;  To-hit: 194;  Spd: 167
       broadsword270977 a training broadsword                          25    2000gp
                        Dmg: 136;  To-hit: 194;  Spd: 140
        battleaxe532957 a training battleaxe                           25    2000gp
                        Dmg: 144;  To-hit: 187;  Spd: 133
            flail532971 a training flail                               25    2000gp
                        Dmg: 122;  To-hit: 194;  Spd: 149
      morningstar532985 a training morning star                        25    2000gp
                        Dmg:  55;  To-hit: 218;  Spd: 192
           rapier533132 a training rapier                              25    2000gp
                        Dmg:  36;  To-hit: 194;  Spd: 216
                       (Songblessed)
       shortsword533217 a training shortsword                          25    2000gp
                        Dmg:  99;  To-hit: 275;  Spd: 137

• Why no Bastards/Warhammers?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    The training rapier starts out songblessed?!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Forged rapiers do too.
  • RIP grotto. Was nice knowing you.