Snake Loyal

So I was in a house, had a viper. once I left didn't realize I'd lose my viper. Now I have a rattlesnake, thats fine but if I had cudtomized my biper woukd I have lost the custom job? Also could I make my snake a cobra, asp, or viper with customization when they are hoise snakes?

Comments

• edited October 2014

Once you customize it, you keep it for as long as you remain serpent.

Generally you can't customize it for free unless you're in a house though.

• As for the second question, I think it's safe to assume that you would not be allowed to customize your snake with the exact description of one of the standard house snakes, but beyond that, it's hard to say for certain what would or wouldn't be approved. My guess would be that you could probably do a customization that was the same general type of snake as one of the others (cobra, viper, asp, etc), but that the description would need to be sufficiently different from the standard house snake that it would be unlikely to be mistaken for one. So you might be fine with something like "a mottled brown chain viper" but not with "a green eyelash viper". That's just what I would do if I were making the decisions, though, so don't take it as a definitive answer or anything.
  • Yeah that's what I figured. Wish I had customised it while I could have.
  • You still can, you'd just have to pay for it like a normal customisation. It's not a given that your House patron would have been willing to customise it for you if you'd asked, or that she wouldn't have rescinded the customisation when you left. It's worth remembering, also, that customisations of class loyals are lost if the loyal dies, which means you'd want to be very careful about not leaving your snake anywhere it might be killed, especially since snakes are quite weak as such things go; it's not much of an issue with falcons, since you can set them to flee if they get too low on health, so it's pretty rare for them to die, but I would guess that's a lot of the reason you don't often see custom snakes. 
  • If you don't want to worry about the snake dying and losing the customisation, you can get the snake a Collar of Lupus for 250 credits. That will make it reset to you (keeping any customisations) so it can't permanently die.

• Kinda stupid that you have to pay 350cr to make a pet that already resets to you for free reset to you.

But that's how it go.

• Yeah I've been keeping my snake out of combat anyway so that wouldn't be a problem, and its always with me, either at my feet or in my inventory. Though if somebody attacks my snake in the arena would it die for real?

• They respawn instantly in the arena.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Problem is if I remember correctly you drop it when you die, at which point your enemy usually slaughters it.
  • oh well than maybe I won't customise until I can afford a collar of lupus so it'll reset to me.
  • New question on snake loyals, hiw do the custom snakes work with the new houses? fir example do members of Mhaldors new houses now get Asps like the naga used to?
  • HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    We used to get Adders.  Now we get silly rattlesnakes. 
  • edited November 2014
    Misread this as Shark Loyal.

(rest of this post removed cause I'm an idiot :))
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    The new houses will eventually get new custom loyals. Default snake is a rattlesnake.
  • edited February 2015
    I have a question... I currently have a viper due to being in the SL house, however when I came back from a break the house has been disbanded but I still have my viper (I'm cityless and houseless). I've died quite a few times so far and never lost my green eyelash viper it'd always summon back to such. If I join a new house somewhere will I lose it or since I already learned it while I was a SL thats my viper from this point forwards even if it dies or I die some more?
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• You won't lose it if you die, but if it dies you will lose it (unless it's collared). I don't think you'll lose it if you join a new house, but I'm not 100% certain.
  • edited February 2015
    Sena said:
    You won't lose it if you die, but if it dies you will lose it (unless it's collared). I don't think you'll lose it if you join a new house, but I'm not 100% certain.
    You will almost positively (edit: Like, 99.99% sure, if not, it's a bug,) lose it the second you join a new House. Honestly, it's a bug that you still have it to begin with.
  • Cobault said:
    You will almost positively (edit: Like, 99.99% sure, if not, it's a bug,) lose it the second you join a new House. Honestly, it's a bug that you still have it to begin with.
    Keeping the same snake when you leave a house is intentional (unless it's been changed semi-recently without an announce?), and it's been that way since snakes were introduced, with guilds.

Looks like you're right about losing it if you join a new house though.
  • ...You serious? I swear when I left SL my viper poofed and turned straight to a rattlesnake, only to almost immediately get turned back to a cobra.

But yeah, I knew joining a new House would make it re-pop.
  • Sena said:
    but if it dies you will lose it 
    I'm not so sure that's true any more...
     Announce post 4268: Serpent pet snakes that have been made permanently loyal and reset to their owner will now reset with 50% health when they are summoned after being killed.

I kind of assumed this meant you would keep the same one even if it dies.

• That's referring to collared snakes ("that have been made permanently loyal and reset to their owner"), normal snakes don't reset when they die.
  • Sena said:
    That's referring to collared snakes ("that have been made permanently loyal and reset to their owner"), normal snakes don't reset when they die.
    Ah, see, totally was reading that wrong. Thanks!!!!

• Just as an update here... I had the viper from when I was a SerpentLord, went to Mhaldor, joined a new house, still had access to my viper no problems. However during a raid my viper was killed and sadly I no longer have the viper now. It was a very sad day for Kit.
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."