Anyone ever get ignored for a RP IC problem?

13»

Comments

• That doesn't really work long-term. Unless the ability to do something like "allowtells except Jinsun" is added.
  • Yeah, I'm not going to turn all my tells off to ignore one person.

I do have a script that gags certain people (e.g. Laytron) who spam Market, and I could apply it to tells as well, but as with TELLSOFF, I'd prefer there to be some kind of reply message like "Can't talk now, send me a message if it's urgent."
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I pretty much keep everyone important on my allowtells list and just ignore the rest at the times where I do feel the need to turn tells off. Most people will send you a message if they really want to get ahold of you. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited December 2014
    It's petty uses of ignore like that which contribute to the reason a lot of us want to see the ignore system revised. You do realise that ignoring someone means they're literally not allowed to seek you out at all, unless they unintentionally came across you or you instigated the interaction? - for example, you attack them first, you steal from them, you defile or raid against their organisation, etcetera. Ignore has historically (and unless it's been otherwise stated, currently) is used to prevent harassment. If someone repeatedly talks to you or engages you with no good reason against your stated wishes then it's perfectly fine for them to be ignored. 

Ignoring someone because they insulted your character once or twice is poor form.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    yes

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    no
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Halos said:
    I can honestly say I've never been put on ignore by anyone. What are you people doing that other players are putting you on ignore?

edit:
    You are ignoring:
    You are ignored by:
    Mycen

wtf @Mycen when did this happen

You must have shielded when she was sniping and sent her into rage mode.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    Snub was an absolutely terrible mechanic abused by numerous individuals to get out of PK conflict. I once meta-snubbed a slew of fighters just to prove how terrible and consequence-debilitating it was (for conflict I initiated). Ignore was supposed to be better. Ignore was not supposed to impact PK repercussions in any way. The help scroll is explicit in that. You must also supply a reason, which you never had to do with Snub prior, so I'd argue that Snub had less moderation than Ignore. 

But the fact is that depending on what divine volunteer is up as Meletus when an issue comes through, there are still instances when you're told, "NO. That person has chosen to Ignore you. That means he/she wants nothing more to do with you. Stop attacking them.."  - even though they are a Mark, infamous, are bashing on an Open PK plane, are attacking you, are hiding and then following you around to gain experience, are threatening everyone in your family, etc. 

It would be great if Ignore operated the way it was supposed to with Ignore not impacting PK in any way, but that's not always the case. I think this may have something to do with the fact that not all divine volunteers have the same level of familiarity with HELP PK but that's pure speculation, and I don't mean for it to sound as though I'm bashing any volunteers effort at mediating conflict by saying so.

Personally, I think the need for a hard switch to ignore anyone is stupid. If people can't get along because their personalities don't mesh, that's one thing. Conflict is what it is. It is part of what makes Achaea great. When there are concerns about recurring harassment (and not reading the Help file before making an allegation about harassment should come with its own smack down) the person experiencing it shouldn't be told, "Well, place him/her on Ignore..." That's like telling a rape victim to change schools if he/she doesn't want to see her attacker before the case goes to court....
    But having been a victim of harassment in Achaea more than once before I also think it should be punishable by more than 14-30 days away from the game. When you harass someone you've shown yourself to be the lowest level of filth there is in the gaming community. Your credibility should bottom out. Instead of you having the power to ignore anyone, you should be muted at first so everyone can automatically ignore you when you first come back from being a fly-infested philodendron to ensure your RP potential is zero until you can mature socially enough to not be a total asshole when a conflict comes up again. When you get your voice back, you should still have to build up your credibility - it should take longer to do this than it does to have extreme infamy wane and it should hurt you far more for far longer. In short, you should have a black banner of toxicity painted over your character's persona IF, IF, IF you are even allowed back. Then there will be no need for Ignore or Snub or any other hard switch because people will actually care about whether being a total dick - to the point of carrying on persistent and unwanted behavior that is an intentional attempt to intimidate, offend, or upset someone else in the game - leads to an Issue for it. [Spoilered because I realize this became a mini-rant]

For those of you that this is tl;dr here is the short version of my response:

Using it because "I don't want to get tells from this person" says more about you than it does them. 
  • Only one person has me on ignore and that was because I told him to stop asking Lannah and Amaranda to pose naked for him to paint. Made me laugh when he did it.
  • Vastar said:
    As it seems any mention of ignore ends with the same posts from you, Bluef, allow me to correct you.

The ignore function does nothing to impact PK. At all. If you have a reason to kill someone, then they ignore you, you can still kill them, and the administration will not step in.

When both parties have each other ignored, are both issuing each other, and are overall doing nothing but attempting to make the other miserable, then the administration will tell you to move on with your day, stop acting like children, and end the lover's spat once and for all. That is what happened. It had very little to do with the ignore function.

• Vastar said:
    As it seems any mention of ignore ends with the same posts from you, Bluef, allow me to correct you.

The ignore function does nothing to impact PK. At all. If you have a reason to kill someone, then they ignore you, you can still kill them, and the administration will not step in.

When both parties have each other ignored, are both issuing each other, and are overall doing nothing but attempting to make the other miserable, then the administration will tell you to move on with your day, stop acting like children, and end the lover's spat once and for all. That is what happened. It had very little to do with the ignore function.
    That's actually not what happened. That's an exaggeration of a situation that is very similar to an attempt at petty character assassination. But your'e a divine and arguing against you would be pretty futile. I'll be happy to further test whether the ignore function impacts PK though. Onward!
  • In b4 please carry this to messages....
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited December 2014
    @Elphaba You weren't the type of person I felt like talking to since, while I was standing at rally you "playfully stole from me" then gave it back and decided you were just going to be flat out rude. I was losing my temper and before I really started something. I ignored you. I also find the "troll"for of character to be a good reason to ignore someone. Hence ignoring Dajio. Hence ignoring you before I killed you. Trust me. You like ignoring over killing.

• Ok crazy pants.
  • Caoimhaen said:
    Trust me. You like ignoring over killing.
    Dunno about @Elphaba, maybe they do like ignoring over killing, but if this is a general statement in any way, I give it my full disagreement. If your character killing mine is basically a completely logical reaction to whatever my character's doing, go for it!

I might be hardcore though, or something silly like that.
  • Everyone ITT who uses ignore for non OOC stuff is kind of misusing it.
This discussion has been closed.