Mhaldor's Escarbuncle

So I understand what an escarbuncle is but the terms "Escarbuncle O"  "Gules"  and "within a bordure of the second" illude me even after an hour of wiki and google reading. If anyone could give me a rough sketch or even a decent picture that would be great. I'd like to get it tattoed on the top of my hand.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Let's see Gules would be the field, so that would be a red shield with the escarbuncle in gold (Or). Not 100% sure what a bordure is yet. 

Edit: so a bordure is a border around the edges of said shield. Probably white in this case, but not too sure on that. But if it's a tattoo, really, you're probably better off with just the escarbuncle rather than the whole shield considering the position you want it on. :P
  • edited September 2014
    Something like this:

But with the mullet (the star) replaced with an escarbuncle.
  • Ahh, that's what of the second means. Make sense.
  • I could never figure out what the brandings looked like because I was like...whats an escarbuncle? Oh well. My branding is erm burned flesh? :P

• www.letmegooglethatforyou.com

• Mhaldor's slave brand is an 8-point star.  Wear it with pride, worm.
    *Animated Signature*

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Heraldry is hard, I know.

Try HERADRYWHO MODERN MHALDOR

It turns this
    Mhaldor       Gules, an escarbuncle Or within a bordure of the second --
                  Cypra, Herald
    into this
    Mhaldor       a gold escarbuncle within a gold border, on a red background --
                  Cypra, Herald

This won't help you with the meaning of escarbuncle as a symbol but it puts all the rest of it into normal terms.

A casual google search led me to this site which has real life heraldry symbol meanings. I c/p'd the relevant bit below: 
    The escarbuncle is a symbol of supremacy. In ancient warfare iron bands stemming from the center and radiating outwards were used to strengthen the shield for better protection in battle. Over time the pattern made by these bands was adopted as a charge and called in heraldic terms an escarbuncle. It is also a representation of a brilliant gem.
    Keep in mind that whatever you find on google is just a guide. Achaean symbols acquire their own in-game meaning through local events and lore. Thus, the escarbuncle may actually have other connotations.
    Mishgul said:
    Googling is for chumps. I just take a guess and then believe in myself, because I am the ultimate authority in my perception of reality. The escarbuncle is a caramel pastry donut and no one can stop me while I wield it.
    like that :|

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The symbol of supreme caramel pastry donut. 

Hail Sartan!

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited September 2014
    Zii said:
    Mhaldor's slave brand is an 8-point star.  Wear it with pride, worm.
    I do wear it with pride. In fact. I wear it with pride as it's on the inside of my left palm as I punch and kill mhaldorians. Poetic really. 

• Caoimhaen said:
    Zii said:
    I do wear it with pride. In fact. I wear it with pride as it's on the inside of my left palm as I punch and kill mhaldorians. Poetic really. 
    I wear it with pride on my forehead.
  • edited September 2014
    You know, I'd never actually considered that non-heralds were so ignorant of heraldic terms. I put a lot of thought into Silas's heraldry, and any of the heraldry I've had a hand in designing - makes me wonder what people think when they see it if they're unfamiliar with the terms, and if they just imagine it as a strange but colourful morass.

ETA: Hilariously unwieldy commands aside, I'd highly recommend Achaean heraldry to anybody as a text-pastime. A lot of care and attention has been put into the system by a lot of people who know what it all means, and unravelling it all is a lot of fun.

• I'll confess that I don't have half a clue what heraldy is, means, or does.

• Caoimhaen said:
    Zii said:
    What idiot branded you on your palm. I don't brand cattle on their hooves, jeesh.

Also just imagine chaos marines when you think Mhaldor. Same insignia really.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • This fucking thing. When I sketched Shirszae, I spent so much time re-doing that damn scar until it looked alright. Eurghnnn.
  • Anedhel said:
    This fucking thing. When I sketched Shirszae, I spent so much time re-doing that damn scar until it looked alright. Eurghnnn.
    Lol yeah I'm going to confess, I got to the carbuncle part of her description was like "wtf  :|". My first guess was some kind of foot callous or edible sea creature. After googling it and trying to figure out the ins and outs of drawing that as a scar, I just went "Hell no, she's scarred on the other cheek mkay."
  • I knew what it was, having worked with heralds a bit in-game, but drawing it's a totally different bunny.
  • Aepas said:
    What idiot branded you on your palm. I don't brand cattle on their hooves, jeesh.

Also just imagine chaos marines when you think Mhaldor. Same insignia really.
    Got it on my left palm. Will be keeping it there permanently. Plus it's the only excuse I will EVER have IC, OOC, or in any other dimension to use the word, "escarbuncle".

• edited September 2014
    @Psykhe - Is my reading comprehension severely flawed, or are you planning on getting an Achaea tattoo irl?

[edited because I spelled Achaea wrong woops]
  • Thanks for the they help, and the entertainment.
    I was never planning on the entire heraldry, I just wanted to have a good idea of what all that meant.
    I'm working on a sleeve and I like the escarbuncle, it fits my other designs and placement as well.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    It's always reminded me of the Helm of Awe:

• edited November 2014
    Mishgul said:
    all this time i thought an escarbuncle was some kind of pastry
    It sounds more like some kind of tumor. What am I thinking of...

EDIT: Never mind.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbuncle
    Don't click if squeamish or digesting food. -.-
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • "Carbuncle" can refer to a kind of abscess, a red gemstone (not any particular kind of gemstone (though it's usually garnet), just any gemstone that's red, especially dark or fiery red), or the heraldic charge.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Xith said:
    Mishgul said:
    all this time i thought an escarbuncle was some kind of pastry
    It sounds more like some kind of tumor. What am I thinking of...

EDIT: Never mind.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbuncle
    Don't click if squeamish or digesting food. -.-
    escarbuncle