Serpent and Multiclass

Addama said:
Since Serpents don't seem very tied to spiritual/religious RP, I don't think it's outrageous to multiclass Serpent/Shaman.  The only problem I'd foresee is that your PVP might suffer, since Serpents are Dex-based and Shaman more Con/Int based.

I am posting this here so the spiritlore thread isn't derailed again.

So its been bothering me, why would my PVP suffer, as far as I understand it, you will only be one class at a time with multiclass right? So as a Dex based Raja I can be a decent PvP serpent and just be shaman for rp. And how I see it this would be the case for any multiclass serpent since they are the only class that is dex based, or is this going to change soon?

Comments

• If one of your classes is just for RP, then it doesn't matter. But if you want to bash or PvP with both classes, you'll be hindered by the fact that the classes use different stats.

For example, if I multiclassed monk/runewarden, I could use either one effectively because they both depend on the same stats. But combinations like runewarden/magi or serpent/anything would have to choose a set of stats that's subpar for one of the classes.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    While Serpent is more heavily dependent on DEX now, you should not be heavily penalized as a shaman for it. Your main loss still be in mana and wp which can be supplemented in other ways.
  • HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited November 2014
    Does Jester depend on Dex at all?  What would be a good combination with a serpent (if that ends up being how multiclass works)?

The Gem that changes your race may become a much more popular artifact when these changes come out!
  • Herose said:
    Does Jester depend on Dex at all?  What would be a good combination with a serpent (if that ends up being how multiclass works)?

The Gem that changes your race may become a much more popular artifact when these changes come out!
    Nothing else depends on Dex like Serpent, which is a shame because yeah, that makes it difficult to be effective fighting as any other class.

It's been said, I think by Tecton, that they want to make other class skills more dependent on attributes (i.e. Dex making certain attacks faster) but for now Serpents are the only class that benefit from Dex in such a way.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Dex is sexy. Gives you a leaner figure.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I'm planning on doing Serpent/Runewarden or Serpent/Blademaster, which I don't think will be that big an issue (hopefully).

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Cooper said:
    On a side note, cross your fingers that tecton and company will realize this will be an issue and allow us to have separate stat and trait specs for each class you gain.

Plz
    You bring a valid point: All this talk is mere speculation about how things will actually work.

• If (as previously suggested) we aren't provided separate race/spec/trait sets for each class, then you could always get a gem of reincarnation and/or a Tome to help with this.  Neither of these are bad to have in general, so you definitely wouldn't just be buying it just for multiclassing.

Seriously hope that's not necessary, but considering that one of the main factors in why multiclass is good for IRE to add is that it's a massive credit sink, so encouraging artefact purchases is always a possibility.
  • Yeah, I hope 1000+ credit artifacts aren't necessary to do multiclass well.
  • Ernam said:

If (as previously suggested) we aren't provided separate race/spec/trait sets for each class, then you could always get a gem of reincarnation and/or a Tome to help with this.  Neither of these are bad to have in general, so you definitely wouldn't just be buying it just for multiclassing.

Seriously hope that's not necessary, but considering that one of the main factors in why multiclass is good for IRE to add is that it's a massive credit sink, so encouraging artefact purchases is always a possibility.
    BEHOLD! Praise be, ALL machinations and manifestations of the mighty Credit Sink; we adulate and applaud Thee!

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Hey, girl."

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

• Antreus said:
    Ernam said:

If (as previously suggested) we aren't provided separate race/spec/trait sets for each class, then you could always get a gem of reincarnation and/or a Tome to help with this.  Neither of these are bad to have in general, so you definitely wouldn't just be buying it just for multiclassing.

BEHOLD! Praise be, ALL machinations and manifestations of the mighty Credit Sink; we adulate and applaud Thee!

• I bought a grimoire and a gem months ago in anticipation of this.  Considering each class is going to be like 900 credits to tritrans,  it is not out of the question that you would need both to be effective.  I doubt everyone is going to have the credits to multiclass anyway.  I am just hoping that picking up another class isn't a 1000 credit artie. I am sure more than one extra class would be,  though.  This is a business after all. 
  • I was kind of expecting to want a grimoire for this. Maybe they could enable like 2 trait/race respecs per year per class you have. Or 1/year for each additional trans skill outside your first class.
    So if you were 3 tri-trans classes, you'd have 6 resets per year. Could even be a pool of resets to use for either
    trait or race. (which is an anagram of 'race traitor', unintentional)
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I actually think it will be fine if it requires the artefacts.

That would mean that most people will be restricted to having multiple classes that are, in some minimal sense, related. I think that would go at least a little way toward making multiclass more palatable from an RP perspective. Someone who is a Runewarden and also a Paladin or an Occultist and also an Alchemist seems at least slightly less jarring than someone who is a Runewarden and an Occultist - it's fine if there are some of the latter people, but it would actually be kind of nice if the system encourages more of the former.
  • Wasn't it going to be limited to two classes?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Jukilian said:
    Wasn't it going to be limited to two classes?
    I think this is what most people are expecting, at least starting out, but as far as I know there's been no official confirmation.